This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
getting nmea0183 from a NASAMarine Duet
I'm quite sure that it outputs only "real" N2K via the CAN interface.
Maybe just get in contact with him to add some NMEA0183 output on the serial (USB) line (should be fairly straight formward).
(2023-05-02, 05:19 PM)wellenvogel Wrote: I'm quite sure that it outputs only "real" N2K via the CAN interface.
Maybe just get in contact with him to add some NMEA0183 output on the serial (USB) line (should be fairly straight formward).

I contacted the guy who wrote the ClipperDuet2N2K and his response is that the NMEA2000 data is forwarded to the USB/serial port in Activesense format, so SignalK will be bale to deal with it.

I am waiting for the ESP32 dev board to ne delivered so I can play with it, connect it to a RasPi running OpenPlotter to see what happens.

I will update once I have more news.

Yiannis
--
Sailor and techie or techie and sailor?
Whichever way I am in the right place
(2023-05-04, 04:51 PM)yiannis Wrote:
(2023-05-02, 05:19 PM)wellenvogel Wrote: I'm quite sure that it outputs only "real" N2K via the CAN interface.

I contacted the guy who wrote the ClipperDuet2N2K and his response is that the NMEA2000 data is forwarded to the USB/serial port in Activesense format, so SignalK will be bale to deal with it.

I am waiting for the ESP32 dev board to ne delivered so I can play with it, connect it to a RasPi running OpenPlotter to see what happens.

I will update once I have more news.

Yiannis

Hi yiannis, I wonder if you have made any progress on this...I'm about to start pulling together the kit to build this
Delighted to report that this project works a treat and I now have NASA Clipper Duet Speed and Depth in to SignalK. 

https://github.com/speters/ClipperDuet2N2k

Some newbie errors on my part Blush and so thanks to Sonke who built this for getting me through those.
(2021-01-13, 09:22 PM)Phil_Shotton Wrote: This is very interesting, thank you. Do you think the NASA Depth Gauge works the same way (obvs without the log!)?

I've been trying to build an NMEA output using the secondary gauge connection as described here but the code is much more complicated (not helped by there being no code repository and the code in the atricle being affected by formatting and html escapes. I've built the module and yet to get it to work successfully, not helped by having limited access to the boat due to Covid lockdowns.

Hi!

After reading you, I managed to do the DIY tuto to get NMEA0183 data from the Nasa Clipper Depth and I made some mistakes that I would like to share with you guys, as the authors of the tuto and code writers, Peter Holtermann and Victor Klein ( Thanks, men!)  did more than perfect all  the incredible work ,  but the last part ( how to connect it to the raspberry) is not described in the tuto, so I had to suffer some trial-error during my installation, but finally with a happy end..

First of all, use just Original Arduino, not clones. As I am new in arduino, i bought a second hand clone, and I could inject the sketch and it worked,but randomly hung; making me crazy. After many readings, somebody said that clones give weird errors which make you confused as you try all means to fix them when they are just hardware failures. So bought an original new, and worked like a charm.

The second thing is quite risky for the PI integrity and its peripherals; I fried one USB serial converter and left the USB ports hurted and dead in power for several hours and restarts. I switched it off and after a couple of hours, Usb power came back to life. The reason of this risky failure is caused by the fact that the installation done as in the tuto in Openseamap tuto, powers the arduino with the 12V signal fund in the poles of the DIN Cable. And when you connect the USB , then the arduino switches to USB (5V) power source, having to manage 2 different power sources with 2 different voltages. In some clones, the backfeed blocking diode is weak or non existent, allowing the flow of 12V through the USB cable until the Raspberry USB port, damaging it and other plugged peripherals. BE CAREFUL! I was lucky and my Raspberry resurrected, but for several hours, it was like injured... Sad 

The solution is quite easy: to the arduino ports, just plug the  SCL and SDA poles from the DIN cable , and let it be powered just by the USB cable, only one source of power. Don't plug 12V+ and 12V-.

The rest is easy, create a serial connection with NMEA 0183 output ( Arduino will be detected as an USB serial RS422 converter), and launch it to Signal K with the standard Nmea 0183 bauds rate (4800).

Very cool to have now Depth readings in Signal K!

It's easier to do it than to read it, so don't hesitate to do it, it worths and it is a very cheap improvement for all those like me who have the cheap but reliable NASA gauges ( I do have clipper tactical Wind and CLipper depth sounder)