This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Open Plotter & Navionics AIS support
This seems to be exciting news for users of Navionics. Seems it supports AIS data now ( as of July 4th ). Has anyone had any luck getting Openplotter to connect to Navionics on Apple or Android device? There is not much info on the Navionics website what is needed to get this to work.

A simple post came out July 4th, 2019 but not much info 

https://www.navionics.com/usa/features/ais

Here is a thread I have been using to try to get it to work, but no luck for me as of yet.

http://forum.openmarine.net/showthread.php?tid=1291

Thanks in advance.
Thanks I missed that notification on AIS in Navionics I will give it a shot as well. The other thread states he is using OP not as an AP but his phone seems a bit confusing.

The article did list some wifi devices FYI

https://d2wb2wm9dm62ai.cloudfront.net/wy...evices.pdf
After fiddling a bit I did get this to work. Here is what I added to my kplex settings file.

[udp]
name=out_nav_udp  <-this can be whatever you want
direction=out
optional=yes
address=10.10.10.255 <-since I use my open plotter in headless mode the range gateway was 10.10.10.1, I picked this based on something I found but it was the fix
port=2000

You don't need to use the advanced option, you can use the GUI to add the new network.

Once you have connected to the Openplotter wifi network (mine is called openplotter) I was able to see targets in navionics. Pretty cool stuff.

Hope this helps.
(2019-07-17, 04:02 PM)JYou Clark.Dennison Wrote: After fiddling a bit I did get this to work. Here is what I added to my kplex settings file.

[udp]
direction=out
optional=yes
address=10.10.10.255 <-since I use my open plotter in headless mode the range gateway was 10.10.10.1, I picked this based on something I found but it was the fix
port=2000

You don't need to use the advanced option, you can use the GUI to add the new network.

Once you have connected to the Openplotter wifi network (mine is called openplotter) I was able to see targets in navionics. Pretty cool stuff.

Hope this helps.

Thanx a lot! IT works, but unfortually have to open THE internal GPS on the tablet.

What to do to receive the gps signal from openplotter?
(2019-08-06, 03:34 PM)rudolfscholte Wrote:
(2019-07-17, 04:02 PM)JYou Clark.Dennison Wrote: After fiddling a bit I did get this to work. Here is what I added to my kplex settings file.

[udp]
direction=out
optional=yes
port=2000

Hope this helps.

Thanx a lot! IT works, but unfortually have to open THE internal GPS on the tablet.

What to do to receive the gps signal from openplotter?

I don't think Navionics will use the NMEA GPS info. The KPLEX is certainly spitting it out but I don't think Navionics has coded to look for anything but the AIS info.
(2019-08-09, 10:24 PM)Clark.Dennison Wrote: I don't think Navionics will use the NMEA GPS info. The KPLEX is certainly spitting it out but I don't think Navionics has coded to look for anything but the AIS info.

In fact I have personally been able to verify that Navionics can use external GPS data to position itself while we are using the function of creating our own live sonar chart.

I have specifically checked that at the same time that it reads the depth data, if it receives the GPS data we can also deactivate the phone's internal GPS and position itself on the chart with the external GPS data. It is true that it will show an error message asking us not to deactivate the internal GPS but we can ignore it and use the NMEA0183 data from the wifi network.

With the new AIS display function that has recently appeared there is no problem. Everything works ok. The GPS data for position, the depth data to create the sonar chart and the AIS data from the surrounding ships.

The real problem that you will find some with these instructions is that although they are correct, in openplotter 1.x.x does not always work well. Sometimes - few - it does. But most of the time it doesn't work.

Fortunately with the next version 2.x.x of openplotter works ok 100% of the time. I have been able to prove it.
Why are sailors more daring than other men?
Because: No man is so often afraid
like the sailors.

"Of the questions of the seafaring world", in
The Tree of Science, Ramon Llull
Navionics released an update (at least for iOS devices) and now you can configure your connection. Add a new connection, specify the IP of the Rpi, the port and choose to use TCP or UDP.

I did this configuration using TCP and now it works brilliantly.