This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Connecting NMEA Wind data from NASA Clipper
[attachment=281 Wrote:Smartell pid='5052' dateline='1525254924']    
(2018-05-02, 09:16 AM)PaddyB Wrote:
(2018-05-02, 12:00 AM)Smartell Wrote: Well ...i think that i have tried just about everything by now but it's not working. This can't be a configuration issue, it must be a bug.

I have tried different ways of connecting my NASA clipper via RS422, RS232 Didier-style, RS232 clean (no loopbacks etc)  and i get nice strong blinking green lights and can see the $WIMWV sentences flowing nicely when doing the Auto Setup. I can add the interface in the USB manager, i can create a new entry in the NMEA tab (serial, in, 4800, no filters, apply settings, restart etc) but when i select my new entry and click diagnostic, there is nothing and i get a timeout.

I have tried configuring entries in the NMEA tab selecting all the available ports but there is no wind data on any of the available ports, including the RS232 or RS422 defined port (from the autosetup)

I have also tried to minimize the system, all hats and other sensors disconnected to try to get rid of any interference from them.

The NASA clipper wind system is working nicely on my desktop, displaying changes in the wind direction when i move the vane (yes, i tried that when autosetup was running and the values in the sentences changed !)

So, Kplex is getting the information but open plotter seems not to be capable to handle the information

I would love to see some screenshots from a working NASA Clipper setup (if that exists)

My sailboat is in the water and the mast is going on soon after which i have to mount the Wind instruments on the boat effectively suspending further experiments ,,, :-(  

I would /greatly/ appreciate any kind of help or hints to get this done.

/Mike the Desperate

Is the checksum from the nasa OK? I have an older wind sensor from. Nasa which adds a wrong nmea checksum, took a while to find. Sorted it by having an arduino recalculate the checksum. Could you paste one of the messages?

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Hi Paddy.

Checksums...I have no information about the NASA messages beyond what i have posted earlier from the auto-setup (MWW sentences) and i see no checksum there. How can i get the logs/messages you are asking for?

My NASA Clipper Wind is brand new but i don't know if the checksums are correct. I think that they mention in Stripydog Kplex Config that you can turn off the checksum locally [checksum=no] in the "Advanced" config so i tried that but it still did not work. 

Sounds a bit ambitious to have an Arduino recalculating the checksums bu i would be interested in trying that if nothing else works, have a few lying around. Of course, it would be nice if the NASA gear was supported by Open Plotter and i really hope that the new hats/sw will support that part of the market.

Tell me if there is something that i can do to help you help me

Hi Paddy, tomorrow i'm doing the same test: connection of NasaMarine Clipper tactical system to Openplotter.
As you can see by the attached file, i'll test two connectivities schema: my preferred one is the option 1 with 2 GPS.

Attached Files Image(s)

Rmenghe...are you already getting the correct information from your Nasa clipper tactical wind system? (aside from the issue with the GPS connection?)

I would like to solve one problem at a time in this thread and getting references from a GPS may be a next step.

Any more ideas on how to proceed with connecting Nasa products to openplotter or am I beating a dead horse here?

/M
Here is the simple config I have. Though the label says auto_mpx1 I made manual change of the port.[Image: 5c452eb2acbfb9e02984816a1f5f5f2f.jpg]

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Some information about my hardware and proof of life. I don't have the Tactical version just nasamarine nmea wind. [Image: dd2655aa55eea285f51b193fa49b798c.jpg][Image: bb61581f648aab1fe1ada620791d23e1.jpg][Image: 5568e7958144abfbcefbf75f46467594.jpg][Image: 9b310193badc5b3ac6349e7aa46bd505.jpg]

Note that I am using inexpensive Prolific PL-2303 USB/serial converters. The other one communicates with a Garmin plotter at the helm.

Saqqara,  thanks for taking time to take these pictures!

I will compare my setup with yours when I get back home (vacation in Spain) even if it looks the same. My main question is how you manage to get Openplotter to accept your wind data? Have you connected the cables from the Nasa wind directly to the PL-2303 without having problems with the checksums etc or are you using an arduino converter?

Tactical or not, the wind sensor is the same so that should not create any problems.

Thanks again for your help!

/M
Your checksums look fine to me. I found an nmea checksum calculator online and checked a few. I just hook it to the USB converters, no Arduino on the boat. The only difficulty I have had is with getting the settings saved by auto config to work, and problems saving things on USB tab. Don't need USB tab, cut out middle man, use the port Linux assigns the USB adapter.

