This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
openplotter and /dev/serial0 devices
How do I get openplotter to see NMEA data on /dev/serial0.  I have a dAISy hat that I'm using and on RPI3 its seen as /dev/serial0  (on my older rpi2 its seen as /dev/ttyAMA0 which openplotter sees with no issue).  I've tried manually configuring that device as /dev/serial0  but even though I know that data is flowing on that "port"  openplotter does not see it. (I can see the data when I use "screen")

Also whats with the bug that won't let you name new serial devices?  I have to create them as "bob"  pretty much the only name it will take,  then go an manually name is as "dAISy_HAT"
So when you cat /dev/serial0 you see the data coming from the device? I was just wondering if you had gone thought he process of disconnecting the bluetooth from the serial port.
(2018-04-24, 04:10 PM)abarrow Wrote: So when you cat /dev/serial0 you see the data coming from the device? I was just wondering if you had gone thought he process of disconnecting the bluetooth from the serial port.

I'll check but when I do screen /dev/serial0 38400 I can access the dAISy configuration interface and turn on the test messages.  That should indicate serial connectivity.  Openplotter just doesn't seem to be able to see devices on /dev/serial0 at the moment
It will on openplotter 1.x.x
Thanks. Seems I keep being "ahead of the curve" somehow! Now for the $1m question...when is Openplotter 1.x.x coming with that support?

thanks
I got it to work eventually. I had to manually edit the config file and now its working. One thing I noticed when using the "diagnostics window" to watch whats being passed is the messages at the bottom of the window state that data is being passed at 98baud. Seems really slow doesn't it?
I guess it depends on how that baud rate is being calculated. Since the device isn't sending out a continuous stream of data, the calculation might be based on the rate of characters over time, which would lead to a much lower rate.

[edit] Just looked at the code. Displayed baud rate appears to be calculated by measuring the length of the incoming NMEA strings over time. If the strings are just coming in every second, for example, the measured baud rate would display as much lower than the interface rate.
(2018-04-30, 03:33 PM)abarrow Wrote: I guess it depends on how that baud rate is being calculated. Since the device isn't sending out a continuous stream of data, the calculation might be based on the rate of characters over time, which would lead to a much lower rate.

[edit] Just looked at the code. Displayed baud rate appears to be calculated by measuring the length of the incoming NMEA strings over time. If the strings are just coming in every second, for example, the measured baud rate would display as much lower than the interface rate.

OK, that makes sense as the AIS device is currently in "Test" mode so sends out 1 message every 5 seconds.
Just a tip for other dAISy Hat users ..... This does not have to be used as a HAT and will run stand alone in a separate enclosure. You can hook it up one of two ways, run you power and RX and TX wires to the Pi and attach accordingly or you can do like I did with a Raspi 3. In order to use a dAISy Hat with a Raspi 3 you have to disable the Bluetooth which I decided I didn't really want to do and also I have one of the screw terminal HATs already on top so what I did is use one of these and just plugged it into a USB port. Mine also has a NEO-8M GPS module wired to the extra serial port on the dAISy Hat and together it draws less than 100 mA. The other advantage to doing this is it can also be used with a Windows tablet, laptop or even most Android devices with the proper USB adapter.

In fact I'll be designing the enclosure for the AIS/GPS later today and after I get it (3D) printed and everything mounted and wired I'll upload some pictures in a week or so. My system is a bit different from most users here, for one I'm an inland fisherman and my system is used for fishing as well as making my own custom 3D depth maps. This started out as a way to add a heading sensor to an already existing system so I could make better sidescan overlays for my maps with a Arduino based NMEA multiplexer/logger but when I came across this project it saved a lot of time not having to translate and program my own NMEA heading sentences plus I can also run a simple weather station (temp, humidity, baro pressure), as well as multiplex the NMEA input and output from my Lowrance Elite 7 Ti and stream everything to my Windows tablet. It also allows me to expand the system further, for instance One Wire temperature sensors for my outboard and my livewell