This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Connecting NMEA Wind data from NASA Clipper
(2018-04-17, 12:39 AM)Smartell Wrote: Thanks Saqqara and Jim !

Of course i am not giving up !

I am actually making some kind of progress too.
I have tried again connecting using a different RS232/USB and that seems to work better than the RS422 /USB adapter. The input is cleaner without any misread sentences. There are two problems i see at the moment:
- The autosetup still hangs until i briefly disconnect RS232 ... it is like it becomes hypnotized and freezes. After the disconnect it continues creating a selectable mapping ttyOP_UNDEF 4800 baud, direction in etc. If i now create an entry in the NMEA0183 tab (name it, select Port ttyOP_UNDEF, 4800 baud, IN, OK, Apply changes etc) i see no input in the diagnostic window for the newly created entry.

- If i use an RS232 with the mapping and loopbacks Didier propose in his article, my Instument freezes. With just Tx & Rx connected, no loopbacks it works fine.

This is like playing adventure game like MYST, strange and intriguing Puzzles every day! ....but sorta' fun.

/M
Hi Smartell,
All my sympathy, as I spent a few months on the matter !
How loopback can freeze the device itself as it is only connected to RX and GND ...
BTW, in the loopback, some do  mention pin 1 (to be looped with 4 & 6), and some don't (only 4 & 6, 1 not mentioned). Maybe you could test looping 4 - 6 (not 1 ), and 7 - 8 ...
I didn't had to strugle much with autosetup. Just connect your RS232 adapter to the cold RPi (not to the NASA instrument), bootup, and then it should appear in OP's USB tab when you hit the Add button. If you already have a  port with similar hardware you will have to identify by "port" and not by "device" .
take courage Smile  ...
Cordialement
Didier B
Pi4, SSD USB3, OP 3.0 Touch SK 3.2.1 OpenCPN  5.8.4 :  Thank you  Thank you  Thank you

Messages In This Thread
RE: Connecting NMEA Wind data from NASA Clipper - by Didier B - 2018-04-17, 05:57 AM