This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Connecting NMEA Wind data from NASA Clipper
By same setup with PC I assume you mean same USB serial converter and other connections. That leaves suspect Linux version of the driver for said converter?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Ok, that is a good idea, would explain the behavior.

I have two different RS232/USB adapters and none of them work but they are both a few years old. Will see if i can get hold of any recent drivers

Edit: I have one Aten UC232A and one VsCom but specific linux drivers seems to be scarce for these...What adapters/drivers are you using ?

/M
Hi,

I feel that i have narrowed down the problems a bit:

Looking at cat /dev/ttyUSB0 i get:

$WIMWV,78,R,10.9,N,A*3A
$WIMWV,78,R,10.0,N,A*33
$WIMWV,78,R,9.4,N,A*0F
$WIMWV,78,R,8.9,N,A*03
$WIMWV,78,R,8.2,N,A*08
$WIMWV,78,R,7.7,N,A*02
$WIMWV,78,R,6.9,N,A*09
$WIMWV,78,R,6.6,N,A*02
$WIMWV,78,R,6.2,N,A*06
$WIMWV,78,R,5.6,N,A*01
$WIMWV,78,R,5.0,N,A*04
$WIMWV,78,R,4.6,N,A*0E
$WIMWV,78,R,4.4,N,A*02
$WIMWV,78,R,4.2,N,A*04
$WIMWV,78,R,4.0,N,A*06
$WIMWV,78,R,3.9,N,A*08

...but without linefeeds (it overwrites the same row in the terminal window). It looks like i get correct information above with the correct checksums from my NASA mast unit

If i look at  cat /dev/ttyUSB1 (which is my GPS) i get nice new lines for each NMEA message - and that is nicely handled by Kplex, shws up in "Diagnostic" etc

Looking at the auosetup in openplotter  i clearly see that it does not read the NMEA input (available as shown above in the ttyUSB0)  from my mast unit correctly - it messes up the checksum and have a problem finishing the autosetup without hanging

So, the raspberry reads the NMEA input from my mast unit correctly but OpenPlotter sees something else - and can't handle it.

What to do... definitely seems like a quite serious bug to me ...  :-(

In my desperation i have now also installed the latest Noob on a new Pi 3+ and tried it out there, but no joy - exactly the same issues. Reads nicely in ttyUSB0 but noting is received/shown/used in open plotter.

/M
(2018-06-13, 08:54 PM)Smartell Wrote: Hi,

$WIMWV,78,R,10.9,N,A*3A
$WIMWV,78,R,10.0,N,A*33
$WIMWV,78,R,9.4,N,A*0F
$WIMWV,78,R,8.9,N,A*03
$WIMWV,78,R,8.2,N,A*08
$WIMWV,78,R,7.7,N,A*02
$WIMWV,78,R,6.9,N,A*09
$WIMWV,78,R,6.6,N,A*02
$WIMWV,78,R,6.2,N,A*06
$WIMWV,78,R,5.6,N,A*01
$WIMWV,78,R,5.0,N,A*04
$WIMWV,78,R,4.6,N,A*0E
$WIMWV,78,R,4.4,N,A*02
$WIMWV,78,R,4.2,N,A*04
$WIMWV,78,R,4.0,N,A*06
$WIMWV,78,R,3.9,N,A*08

...but without linefeeds (it overwrites the same row in the terminal window). It looks like i get correct information above with the correct checksums from my NASA mast unit

If i look at  cat /dev/ttyUSB1 (which is my GPS) i get nice new lines for each NMEA message - and that is nicely handled by Kplex, shws up in "Diagnostic" etc

Looking at the auosetup in openplotter  i clearly see that it does not read the NMEA input (available as shown above in the ttyUSB0)  from my mast unit correctly - it messes up the checksum and have a problem finishing the autosetup without hanging

So, the raspberry reads the NMEA input from my mast unit correctly but OpenPlotter sees something else - and can't handle it.

In my desperation i have now also installed the latest Noob on a new Pi 3+ and tried it out there, but no joy - exactly the same issues. Reads nicely in ttyUSB0 but noting is received/shown/used in open plotter.

/M

If the Nasa isn't sending line feeds then that's probably not helping or maybe the root cause - have you used node red before? Quite easy, and the debug shows the line feeds which helps and it's quite easy to add them to check if that's what's going on. If you've never used it before someone could talk you through it - node red is great! Smile
I use the Prolific PL2303 chipset USB serial adapters - I've always heard FTDI was better, but these are the cheapest, and therefore what I use.

