This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clutch driver ?
Is there a clutch or bypass solinoid driver ?

Most electro mechanical below deck drives have a clutch.
These seem to require 2-5ADC. 

Hydraulic rams on cable steered boats usually have a normally open bypass solinoid.
Some autopilots drive the solinoid with DC for a short time to close it, then change to a pulsed output to save power.
(2018-06-27, 04:41 AM)NahanniV Wrote: Is there a clutch or bypass solinoid driver ?

Hydraulic rams on cable steered boats usually have a normally open bypass solinoid.
Some autopilots drive the solinoid with DC for a short time to close it, then change to a pulsed output to save power.

Yes.   For controllers based on brushless esc, the third phase (unused) pulls to gnd can be used for a clutch, already works on my controllers.

For the high current controller, there is also a terminal for this, and I intend to adjust the duty cycle to allow a reduced holding current to conserve power.
(2018-06-29, 03:54 PM)seandepagnier Wrote:
(2018-06-27, 04:41 AM)NahanniV Wrote: Is there a clutch or bypass solinoid driver ?

Yes.   For controllers based on brushless esc, the third phase (unused) pulls to gnd can be used for a clutch, already works on my controllers.

For the high current controller, there is also a terminal for this, and I intend to adjust the duty cycle to allow a reduced holding current to conserve power.

Great !

We will be moving aboard a boat in November that has a Raymarine TypeII rotary drive.
The Specifications say typical power consumption 60-84W and the clutch output of the recommended controller is up to 4A.

So, it looks like I would need the high current controller.

If you are implementing the reduced duty cycle to save power, I think it should be configurable on/off or solenoid/clutch because it should only be used with solenoids not mechanical clutches since it would reduce the maximum torque of a clutch.

Cheers,
JM.