This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SOLVED] WiFi not working.
Same problem came again !
Impossible to set wifi country  (RPI 3+ AP + client).

I had to change OP/network tab to "client" (only), then set, apply & reboot ; I could then change the Wifi country to FR in preferences/RPi configuration / localization, then came back to  OP network tab, select (RPI 3+ AP + client), set, apply, reboot, and checked wifi country stayed to FR !

I other words,  it seems impossible to set the wifi country code when in an AP mode ...
Cordialement
Didier B
Pi4, SSD USB3, OP 3.0 Touch SK 3.2.1 OpenCPN  5.8.4 :  Thank you  Thank you  Thank you

Just thought I'd post what worked for me.

I have a Ralink wifi USB dongle connected to a RPi3B. I wanted to connect to "Marina Wifi" with the USB dongle and host the access point with the RPi onboard wifi module.

In openplotter>network, I selected Rpi3: AP + Client + bridge and sharing internet device set to wlan0. 

I couldn't get the USB dongle to the Marina wifi using the Desktop UI, so I updated the wpa_supplicant.conf file, and basically followed the steps here for my wifi dongle.
https://www.modmypi.com/blog/how-to-set-...on-raspian
For me it works on my Pi 3 using the NOOBS .zip, any hardware changes, other SD card or other power source?
For others with wifi issues, a bug has been recorded: https://github.com/sailoog/openplotter/pull/213
Las 100 mejores frases  célebres y reflexiones de la vida.
SOLVED ? Really ? On my PI3B, after forcing a fresh update to 1.2.0, I had to manually edit /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant to set the country WIFI to FR...
Cordialement
Didier B
Pi4, SSD USB3, OP 3.0 Touch SK 3.2.1 OpenCPN  5.8.4 :  Thank you  Thank you  Thank you

(2018-09-07, 10:07 AM)Same experience here. After fresh install it was impossible to set WIFI language to .... - "Could not communicate with wpa_supplicant Wrote: No wlan0 Wireless adapter was visible and /etc/wpa_supplicant was unchanged (remained set to default country=GB)
  • updated all packages from within Raspbian and from OP (about 200 MB) 
  • changed network setting in OP to 'client' 
  • edited /etc/wpa_supplicant to look like this
Code:
ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1
country=DE

network={
    ssid="xxxxxxxxxx"
    psk="yyyyyyyyyy"
    key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
}

only after completing all above mentioned steps (and reboot) wlan0 came alive and connected flawlessly

cheers,
G.

I am having the same problem with the network not accepting the WiFi Country setting and not showing any of the available networks.  

Looking at G's code, I went into /etc/wpa_supplicant directory where I found a file called wpa_supplicant.conf. This file was edited with sudo nano where I entered G's code.  The second portion of the code where network= isn't explicitly stated, but I assumed that this would set the SSID and password for my pi on the WiFi (and is NOT the wifi that I want to connect to)  Please correct me if I am wrong here.  

I saved the modified text to wpa_supplicant.conf and then rebooted.  After the reboot, I still have the red X's where the network configuration is located in the upper right corner of the desktop.  It is STILL reporting that the WiFi country is not set.  When I click to set the Wi-Fi country, the default now comes up as the US (it used to be GB), so editing the supplicant file did something but it didn't fix the problem for me.

I do want to be able to run the Pi with OpenPlotter and as an Access Point so I can go headless, but I still want to be able to update the files, charts, grib etc, so I still need to be able to get on the network.  

Any ideas?
I wish I had your luck. I edited wpa_supplicant.host as recommended. On reboot, it is still asking me to set the wifi country. The only difference now is that the default is US instead of GB, but I still can't see any available SSID's and the request to set the wifi country doesn't go away.
same here - no luck (op2.0, rpi3B+). Edited the wpa_supplicant but get always "no wireless interface found"
Have also reinstalled op-networks but does no start.

