This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OpenPlotter v2.x.x is coming!!
(2019-04-11, 03:59 PM)NahanniV Wrote: Some suggestions for your upcoming beta version:

Default OpenCPN Connection configured to 127.0.0.1:10110
Localhost will not work, this will work out of the box.

Kernel updated to latest 4.19.xx
VC4 driver with fake KMS support enabled.
In my testing this seems to be the most stable, fastest, and least resource intensive configuration.
Along with this default the OpenCPN config to OpenGL on, no texture compression chacheing.

Touchscreen driver included or optional.

Music player included or optional.

Thanks for the great distribution you have created.

Cheers,
JM.

Why localhost will not work? it is working now.

Kernel is always updated to the current stable version when a new image is created.

AFAIK VC4/ KMS are still beta, I do not know is a good idea setting opengl by default. I would prefer to make a mini-manual to optional enable it and experiment.

Are not the touchscreen drivers already included?

VLC as music/video player is included

Thanks for your suggestions
i have tried VLC on the rpi3 before it was a disappointment and i uninstalled it and used omxplayer..
i love VLC and have used it for years but it just didn't work well on rpi.
has something changed with it to make it work better now.?

edit: found this i might need to give it another go...
https://www.techrepublic.com/article/ras...an-update/

"After a lot of work (by people far cleverer than me), we are now able to announce that Raspbian includes a fully hardware-accelerated version of VLC."
I use clementine for music/podcasts etc. Works really well.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk
(2019-04-11, 07:19 PM)Sailoog Wrote:
(2019-04-11, 03:59 PM)NahanniV Wrote: Some suggestions for your upcoming beta version:

Default OpenCPN Connection configured to 127.0.0.1:10110
Localhost will not work, this will work out of the box.

Kernel updated to latest 4.19.xx
VC4 driver with fake KMS support enabled.
In my testing this seems to be the most stable, fastest, and least resource intensive configuration.
Along with this default the OpenCPN config to OpenGL on, no texture compression chacheing.

Touchscreen driver included or optional.

Music player included or optional.

Thanks for the great distribution you have created.

Cheers,
JM.

Why localhost will not work? it is working now.

Kernel is always updated to the current stable version when a new image is created.

AFAIK VC4/ KMS are still beta, I do not know is a good idea setting opengl by default. I would prefer to make a mini-manual to optional enable it and experiment.

Are not the touchscreen drivers already included?

VLC as music/video player is included

Thanks for your suggestions

Sorry, localhost is working now, I could not get it to work when I started with Openplotter.
But, do you include a default OpenCPN Connections configuration ?

Hopefully Kernel v4.19.32 or higher.

Yes VC4 is Beta, has been for a long time. But it gives the best experience for OpenCPN, fast, low resources, enables full functionality of OpenCPN. The bugs are not any worse than with the old driver, and there is a chance to get them fixed. Since OpenPlotter will also be Beta, it seems like it might be a good time to get people to try it. If that reveals a problem then it can either be fixed or revert to the old driver.

THere is no way to calibrate a touchscreen. I downloaded a driver from the manufacturer, but perhaps there is a generic driver.

I will try VLC.

Thanks again for all your work.
Cheers,
JM.
Yes, ther is a default opencpn conf. Next version includes default configuration checking processes.
How much further the exit of v. 2? Good idea for the dongle of o-chart. Good luck and fair winds.
(2019-03-22, 07:55 PM)Sailoog Wrote: First of all sorry for the delay posting this thread, some things should be decided and tested before.

We are glad to announce that OpenPlotter v1.x.x reached more than 10,000 direct downloads in one year. Torrent downloads are not included on this amount. We have learned a lot from your feedback and now we have an idea about what you need, what you do not, what you do not like or what you do not understand. Some apps like Signal K node server, pypilot, OpenCPN... have evolved a lot so we will try to apply all these improvements and everything we have learned on v2.x.x.

To know if we have achieved some of our goals we should remember them:

1. One million euros
  2. Be an alternative to expensive and proprietary devices in our boats
  3. Use only free technologies and collaborative projects
  4. Save advanced users time by installing and configuring all the necessary tools
  5. Help beginner users to become advanced users introducing them in the use of free technologies
Still thinking how the hell we are getting 1 so let's focus on the rest.
We are sure that we are close to seeing the first open boat equipped with just free technology and environment/social friendly devices.
Some advanced users use OpenPlotter as base system to develop their own installations to fit their personal requirements. We will make a big step on this direction publishing a superscript to create OpenPlotter images and NOOBS files from scratch using any Debian based computer like Ubuntu. This way advanced users will be able to add/remove packages or settings creating custom OpenPlotter flavors.
We feel that somehow we have failed getting 5. Our weak point is the documentation so we need to fix this. Our time and human resources are limited and we had to choose between developing or documenting and what was developed made obsolete the little documented. Our plan to solve this is maintaining only the English version and let people make their specific tutorials in their languages or let localized forums do this work. This way is how projects like OpenCPN work. We will write just a technical reference. English is not our first language so I am afraid it will be plenty of mistakes, helps us with this please. We would like to say thanks to advanced users who help others on this forum, thanks to them the lack of documentation has not been so critical.

