This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moitessier HAT firmware update failed after update to OpenPlotter 1.2
check if communication works i think gps is on tty
cat /dev/moitessier.tty

check this too just in case i was wrong ..
cat /dev/moitessier.spi

does this show any errors?
dmesg | grep moitessier

i dont know whats up with the attachments and picture posting on the site Sad
(2019-03-14, 09:13 PM)jim321 Wrote: check if communication works i think gps is on tty
cat /dev/moitessier.tty

check this too just in case i was wrong ..
cat /dev/moitessier.spi

does this show any errors?
dmesg | grep moitessier

i dont know whats up with the attachments and picture posting on the site Sad

Yeah, i was surprised when I looked at the post and could not see the attachments.  I'd tried again buy got an error message. They are all JPEG files so I don't know why they cannot be loaded.
  • TTY: I get a message "Device or resource busy"
  • SPI: I get a ton of messages starting with $GPGGA, $GNGSA, $GPGSV, $GNGLL, ...
  • DMESG: No errors
regards
Trevor
ok those on spi are gps
did you do the setup, start in tools "Moitessier HAT" on openplotter ?
that's about all i can help you with, i dont have a hat so have never set one up, to be honest today is the first time i have even looked at the tools & setup.Smile
(2019-03-14, 10:21 PM)jim321 Wrote: ok those on spi are gps
did you do the setup, start in tools "Moitessier HAT"  on openplotter ?
that's about all i can help you with, i dont have a hat so have never set one up, to be honest today is the first time i have even looked at the tools & setup.Smile

Thx for the help Jim, much appreciated. Yes, I went through all the config pages for the Moitessier HAT in the V1.x.x OpenPlotter docs. 

I think it is more of an issue at the Raspbian level, but I am far from an expert. I'm using an RPi 3b+ and there is a whole host of info on the internet about getting GPSD to work correctly with GPS USB pucks. And when I look at my /etc/default/gpsd it looks like the daemon isn't even started.
  • START_DAEMON="false"
  • USBAUTO="false"
  • DEVICES=""
  • GPSD_OPTIONS="-n -b"
But the Moitessier HAT isn't a USB puck, so I'm not sure how to set this correctly. When I try to start GPSD manually I get an error because I'm not specifying the device, but I do not know what device name to use. I can't run lsusb to find the device name because the HAT doesn't use a USB puck.

When I run 
  • cat /dev/moitessier.tty
  • cat /dev/moitessier.spi
I get output for both, but the GSA and GLL messages do not contain any lat/lon info.

There are no instructions on either the OP or Moitessier web sites on how to set this up. Frustrating!!

Any thoughts?
regards
Trevor
"I get output for both, but the GSA and GLL messages do not contain any lat/lon info."
antenna ? clear view of the sky?
have you checked the serial tab to see if it needs config there.? pushed the start tab in tools ?
like i said i am not familiar with the setup..
Download PDF
https://www.rooco.eu/wp-content/uploads/...e_v0.2.pdf
(2019-03-15, 10:10 AM)jim321 Wrote: "I get output for both, but the GSA and GLL messages do not contain any lat/lon info."
antenna ? clear view of the sky?
have you checked the serial tab to see if it needs config there.? pushed the start tab in tools ?
like i said i am not familiar with the setup..
Download PDF
https://www.rooco.eu/wp-content/uploads/...e_v0.2.pdf

Hi Jim

Yes, been through the doc several times.

I've asked the rooco guys too.

Regards
Trevor
regards
Trevor
well i just read it and seems pretty straightforward to me it's just like you have to do when using everything separate gps imu i2c
set up the serial tab..
setup pypilot tab
setup i2c tab
chapter 8.2 thru 8.7 in user manual..
Yes, I've done all that, and the pressure, heel, yaw, temperature, ... are all working. It is just the GPS/GNSS that is not.