Instead of USB/Serial adapter maybe you can use the new button to enable the UART on Openplotter 1.0.0 and wire to the TX and RX pins (?) on the PI. This was for use by pypilot but perhaps it can be assigned to kplex. Caution - don't assume I know what I'm talking about.
(2018-06-13, 09:54 PM)PaddyB Wrote:

$WIMWV,78,R,10.9,N,A*3A
$WIMWV,78,R,10.0,N,A*33
$WIMWV,78,R,9.4,N,A*0F
$WIMWV,78,R,8.9,N,A*03
$WIMWV,78,R,8.2,N,A*08
$WIMWV,78,R,7.7,N,A*02
$WIMWV,78,R,6.9,N,A*09
$WIMWV,78,R,6.6,N,A*02
$WIMWV,78,R,6.2,N,A*06
$WIMWV,78,R,5.6,N,A*01
$WIMWV,78,R,5.0,N,A*04
$WIMWV,78,R,4.6,N,A*0E
$WIMWV,78,R,4.4,N,A*02
$WIMWV,78,R,4.2,N,A*04
$WIMWV,78,R,4.0,N,A*06
$WIMWV,78,R,3.9,N,A*08

/M

If the Nasa isn't sending line feeds then that's probably not helping or maybe the root cause - have you used node red before? Quite easy, and the debug shows the line feeds which helps and it's quite easy to add them to check if that's what's going on. If you've never used it before someone could talk you through it - node red is great! Smile

Hi Paddy,

No, i have not used Node Red for anything useful yet, just played around a bit with it, looks cool so i will try that. Question is how do i get the live input feed from ttyUSB0 into NodeRed? Anyway, that would just be for debugging (important enough) but not a solution. 

But, I am sure that the OpenPlotter project wants to include also the NASA users in the group of users, so i will trudge on. 

(Line feeds or not...why am i the only one to have this problem w serial input then? How is it possible for others to get it working? )

- I have tried three different RS232/USB adapters, 
- i have tried three different physical old and new Raspberry setups incl the latest and greatest hardware w the latest Noob (W hat support etc)
- i have verified that the mast unit sends valid NMEA messages w correct checksum both in Windows/Putty and in Raspbian/terminal.
- The mast unit is brand new

/M

(2018-06-13, 10:43 PM)Saqqara Wrote: I use the Prolific PL2303 chipset USB serial adapters - I've always heard FTDI was better, but these are the cheapest, and therefore what I use.

Instead of USB/Serial adapter maybe you can use the new button to enable the UART on Openplotter 1.0.0 and wire to the TX and RX pins (?) on the PI. This was for use by pypilot but perhaps it can be assigned to kplex. Caution - don't assume I know what I'm talking about.

Saqqara, 

What would the world come to if only prople who knew what they were talking about spoke - it would be an awfully quiet place.

I could probably solve it the UART way but i think that the voltage levels is too high, not TTL. anyway, i would like to solve this the way it is supposed to work. 

My current view is that there is not any problem with the setup i have but there is a problem in OpenPlotter so how do i get the attention of the developers?
(2018-06-14, 09:55 AM)Smartell Wrote:
(2018-06-13, 09:54 PM)PaddyB Wrote:

$WIMWV,78,R,10.9,N,A*3A
$WIMWV,78,R,10.0,N,A*33
$WIMWV,78,R,9.4,N,A*0F
$WIMWV,78,R,8.9,N,A*03
$WIMWV,78,R,8.2,N,A*08
$WIMWV,78,R,7.7,N,A*02
$WIMWV,78,R,6.9,N,A*09
$WIMWV,78,R,6.6,N,A*02
$WIMWV,78,R,6.2,N,A*06
$WIMWV,78,R,5.6,N,A*01
$WIMWV,78,R,5.0,N,A*04
$WIMWV,78,R,4.6,N,A*0E
$WIMWV,78,R,4.4,N,A*02
$WIMWV,78,R,4.2,N,A*04
$WIMWV,78,R,4.0,N,A*06
$WIMWV,78,R,3.9,N,A*08

/M

Hi Paddy,

No, i have not used Node Red for anything useful yet, just played around a bit with it, looks cool so i will try that. Question is how do i get the live input feed from ttyUSB0 into NodeRed? Anyway, that would just be for debugging (important enough) but not a solution. 

But, I am sure that the OpenPlotter project wants to include also the NASA users in the group of users, so i will trudge on. 

