This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SOLVED] I2C sensors vanished
Bug 
I2C sensors (IMU & atmospheric) suddenly disappeared from the multiplexing process :
- no values in the inspector windows ; (1W sensors were OK)
- no values in the OCPN dashboard, except in compass vue : 998° Exclamation
- sensors were correctly detected in the OP I2C tab ;
- IMU calibration appeared as usual ( i.e. only min/max. calibration, see my post about this issue)
- I used the reset buttons in the I2C tab, followed by OP restart and reselection but without any success...

After making a copy of my µSD card, I had to clone from github to correct the issue.

BUT what remains an issue is : what if this happened offshore, away from any internet connection  Huh
Cordialement
Didier B
Pi4, SSD USB3, OP 3.0 Touch SK 3.2.1 OpenCPN  5.8.4 :  Thank you  Thank you  Thank you

Do you still have the copy which failed? could you run it in openplotter debug mode?

SD card are not the most reliable media storages and sometimes a file can become corrupted or the whole system can become unstable, it is not usual but can happen. If cloning OP fixed the issue, it was some file of OP and we should know which one.

A good practice is to sail with some copy of your SD, actually you could double all your items, SD, raspberry, sensors... they are cheap Smile
The last raspbian (and the next OP image) has a tool to make an exact copy of your system. So, you can set your custom system and make a second SD (or a back-up on an USB stick) easily.

Try to run debug mode if this happens again.
If this happened offshore, away from internet connection, and you had NO backup, I would say you were a brave man..

Running a (basically free) open source navigation system that currently is in BETA as the only form of navigation is probably more crazy than brave.. Just saying.
Hi Alekoy, you are 100% right !                             (sorry, the @#$ quote function doesn't work !)

In fact the issue was probably due to a "beta" oriented operation, some kind of "rock an' roll" restart, which shouldn't happen in the offsore life (but who knows ?)
And it is not a reason to drop the issue.
An accumulation of unreliable redundancies will never be a reliable solution !

Sailoog, as I said I kept a backup of the SD card (thanks to win32DiskImager, I started creating a µSD, I will post the output of the openplotter debug mode ASAP !
Cordialement
Didier B
Pi4, SSD USB3, OP 3.0 Touch SK 3.2.1 OpenCPN  5.8.4 :  Thank you  Thank you  Thank you

After typing python /home/pi/.config/openplotter/openplotter.py there was no answer in the terminal (once OP were closed). Unless any suggestion, I will set the thred as CLOSED
Cordialement
Didier B

marked as [SOLVED]