This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
... send Signal K keys in a ST2000 network?
If nothing happens when you click on the TX PGN Enable button  start openplotter from terminal ("lx terminal" or shortkey alt ctrl t) and enter openplotter.
There should be an error message when you click on the button.
This is what I get from terminal output when I click on TX PGN Enable list:

Code:
pi@TakuMoe_Open_Pi:~ $ openplotter
Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "/home/pi/.config/openplotter/CAN-USB-stick.py", line 389, in <module>
   MyFrame().Show()
 File "/home/pi/.config/openplotter/CAN-USB-stick.py", line 108, in __init__
   self.check(0)
 File "/home/pi/.config/openplotter/CAN-USB-stick.py", line 126, in check
   self.getCharfromSerial()
 File "/home/pi/.config/openplotter/CAN-USB-stick.py", line 278, in getCharfromSerial
   self.parse(ord(i))
 File "/home/pi/.config/openplotter/CAN-USB-stick.py", line 302, in parse
   self.Buffer[self.p] = b
IndexError: bytearray index out of range

Success :-)

Somehow I managed to open the TX PGN Enable list by deactivating "Managed by Signal K" and then quickly press the PGN button, which then opened the list.
It had 127506 and 508 already enabled when I first setup the device quite some time ago. But then I read somewhere that baud rate should be set to 115200 instead of 230400 (which I have set it to). And that did the trick. DC Status and Voltages of my batteries now show up on the MFD.

Thanks very much for your help, e-sailing! Maybe you can explain a bit about the baud rate?
In the past Signal K wasn't able to work at baud rate higher than 115200. It is now. Openplotter will support higher settings in v2.x.x. But you can set the baud rate manually in Signal K admin if you want.
The communication protocoll on the serial side takes more bytes than on the can bus side. If you don't want to lose any sentence on highest can bus (250000) load. You have to use a baud rate higher than 460800.
Under normal condition 115200 will do. 230400 is better. The latest canusb can work at 921600 that's best. They can also switch to slcan mode. Then they can work as linux can0 network (but that's not so secure as working with actisense protocol) (Slcan is also compatible with canboat/Signal K (typical used by canable)).
Understood. Thanks for clarification.
But for now 115200 baud is what's working and so far there is only those two PGN's I want to transmit. As soon as I set it to 230400 in the SK admin panel, those PGN's don't make it into the MFD.
I am not getting data from Signal K to my Raymarine c - Series Plotter for some reason.

I am using the Can usb adapter I bought from the Open Marine shop a few years ago & I am receiving N2K data from the Raymarine Plotter no worries.

However, I cannot configure the Raymarine Plotter to show any data from SK - I have tried different NMEA 2000 Sources from the dropdown list in the Data Connections - I get data IN with any from the dropdown list but none out.

What source should I be using and what do I put in the "Interface" box?

I have configured the Signal K to NMEA 2000 plugin & I can see the data in the log window

When I click on the "Open device TX PGNs" in the CAN Bus app all it does is restart the server & un-able the NMEA2000 connection!!

Do I need to install the Canboat SignalK application - npm install @canboat/canboatjs

I did manage to open the PGNs I wanted once but nothing happened - the baudrate was wrong or something & when I changed the baudrate & went back to open the PGNs again I ended up with the same problem of just un-abling the NMEA2000 connection.

Any ideas please
The CanUsb and actisense ngt1 only send PGNs you have set with the button "Open device TX PGNs. This is the first step.
If you see the list of "open PGNs:" the baudrate should be ok. Otherwise the list would be empty.
Or if you receive PGNs the baudrate is ok. ( 115200 is the standard baudrate )

In SignalK "NMEA 2000 source:" you should select "Actisense NGT-1 (canboatjs)". (I don't know if a restart is required or not)
Now the Signal K to NMEA 2000 plugin should send data into your NMEA2000 network.
(2022-01-30, 09:06 PM)e-sailing Wrote: The CanUsb and actisense ngt1 only send PGNs you have set with the button "Open device TX PGNs. This is the first step.
If you see the list of "open PGNs:" the baudrate should be ok. Otherwise the list would be empty.
Or if you receive PGNs the baudrate is ok.  ( 115200 is the standard baudrate )

In SignalK "NMEA 2000 source:" you should select "Actisense NGT-1 (canboatjs)". (I don't know if a restart is required or not)
Now the Signal K to NMEA 2000 plugin should send data into your NMEA2000 network.

Thanks for the reply - I'll have another "play" when I get back to the boat. 

I've had it on "Actisense NGT-1 (canboatjs)" @ 115200 but I may have changed to a higher one when I selected the PGNs.

Can't be that hard!!
OK, I'm going to admit defeat with this!!

In SignalK "NMEA 2000 source:" I am using "Actisense NGT-1 (canboatjs)"

Using 115200 the "Open device TX PGNs" reboots the server with NMEA 2000 disabled but does not open so I cannot set PGNs. I have to enable NMEA 2000 manually to receive can data.
Using 230400 (or higher) the "Open device TX PGNs" reboots the server with NMEA 2000 disabled then opens & I set which PGNs I want but nothing will save after I get the "open PGNs" screen & hit OK. I have to enable NMEA 2000 manually to receive can data.
Using 38400 the "Open device TX PGNs" reboots the server with NMEA 2000 disabled, opens & I set which PGNs I want & are saved after I get the "open PGNs" screen & hit OK - the server reboots with the NMEA 2000 enabled - All good!! BUT I am not receiving NMEA 2000 data & still nothing on my Raymarine plotter!!

Any ideas?????????????????