This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Compass and IMU data unstable
So I haven't installed the system into my boat yet as I'm still configuring it on my desk at home.

I have a Navio+ hat on a RPi 3 running 0.17.1 stable. The IMU is a MPU-9250.

Everything looks fine and with the device on the desk not moving and stable I get consistent readings from the compass and IMU (heading, heel & pitch).

Watching the output, occasionally the data will suddenly jump to very different readings. For example the pitch will change to 85, the roll changes to something in the order of -60 and the heading seems to go 180 to 200 degrees out.

It usually takes a few seconds to revert to the correct values and then will remain stable for a while but often will not revert.

To get correct reading again, I can restart the sensor from the compass tab or I can invoke the calibration.

I have read the documentation regarding the ongoing calibration and I wonder if it has something to do with this? That is, the degradation isn't slow - it is a sudden jump.

Is there any data that I can log or monitor to help debug this?