This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
wind display +- 180 degrees
When in wind modes display as +-180 degrees.

It's much more intuitive as 0 and 180 are special.
One can easily make math errors when busy or tired.

I would just change display not what goes on internally
just make two functions to convert..
No need to change what is going over network.
The only down side I can see is it will take one more space to display the sign.
May not be that much of a deal as fractions of degrees for wind are meaning less.
I think you are right, and the wind angle should be displayed this way. I will add this to my list... The sign is only a problem on the lcd display which only has space for 3 digits of that font size. So the sign is a problem from -100 to -180 degrees.

Maybe instead of + and -, and small P and S can be displayed somewhere near the 1?
I just thought of the same, so showing true/apparent wind angle to boat. I would also love this feature.
The B&G way to show the direction is not a + or -, but to show an indicator of which side the wind is coming in. Especially when beating around 180, it’s important to be able to read it fast. Proposed solution: “-175” or “175-“, even if the font size has to go down.
I believe the - is counterintuitive...

What about |175 and 175| ?

The vertical line can probably fit without decreasing font much.

Any suggestions for the opencpn plugin and web interface where screen space is less of an issue?
(2020-09-06, 11:12 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: I believe the - is counterintuitive...

What about |175 and 175|  ?

Any suggestions for the opencpn plugin and web interface where screen space is less of an issue?

Would be great for me
(2020-09-06, 11:12 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: I believe the - is counterintuitive...

What about |175 and 175|  ?

Should work. Realistically There are limits on what you can do for wind on a simple digital display. Often the windex gyrates over an annoyingly wide angle.

When you have more room and a color display maybe something like this:
http://demo.signalk.org/@signalk/sailgauge/
Seen some other displays like that.
Could display, course, heading, wind and a lot of other info. Limited by  distinctive colors and when it's just too darn cluttered.
Not really sure if something like that should be part of web or opencpn plugin.
Maybe a separate window for opencpn??

Sort of off subject but as the boat rolls it affects the wind readying. Mainly a down wind issue. With roll and hast height could remove that for true wind reading. Then again the sails need to deal with apparent wind. May not be useful.
could display something like that on a monochrome display, but the numbers will be smaller, maybe hard to read especially with a small screen.   The wind is filtered quite a bit and refresh rate limited to 2-3 times a second so you can read the wind angle.

I have implemented now in git, it underlines on one side or the other, so:

vs

to distinguish which tack.

Could also use a color display but then it won't be daylight visible.