(Line feeds or not...why am i the only one to have this problem w serial input then? How is it possible for others to get it working? )

- I have tried three different RS232/USB adapters, 
- i have tried three different physical old and new Raspberry setups incl the latest and greatest hardware w the latest Noob (W hat support etc)
- i have verified that the mast unit sends valid NMEA messages w correct checksum both in Windows/Putty and in Raspbian/terminal.
- The mast unit is brand new

/M

(2018-06-13, 10:43 PM)Saqqara Wrote: I use the Prolific PL2303 chipset USB serial adapters - I've always heard FTDI was better, but these are the cheapest, and therefore what I use.

Saqqara, 

What would the world come to if only prople who knew what they were talking about spoke - it would be an awfully quiet place.

I could probably solve it the UART way but i think that the voltage levels is too high, not TTL. anyway, i would like to solve this the way it is supposed to work. 

My current view is that there is not any problem with the setup i have but there is a problem in OpenPlotter so how do i get the attention of the developers?
I can't figure out how to get openplotter to release the ports so I can duplicate your cat commands. Maybe I will boot a clean Raspbian SD soon. You've yet to get clean nmea output onscreen in Linux as you readily do with the GPS so it is hard to conclude it is a bug with kplex/openplotter. Kplex is probably the most mature code in all of openplotter. It was only the auto config that ever made problems for me, but that works fine for me in 1.0.0.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Yes, that's true, i don't get a really nice and clean NMEA in linux. I can try installing just Raspbian and see what i get then.

I will also order a third USB/RS232 adapter - even if unlikely, they are old and may be broken or unsupported.

One other observation: When i run the mast unit on a windows computer with putty, i have to check the "assume LF with each CR" option to get a readable log (to avoid the overwriting itself). Is there any option i can set in Linux/Kplex for this option?

/M
Ok,

Now i have compared  putty sessions in Raspbian+OpenPlotter with a clean new Raspbian only (noob)  installation. Same hardware, same USB/R232 adapter, only swapping the SD card, leaving all other things in place. In both i had to check the "assume LF with each CR" option to get a readable log  but when when that had been done:

Raspbian only: Got a nice and clean log, clean messages w correct checksums in a nice stream, reacting correctly to different winds and directions

$WIMWV,296,R,0,N,A*2E
$WIMWV,315,R,.6,N,A*0C
$WIMWV,327,R,1.1,N,A*3B
$WIMWV,334,R,1.6,N,A*3E
$WIMWV,337,R,2.0,N,A*38
$WIMWV,338,R,2.3,N,A*34
$WIMWV,339,R,2.5,N,A*33
$WIMWV,342,R,2.8,N,A*32
$WIMWV,350,R,2.9,N,A*30
$WIMWV,0,R,3.1,N,A*3F
$WIMWV,20,R,3.2,N,A*0E

Raspbian + OpenPlotter: Got a log but with lots of messed up NMEA among shorts stretches of ok messages:

$IMWV,359,R,0,N,A*2C
$WIMWV,0,R,0,N,A*23
$WIMWV,359R,0,N,A*2C$WIMWV,359R,0,N,A*2C$WWV,359R,0,N,A*2C$WIMWV,359R,0,N,A*2C
$WIMWV,359,R,0,N,A*2C
$WIMWV,359,R,0,N,A*2C$WIMWV,359,,0,N,A*2C
$WIMWV,359,R,0,N,A*2C$WIMWV,359R,0,N,A*2C$WIMWV,359R0,N,A*2C$WIMWV,359R,0,N,A*2C$WIMWV,359R,0,N,A*2C
WIMWV,359,R,0,N,A*2C
$WIMWV,358,R,0,N,A*2D
$WV,358,R,0,N,A*2D 
$WMWV,358,R,0,N,A*2D
WV,358,R,0N,A*2D
$WIMWV,357R,0,N,A*22$WIMWV,357R,0,N,A*22$WIMWV,357R,0,N,A*22$WIMWV,357R,0,N,A*22
$WIMWV,357R,0,N,A*22
$WA0
$WIMWV,357R,1.6,N,A*B

Repeatable test, minimum changes, different behavior

/M
(2018-06-17, 06:01 PM)Smartell Wrote: Ok,

Now i have compared  putty sessions in Raspbian+OpenPlotter with a clean new Raspbian only (noob)  installation. Same hardware, same USB/R232 adapter, only swapping the SD card, leaving all other things in place. 

In the openplotter setup could something else be connecting to the serial input as well as putty? You could try  typing "startup stop" in a terminal to stop openplotter running then try putty again.