This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Radio receiver with a fun cube dongle pro plus
At last! It works, a good few years ago I bought a fun cube dongle pro plus as a little present to the boat, and finally it works on the Pi. 
http://gqrx.dk/download/gqrx-sdr-for-the-raspberry-pi
Download the zip file onto the Pi then in a terminal change directory to where the downloaded file is and run >   tar xvfJ gqrx-sdr-2.11.5-linux-rpi3.tar.xz
Then go into the gqrx directory and run > 
chmod +x gqrx
Then run >  volk_profile
And wait a while, then in the same directory type ./gqrx.
And you should be up and running, with the fft display turned down to 1fps or off audio is largely stutter free. I've a hifiberry amp so can play back over the speakers, listening to the local airport tower this morning. Lots fun :Cool
Also can save to an audio file so you can record weather faxes then open in fldigi to decode into an image. 
Should work with a RTL dongle though haven't tried it yet. 
[Image: 30Xd0B3.png]
Hello, Paddy,
What is the difference to the built-in gqrx?
What is your CPU load?
I had tested the built-in gqrx once. I had the problem of CPU load. It was at 100%.
Greetings Jürgen
Angel  Entschuldigung für mein Englisch. Es ist "deepl.com english"
PN bitte auf german.  Big Grin
(2018-08-17, 05:25 PM)Luckbert Wrote: Hello, Paddy,
What is the difference to the built-in gqrx?
What is your CPU load?
I had tested the built-in gqrx once. I had the problem of CPU load. It was at 100%.
Greetings Jürgen

Not sure just how the linked software is different except that it actually works!  Cool

Uses a load of processor but doesn't crash and only occasionally stutters when scrolling through frequencies. 

Very happy with it, not much the Pi doesn't do now  Smile

[Image: 8OVBE71.png]
Automated  weather satellite images! Now wouldn't that be cool offshore, though the antenna looks a bit silly..
Anyone tried that on a Pi?
Somethings different!  Had another play with this and it seems so much more solid now, before it would crash quite often but now seems just fine! Such a cool gadget, have a listen across the airwaves or record a weatherfax. Very happy this morning Cool

[Image: jrUSOlY.png]
And maybe the clearest weatherfax image I've ever received! Tuned into Hamburg on 7878hz then recorded the sound on Pi3 with funcube dongle connected to an insulated backstay with the boat in a boatyatd, did a little resample using SOX down to 11.025hz sample rate and mono, then copied the file over wifi to a win10 laptop and decoded in JVCOMM. Even managed to get a little bit of an image from a satellite (noaa18) just using a ham 2m/70cm antenna. Happy days and bodes well for next time the boat gets into the ocean again Cool

[Image: wPil70H.png]