This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
New to Openplotter - a few beginner issues
What RPI do you have?
I have a pi3 and have switched to "AP/client + bridge".
After that, I was able to connect to my home network.
After the connection was successful, I was able to reset to "AP/client" and still connected to the network.
Jürgen
Angel  Entschuldigung für mein Englisch. Es ist "deepl.com english"
PN bitte auf german.  Big Grin
(2018-06-01, 11:26 AM)Luckbert Wrote: What RPI do you have?
I have a pi3 and have switched to "AP/client + bridge".
After that, I was able to connect to my home network.
After the connection was successful, I was able to reset to "AP/client" and still connected to the network.
Jürgen

I have the 3b+ 
It has both 2.5ghz and 5ghz wifi radios.
Try the following setting:
RPI3+: AP + client + bridge
(2018-06-01, 11:35 AM)Luckbert Wrote: Try the following setting:

Hmm I don't how that would free up the wlan0 interface as it would be used for the openplotter access point. 

Even worse, after doing that I can no-longer VNC or SSH into the Pi, which means I'm going to now have to a fresh headless install.
Sorry,
is the "openplotter" network available?
Can you connect with it?
(2018-06-01, 11:56 AM)mikedeflieslife Wrote:
(2018-06-01, 11:35 AM)Luckbert Wrote: Try the following setting:

Hmm I don't how that would free up the wlan0 interface as it would be used for the openplotter access point. 

Even worse, after doing that I can no-longer VNC or SSH into the Pi, which means I'm going to now have to a fresh headless install.

wlan1 (or uap0) act as AP!!!
Sharing internet  device: This is the device which has connection to the internet.
If you connect wlan0 to the internet then you can set wlan0 as sharing internet device.
If you connect usb0 (tethering usb on the smartphone) you can set usb0 as sharing internet device.
If you connect eth0 to an internet router (not bridge mode) you choose eth0 as sharing internet device.

Why should I do that when the raspberry is able to surf in the internet already?
Because all devices which are connected to the openplotter AP can get openplotter data and internet without hopping from openplotter wlan to internet wlan.

You shouldn't set sharing device to wlan1 or uap0 or eth0 (bridge mode).
Sharing internet  device only enables to forward internet. It doesn't block any free device !!! ("I don't how that would free up the wlan0")
https://docs.sailoog.com/openplotter-v1-x-x/network
(2018-06-01, 08:11 PM)Sailoog Wrote: https://docs.sailoog.com/openplotter-v1-x-x/network

That's fast getting some new docs up, but that's not really got anything to do with my issue. 

My issue is first wifi doesn't work out of the box in Openplotter, but works just fine out of the box in Raspian Stretch Lite. 

In Openplotter the following issues are present. 

1) After setting the country code either manually, by gui, or by the old config, the wifi manager still claims the code has not been set. This can be sorted by eventually by running 'sudo rfkill unblock all' and restarting the interface, but even then it is still unavailable for use. 

2) Setting Openplotter to 'client' in the network tab does not appear immediately disable the AP. 

3) Neither wlan0 or Wlan1 are available for use to connect to my home network.
Here is brand new installation. 

First thing I did was change the resolution,  then set the locale. Next thing was go to Openplotter settings and set the network mode as client then reboot. 

As you can see Openplotter is still broadcasting. This is after a reboot. 

As you will also see despite setting the locale (and I have done this in the gui raspberry pi configuration, the old raspi-config, and by editing the wpa_supplicant.conf), there is still a problem with no locale being set. 

As a temporary fix I run "sudo iw reg set GB" which removes the locale problem until the next reboot, but there is no wlan0 interface found.

Attached Files Image(s)

I 'm not able to reproduce your error.
What's the output when you click on status?
What's the output for "pi@openplotter:~ $ ls .openplotter/Network"?
What's the output for "pi@openplotter:~ $ cat .openplotter/start-ap-managed-wifi.sh"?