I had trouble with my nasamarine unit flooding. Their support was helpful and sent me a new circuit board and a different gasket at a reasonable price. I used silicone and sealed the thing up tight and it has been fine since. I hope they have improved their product.

Nevermind what I said about checksums.

I don't know why you get such varied results from different USB adapters.

Ftdi are supposed to be better than Prolific.

If you had consistent failures I would say take it up with nasamarine. If checksums are wrong it isn't conforming to standard and it should. Their support is said to be better than their quality.

Another thing, when my circuit board was wet I had strangeness too, until it corroded out and stopped working.

I connected the mast unit directly to hyperterminal and what i got was this:

$WIMWV,42,R
$WIMWV,42,R
$WIMWV,42,R,
$WIMWV,41,R,
$WIMWV,41,R,
$WIMWV,41,R,
$WIMWV,42,R,
$WIMWV,41,R
$WIMWV,42,R
$WIMWV,42,R
$WIMWV,42,R
$WIMWV,42,R
$WIMWV,42,R
$WIMWV,42,R
$WIMWV,42,R
$WIMWV,42,R
$WIM
$WIMWV,42,R,
$WIMWV,42,R,
$WIMWV,349,R
$WIMWV,350,R
$WIMWV,
$WIMWV,358,R,7
$WIMWV,358,R,5
$WIMWV
$WIMWV,350,R,8
$WIMWV,354,R,5
$WIMWV,354,R,6
$WIMWV,
$WIMWV,353,R,5
$WIMWV,353,R,6
$WIMWV,54,R,6
$WIMWV,346,R,3.
$WIMWV,347,R,5.
$WIMWV,354,R,1.
$WIMWV,354,R,.
$WIMWV,354,R,.
$WIMWV,354,R
$WIMWV,354,R
$WIMWV,354,R
$WIMWV,354,R

Looks like no checksum at all and only wind information when there is any wind to report - is this really NMEA? Does hyperterminal remove any checksums etc? The wind instrument reports the windspeed with one decimal but i don't see that in the messages...

/M
(2018-06-02, 11:22 AM)Smartell Wrote: I connected the mast unit directly to hyperterminal and what i got was this:

$WIMWV,42,R
$WIMWV,42,R
$WIMWV,42,R,
$WIMWV,41,R,
$WIMWV,41,R,
$WIMWV,41,R,
$WIMWV,42,R,
$WIMWV,41,R
$WIMWV,42,R
$WIMWV,42,R
$WIMWV,42,R
$WIMWV,42,R
$WIMWV,42,R
$WIMWV,42,R
$WIMWV,42,R
$WIMWV,42,R
$WIM
$WIMWV,42,R,
$WIMWV,42,R,
$WIMWV,349,R
$WIMWV,350,R
$WIMWV,
$WIMWV,358,R,7
$WIMWV,358,R,5
$WIMWV
$WIMWV,350,R,8
$WIMWV,354,R,5
$WIMWV,354,R,6
$WIMWV,
$WIMWV,353,R,5
$WIMWV,353,R,6
$WIMWV,54,R,6
$WIMWV,346,R,3.
$WIMWV,347,R,5.
$WIMWV,354,R,1.
$WIMWV,354,R,.
$WIMWV,354,R,.
$WIMWV,354,R
$WIMWV,354,R
$WIMWV,354,R
$WIMWV,354,R

Looks like no checksum at all and only wind information when there is any wind to report - is this really NMEA? Does hyperterminal remove any checksums etc? The wind instrument reports the windspeed with one decimal but i don't see that in the messages...

/M

Just had a look at mine in Putty - got this -
(checksum is wrong)

Quote:$YXXDR,C,26,C*4D
$WIMWV,07,R,00,N,A*0E
$YXXDR,C,25,C*4E
$WIMWV,07,R,00,N,A*0E
$YXXDR,C,26,C*4D
$WIMWV,07,R,00,N,A*0E
$YXXDR,C,26,C*4D
$WIMWV,07,R,00,N,A*0E
$YXXDR,C,26,C*4D
$WIMWV,07,R,00,N,A*0E
$YXXDR,C,26,C*4D
$WIMWV,07,R,00,N,A*0E
$YXXDR,C,26,C*4D
$WIMWV,08,R,00,N,A*01
$YXXDR,C,26,C*4D
$WIMWV,08,R,00,N,A*01
Thanks for the hint Paddy - Ok, so i tried Putty this time, and got a much better result:

$WIMWV,28,R,4.7,N,A*04
$WIMWV,28,R,4.7,N,A*04
$WIMWV,29,R,4.4,N,A*06
$WIMWV,30,R,4.2,N,A*08
$WIMWV,31,R,4.1,N,A*0A
$WIMWV,34,R,3.9,N,A*00
$WIMWV,35,R,3.8,N,A*00
$WIMWV,35,R,3.7,N,A*0F
$WIMWV,36,R,3.6,N,A*0D
$WIMWV,36,R,3.6,N,A*0D
$WIMWV,37,R,3.5,N,A*0F
$WIMWV,37,R,3.5,N,A*0F
$WIMWV,36,R,3.4,N,A*0F
$WIMWV,35,R,3.4,N,A*0C
$WIMWV,35,R,3.4,N,A*0C
$WIMWV,35,R,3.4,N,A*0C
$WIMWV,34,R,3.3,N,A*0A
$WIMWV,34,R,3.3,N,A*0A
$WIMWV,33,R,3.3,N,A*0D
$WIMWV,33,R,3.3,N,A*0D
$WIMWV,33,R,3.3,N,A*0D
$WIMWV,33,R,3.3,N,A*0D
$WIMWV,33,R,3.3,N,A*0D
$WIMWV,33,R,3.3,N,A*0D
$WIMWV,33,R,3.3,N,A*0D
$WIMWV,33,R,3.3,N,A*0D
$WIMWV,33,R,3.3,N,A*0D
$WIMWV,33,R,2.7,N,A*08
$WIMWV,33,R,2.3,N,A*0C
$WIMWV,33,R,1.9,N,A*05
$WIMWV,33,R,1.5,N,A*09
$WIMWV,33,R,1.3,N,A*0F
$WIMWV,33,R,1.1,N,A*0D

Here i see wind data (with decimals) and, as it looks, with the correct checksums - consistently ! (Must be something wonky with Hyperterminal or my setup)

So, if this is what the NASA Tactical wind sends when i am using a computer to diagnose the issue... why would this not be acceptable to OpenPlotter? It is also not exactly what i see in the auto-setup process - there the last checksum figure is truncated etc. (see my earlier posts)

It is also strange that the auto setup hangs when it enters the auto name creation, just stops/hangs until i remove the RS232 connector by which time it continues to create names etc.

/M
(2018-06-03, 12:10 AM)Smartell Wrote: Thanks for the hint Paddy - Ok, so i tried Putty this time, and got a much better result:

$WIMWV,28,R,4.7,N,A*04

Here i see wind data (with decimals) and, as it looks, with the correct checksums - consistently ! (Must be something wonky with Hyperterminal or my setup)

So, if this is what the NASA Tactical wind sends when i am using a computer to diagnose the issue... why would this not be acceptable to OpenPlotter? It is also not exactly what i see in the auto-setup process - there the last checksum figure is truncated etc. (see my earlier posts)

It is also strange that the auto setup hangs when it enters the auto name creation, just stops/hangs until i remove the RS232 connector by which time it continues to create names etc.

/M

Hi ,  just some more info which might help - I just sent one of your messages to Openplotter over UDP from node-red running in another machine - seems to work fine, openplotter recognizes it and converts to signalk - so whatever is happening your end it seems to be before KPLEX..  

[Image: jgMQmD8.png]
Thanks Paddy !

"Sending one of my messages through NodeRed" ... Cool, more to learn!

Problems before Kplex ... so what is there? Hardwarewise i have minimized my rig, disconnected all the additional sensors relays etc. I also use the same setup for the input from the mast sensor as i use with computer/putty.

Before Kplex would be in the addition of the mast sensor an that is where i see other problems like the autosetup hanging and the garbled messages from my mast sensor that i see during autosetup  I have tried to restart with a clean setup, re-installing raspbian and soforth, "but to no avail"

I have more raspberries i can try with but i guess that the latest one, PI 3 B+ is not yet supported so it has to be one of the older ones. (?)

Maybe there are some voltage potential/grounding issues messing with the setup?

Thanks again for your support Paddy!

(No Wind sensor mounted yet!)

[Image: 152827314862243800_resized.jpg]