This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can NMEA 0183 v1.x / RS232 (NASA Wind) device interface with MacArthur Hat
First post - apologies for any inaccuracies.

I am trying to get my MacArthur Hat (purchased Feb 24) to read data from my NASA Marine 5 wire Wind System.

Similar has been discussed elsewhere and I understand that the NASA wind outputs RS232 via 1 data wire and one ground wire. I have measured the output voltage and it is 5v between ground and data wire. Others have got Signal K to receive this data using a RS232 to USB adapter - I've not read anyone interfacing this with the MacAthur hat directly which is what I want to achieve.

(Interestingly I have a similar vintage NASA GPS repeater which listens to RS232 and I am feeding that and my Northstar VHF directly from the same MacArthur HAT 0183 output. I have done this for the GPS repeater by connecting Tx1+ to the blue wire, Ground is shared from battery and +12V from the battery too.)

I have tried connecting the NASA WIND data wire (blue) to Rx1+ and the Ground/Shield (black) wire to the Rx- Hat 0183 input and the LED lights but no sentences are received. So in summary Port 1 on the hat is active and transmitting data which is understood by the RS232 NASA GPS repeater, but the same port isn't getting any sense out of the NASA WIND input.

I have disabled Checksum validation - as I understand early 0183 doesnt send it. I have also selected delete null values. And actually every permutation of the input settings. Also set the baud rate to 4800 which I understand is correct for this device.

Very grateful for any pointers or success stories.
Think you are out of luck, the 3 wire system outputs nmea but not the 5 wire - it outputs an analog signal. I had a 3 wire going into a Nasa metioman display which sent sentences with the wrong checksum.

This one outputs nmea
https://www.nasamarine.com/product/tacti...st-sensor/
Thanks Paddy,

My understanding so far is that on the back of the display unit which the 5wire mast head unit connects to there is nmea0183 output. Others have managed to read the data out of this using a rs232 to usb adapter.

My query is really, can the hat read the old two wire (0183 v1.x) rs232 signal?
(2024-07-04, 10:32 AM)wellsy Wrote: Thanks Paddy,

My understanding so far is that on the back of the display unit which the 5wire mast head unit connects to there is nmea0183 output. Others have managed to read the data out of this using a rs232 to usb adapter.
Ah, possibly. If you have the display. Didn't see that you were connecting to the display unit.
I have an Advansea Wind S400 wind system which has a NMEA 0183 output: 1 data wire + 1 ground wire. I connected it directly to Mc-Arthur Hat (NMEA1 input). I connected the data wire to the Rx1+ input and the ground wire to the Rx1- input of the Hat. And it works correctly.
Configuration Rpi5-8GO+NVMe+Mc-Arthur
(2024-07-03, 12:20 PM)wellsy Wrote: First post - apologies for any inaccuracies.

I am trying to get my MacArthur Hat (purchased Feb 24) to read data from my NASA Marine 5 wire Wind System.

Similar has been discussed elsewhere and I understand that the NASA wind outputs RS232 via 1 data wire and one ground wire. I have measured the output voltage and it is 5v between ground and data wire. Others have got Signal K to receive this data using a RS232 to USB adapter - I've not read anyone interfacing this with the MacAthur hat directly which is what I want to achieve.

(Interestingly I have a similar vintage NASA GPS repeater which listens to RS232 and I am feeding that and my Northstar VHF directly from the same MacArthur HAT 0183 output. I have done this for the GPS repeater by connecting Tx1+ to the blue wire, Ground is shared from battery and +12V from the battery too.)

I have tried connecting the NASA WIND data wire (blue) to Rx1+ and the Ground/Shield (black) wire to the Rx- Hat 0183 input and the LED lights but no sentences are received. So in summary Port 1 on the hat is active and transmitting data which is understood by the RS232 NASA GPS repeater, but the same port isn't getting any sense out of the NASA WIND input.