Is there a "reset network" to expected standard somehow possible rather than the clumsy start from scratch?
I've easily spent over 60 hours chipping away at this problem, and still no solution in sight. I started to think that maybe I have a bad download so I've redownloaded images, noobs etc and reinstalled each several times. The result is the same each time. A few things that I've learned though are:

1. The set your wifi country is due to the wifi radios now having 5 GHz capabilities which aren't acceptable in every country.
2. The keyboard defaults to a Great Britain keyboard, so when you get in the Linux "weeds", things like | needed in commands aren't where they should be. Be sure to set your keyboard when you set the wifi country.
3. Resetting wifi country in the old Raspi Config results in an error which says that the wpa_supplicant file can't be accessed by the OS. .. this explains the lack of cooperation after setting it or editing the wpa_supplicant.config file.... the operating system can't read the file so it makes no difference.
4. There are other files in this OS that can't be configured, set or used. A review of the permissions (that is a headache for another day) reveals that it isn't a permissions issue preventing it from being read, but if you want to fully open the barn door with unrestricted (permissions) access, it will not let you.
5. Updating and upgrading only makes everything worse.
6. Even when the OS reports "no wireless interface found", you can see the interfaces from the terminal window.

My conclusion is that there are some very serious core operating system issues at play here. I am very disappointed.
Users either report that theirs runs flawlessly or that it doesn't run the wifi at all. I don't believe that there is a solution out there.
It would be nice to have a fully configured image for the "US" available for download, where this setup procedure is not required. It makes no sense to have hundreds of potential users all banging their heads against the same configuration issues.
(2019-10-02, 06:22 AM)StoneCrab Wrote: I've easily spent over 60 hours chipping away at this problem, and still no solution in sight.  I started to think that maybe I have a bad download so I've redownloaded images, noobs etc and reinstalled each several times.  The result is the same each time.  A few things that I've learned though are:

1.  The set your wifi country is due to the wifi radios now having 5 GHz capabilities which aren't acceptable in every country.
2.  The keyboard defaults to a Great Britain keyboard, so when you get in the Linux "weeds", things like | needed in commands aren't where they should be.  Be sure to set your keyboard when you set the wifi country.
3.  Resetting wifi country in the old Raspi Config results in an error which says that the wpa_supplicant file can't be accessed by the OS.  .. this explains the lack of cooperation after setting it or editing the wpa_supplicant.config file.... the operating system can't read the file so it makes no difference.
4.  There are other files in this OS that can't be configured, set or used.  A review of the permissions (that is a headache for another day) reveals that it isn't a permissions issue preventing it from being read, but if you want to fully open the barn door with unrestricted (permissions) access, it will not let you.
5.  Updating and upgrading only makes everything worse.  
6.  Even when the OS reports "no wireless interface found", you can see the interfaces from the terminal window.

My conclusion is that there are some very serious core operating system issues at play here.  I am very disappointed.
Users either report that theirs runs flawlessly or that it doesn't run the wifi at all.  I don't believe that there is a solution out there.
It would be nice to have a fully configured image for the "US" available for download, where this setup procedure is not required. It makes no sense to have hundreds of potential users all banging their heads against the same configuration issues.

to 3.)
In OP 1.2 the dhcpcd-hooks is removed in AP mode. So setting the wifi country code isn't possible (only in client mode). But wpa_supplicant.conf will still be read by the system.
In openplotter-network (2.0.5) we did some changes to dhcpcd-hooks that it doesn't interfere with the AP anymore. Now it is possible to set wifi country while having a working AP. (AP is now wlan9!)

to 4.)
As long as dhcpcd-hooks is removed it wouldn't work. No permission could change that.

to 5.)
We try to get as close as possible to the standard debian.
Sometimes updates have bad influence to network sometimes they solve things.

to 6.)
To get a system which can connect as a client to an AP ( marina hotspot) and act as an AP (boat hotspot) the AP device is blocked against client use. If you only have one interface the message would be correct.
If you have more interfaces (You don't say anything about your usb wifi.) then you should look if an interface is blocked by the terminal comand "rfkill list".

A workaround for you could be to use the intenal wifi as AP.
Connect your android to the marina hotspot.
Connect the rpi with usb cable to your android.
Activate usb tethering on android.

Now you can surf in the internet with your rpi

Advantage:
You choose your wifi hotspot on the Android as usual.
You can save energy.
You don't need a usb wifi.

Disadvantage:
Everytime you restart or reconnect the usb you have to activate tethering again.

btw:
2.0.5 has issues sharing the wlan internet because the client wifi is sometimes wlan0 and sometimes wlan1. (The sharing can be changed without a reboot)
Another general issue is the gateway. If you have more connection to the internet, Linux will only talk to the one with the lowest metric (terminal comand "route").
And sometimes "route" doesn't respond to changes.