What is new?
  • Superscript to create OpenPlotter from scratch.
  • Lighter image and NOOBS files.
  • OpenCPN 5: https://opencpn.org/OpenCPN/info/beta.html
  • Xygrib: https://opengribs.org/en/xygrib
  • New and complete online/offline documentation in readthedocs.org. All future versions will be on the same repository. Links to offline docs on every feature.
  • Telegram support. Create your own telegram bot easily. Trigger remote actions from Telegram bots and send messages to Telegram bots and groups from OP.
  • Take and send pictures by twitter or telegram with a webcam.
  • Grafana+InfluxDB support to manage logs and create dashboards.
  • Winlink support? it depends on free space on the final image to add the required packages.
  • New languages
What changes?
  • We will maintain only the English version of docs
  • GPIO management integrated into Actions.
  • MQTT management integrated into Actions.
  • Actions feature is based on Node-Red. There is an OpenPlotter interface to manage actions for Node-Red newbies.
  • Now we use Node-Red embedded into Signal K node server.
  • SMS support is removed.
  • AIS-SDR using both channels simultaneously.
  • Improved CAN management. MCP2515 support.
  • Incremental and improved update procedure to avoid long and heavy downloads.
  • Improved network management
  • Improved pypilot integration
  • Now kplex is optional. You can use it to set filters to your NMEA 0183 inputs/outputs.
  • Improved serial device management. Diferent options are now more explicit and guided.
  • NMEA 0183 generator is replaced by "Signal K to NMEA 0183" Signal K plugin
  • Deviation table is removed.
  • Calculation is replaced by "Derivated data" Signal K plugin
  • New "accounts" management, now is "credentials".
  • Improved Moitessier HAT management and installation.
When?

We are waiting for OpenCPN to be released and then we will let the dust settle because some plugins will still need work. We will release OpenPlotter v2.x.x in 3 stages:

- We will publish a beta in openmarine for betatesters and translators.
- We will work on documentation while people is testing and translating.
- We will publish a release candidate with fixed issues and translations before the final release.

Will you have to burn an SD again?

Yes. Every OP major release needs to be installed from scratch in an SD. This is a problem for all of you who have bought charts from o-charts because you are forced to consume one of your 2 allowed systems for every chart. Remember that every time you reinstall OP you consume 1 o-charts license.

As some of you already know I work as o-charts employed too (until we get the million euros of course). O-charts and OpenCPN team we are working on a USB key dongle solution. You will be able to assign one of your 2 allowed licenses to this really small device and you will be able to run your charts on any computer where the dongle is plugged in. It is not an storage device where you save your charts but an special piece of hardware to decrypt your charts installed as usual on any machine. Reserve one of your 2 shots for the dongle.

And that is all, do you have any suggestion/request?

It´s very interesteing
OpenPlotter is running here for some time with the VC4 Full driver switched on. Latest kernel version 4.19.42 is working excellent with OpenGL on. (No texture chaching)

Works fast and reliable on my RPI3B+.

Also done the latest updates of Raspian.

What an improvements have been made. What is upholding the update to version 2.00 ??

Users can do the updates themselves of the kernel and Raspian.

But new users of OpenPlotter are stuck with the old mostly outdated software.

Regards,

Bram
(2019-05-16, 11:37 AM)verkerkbr Wrote: OpenPlotter is running here for some time with the VC4 Full driver switched on. Latest kernel version 4.19.42 is working excellent with OpenGL on. (No texture chaching)

Works fast and reliable on my RPI3B+.

Also done the latest updates of Raspian.

What an improvements have been made. What is upholding the update to version 2.00 ??

Users can do the updates themselves of the kernel and Raspian.

But new users of OpenPlotter are stuck with the old mostly outdated software.

Regards,

Bram

next 2.x.x will be based on the new kernel 4.19.42 of course. But since opengl is still experimental I do not think it should be enabled by default. We will tell how to enable it in docs. Opencpn is really fast with opengl...

We are close to finish the beta. Working hard now in the pi-gen script. It is hard to give a date...
It would be really good if you could find a way to upgrade without having to write a new image...