I have disabled Checksum validation - as I understand early 0183 doesnt send it. I have also selected delete null values. And actually every permutation of the input settings. Also set the baud rate to 4800 which I understand is correct for this device.

I have a Nasa Clipper 
and using this  

baud 4800
Validate Checksum  no
Append Checksum  yes
Remove NULL characters yes
Sailing in a LM23  23" motor sailor i Danmark  .  Mostly In Koege bay  .
Harbored  in SF-Syd  , Copenhagen .
Marine Enginer  ,   Pt. working on power plant 
(2024-07-05, 09:25 PM)winkaj Wrote:
(2024-07-03, 12:20 PM)wellsy Wrote: First post - apologies for any inaccuracies.

I have a Nasa Clipper 
and using this  

baud 4800
Validate Checksum  no
Append Checksum  yes

Thanks winkaj,

Can I also ask what the breakout wire from the back of the wind display unit is like? Mine has 3 wires blue, red and black. Black is definately ground because it is bonded to the cable shield. But I have had different results out of red and blue. I notice the one for sale on NASA Marine now only has two wires. (https://www.nasamarine.com/product/clipp...put-cable/) When I bought it, the same item has 3! 

What wires/configuration do you have and how have you connected them to the HAT?

John
(2024-07-06, 01:42 PM)wellsy Wrote:
(2024-07-05, 09:25 PM)winkaj Wrote:

I have a Nasa Clipper 
and using this  

baud 4800
Validate Checksum  no
Append Checksum  yes

Thanks winkaj,

Can I also ask what the breakout wire from the back of the wind display unit is like? Mine has 3 wires blue, red and black. Black is definately ground because it is bonded to the cable shield. But I have had different results out of red and blue. I notice the one for sale on NASA Marine now only has two wires. (https://www.nasamarine.com/product/clipp...put-cable/) When I bought it, the same item has 3! 

What wires/configuration do you have and how have you connected them to the HAT?

John
PT. i dont use the winddisplay  ,   because  you cant use parallel  load  .
Later  i will try to send nema out from the RPI  to the display .
Sailing in a LM23  23" motor sailor i Danmark  .  Mostly In Koege bay  .
Harbored  in SF-Syd  , Copenhagen .
Marine Enginer  ,   Pt. working on power plant 
So for anyone trying to connect a very old NASA marine 5 wire wind system here is what I have found out thanks to the contributors above for helping piece it together.

There are two verions of the old NASA marine 5 wire wind unit. As Paddy pointed out the 5 wire system is an analogue comms between the masthead unit and the display.

There is a DIN port on the back of the display but in the original 5-wire units this was an I2C connection for a repeater display - directly driving the LCD display on the repeater. This is not wind data so can't be interpreted by the HAT. This is the version I have.

The newer version of the 'old' 5 wire system also has a repeater display output but this version uses NEMA 0183 comms (Pin out attatched). This can therefore be used to convert the 5 wire analogue signal from the mast head unit to NMEA 0183 and be fed into signal K using a rs232 to usb adapter

The current wired version of the NASA Marine wind system is known as the 3-wire system and the masthead unit outputs 0183 from the masthead which can go straight into the HAT as described above by winkaj.

I am still uncertain if the HAT can read the old RS232 (v1.x 0183 NMEA) directly on its NMEA 0183 ports. It sounds from what ckoissa says that they have it working with a ground and data wire input which I think means it is the v1.x version of 0183 running rs232 and so that sounds like it is capable.

Attached Files Image(s)

It would be interesting to see a scope trace of the data coming out of the NASA device.

Generally, for debugging NMEA 0183 inputs: The NMEA 0183 RX LED should be off when idle, and blink on when there's activity. If the LED action is the other way around (on when idle, blinking off when active), swapping +/- wires may help.

Actisense has a great document about the electrical details of NMEA 0183: https://actisense.com/wp-content/uploads...-4-1-1.pdf