This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
moitessier hat - AIS reception varies by power source
(2019-04-24, 09:06 AM)Stuart Wrote:
(2018-08-05, 09:07 PM)Rooco Wrote: Hi!

PaddyB has already mentioned a possible reason for your issue.
Most likely the performance degradation is caused by noise on the power supply, this might be either due to a noisy input source or the serial combination of the external switching regulator and the onboard switching regulator of the Pi, used to convert 5V to 3.3V. If using two switching regulators in series, they might oscillate and regulation is not reliable anymore. If the power source is unstable, sensitivity gets really worse.
Keep in mind to use low noise power supplies. The best solution would be a linear voltage regulator, no switching converter. However, in general, most converters are switching regulators due to its higher efficiency.  It is absolutely crucial to use only high-quality converters!!
I will add a list of recommended regulators soon. If there are suggestions from the community, I will test any suggested converter in the lab to have reproducible results.

Regardless of this post, I have already done tests in the past, comparing the reception performance using two different step-down converters. The difference is quite amazing!!! I will publish a video of the comparison in the next few days.

Regards,
Thomas

Help for an electronics newbie, please....

Does a "high noise power supply" interfere with the voltage to the Pi, or does it interfere with the radio signal?  If I use a remote aerial, for AIS, would that be OK?  Would the "high noise" supply also interfere with GPS?

As a newbie, I would much prefer to buy a module that just gives the right voltage (possibly mounting it away from the Pi).  I was thinking of something like this:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Power-Supply-...Sw3xJVbaVq
or
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Raspberry-Pi-...Sw5cNYcSC7

How can I tell if a power supply module is appropriate?

Any advice/pointers/products would be appreciated.

Also, if my 12V supply has a 3A fuse, do I also need a fuse between the power supply and the soldered connection to the underside of the GPIO pins on the Pi?

Thanks

Hello, everybody, 
I use the converter of the second left. 
I also want to get the best out of my system. 
Which is the better converter? 

@Rooco maybe you can give buy recommendations.  Just going by price is very difficult.  Some components vary a lot depending on the online shop. 

Greetings Jürgen

Is that an Option?

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bSQwTrPK
Angel  Entschuldigung für mein Englisch. Es ist "deepl.com english"
PN bitte auf german.  Big Grin

Messages In This Thread
RE: moitessier hat - AIS reception varies by power source - by Luckbert - 2019-04-25, 08:34 PM