I looked at the "cat /dev/moitessier.tty" output some more and there are clearly several satellites in view.
$GPGSV,3,1,11,07,81,272,,08,71,064,,30,46,306,30,11,40,165,,0*63
$GPGSA,A,1,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,1*03
$GPGLL,,,,,204350.000,V,N*7A

When I run "cat /dev/moitessier.spi" I see the following:
$GPGSV,3,1,11,07,82,240,,08,67,058,,30,51,304,29,11,45,163,,0*66
$GNGSA,A,2,78,,,,,,,,,,,,44.39,44,38,1.0,2*0C
$GNGLL,4323.3890,N,07942.6931,W,205432.000,A<A*56

So clearly there are some reading coming from what I presume to be the GNSS, but there doesn't seem to be anything from the GPS.
regards
Trevor
it needs to be setup to be one or the other gpsd or gps not both..with a clear view of the sky.

gpsd is a daemon that receives data from a GPS receiver, and provides the data back to multiple applications such as Kismet or GPS navigation software. It thus provides a unified interface to receivers of different types, and allows concurrent access by multiple applications.

GNSS

GNSS stands for Global Navigation Satellite System, and is the standard generic term for satellite navigation systems that provide autonomous geo-spatial positioning with global coverage. This term includes e.g. the GPS, GLONASS, Galileo, Beidou and other regional systems. GNSS is a term used worldwide The advantage to having access to multiple satellites is accuracy, redundancy and availability at all times. Though satellite systems don't often fail, if one fails GNSS receivers can pick up signals from other systems. Also if line of sight is obstructed, having access to multiple satellites is also a benefit. Common GNSS Systems are GPS, GLONASS, Galileo, Beidou and other regional systems.

GPS

The United States' Global Positioning System (GPS) consists of up to 32 medium Earth orbit satellites in six different orbital planes, with the exact number of satellites varying as older satellites are retired and replaced. Operational since 1978 and globally available since 1994, GPS is currently the world's most utilized satellite navigation system.
(2019-03-16, 09:40 AM)jim321 Wrote: it needs to be setup to be one or the other gpsd or gps not both..with a clear view of the sky.

gpsd is a daemon that receives data from a GPS receiver, and provides the data back to multiple applications such as Kismet or GPS navigation software. It thus provides a unified interface to receivers of different types, and allows concurrent access by multiple applications.

GNSS

GNSS stands for Global Navigation Satellite System, and is the standard generic term for satellite navigation systems that provide autonomous geo-spatial positioning with global coverage. This term includes e.g. the GPS, GLONASS, Galileo, Beidou and other regional systems. GNSS is a term used worldwide The advantage to having access to multiple satellites is accuracy, redundancy and availability at all times.  Though satellite systems don't often fail, if one fails GNSS receivers can pick up signals from other systems.  Also if line of sight is obstructed, having access to multiple satellites is also a benefit.  Common GNSS Systems are GPS, GLONASS, Galileo, Beidou and other regional systems.

GPS

The United States' Global Positioning System (GPS) consists of up to 32 medium Earth orbit satellites in six different orbital planes, with the exact number of satellites varying as older satellites are retired and replaced. Operational since 1978 and globally available since 1994, GPS is currently the world's most utilized satellite navigation system.

Hi Jim, did I thank you for your help lately? And for your patience? Much appreciated.

I'm not sure where you mean the setup needs to happen - "gpsd or gps"? Do you mean in Raspbian or in OP on the Serial tab? 
  • I first did a clean install of OP and Moitessier by following the instructions in the manual. 
  • I then did the update to OP 1.2 and the appropriate sw for the Moitessier. 
  • I checked the boot log and there were no errors 
  • I went through the manual again checking the settings in both OP and Moitessier
  • On the Serial tab in OP only the Moitessier was visible, and I used the "auto" button the set the variables as instructed. This assigned GPSD to the Moitessier HAT. There is no "GPS" option.
  • If I then run the Diagnostic on the kplex tab I get the results I reported earlier with no lat/lon info
  • To be honest I was not clicking on the "start" button for the Moitessier. I am still not certain if I have to do this every time I power on the RPi. I most certainly hope not, but the documentation is unclear to me.
  • I also realized, too late, that there is a GNSS Enable button on the Moitessier HAT. What is disconcerting is that when I click on the Settings tab in the Moitessier HAT app I get a message that "All changes will be temporal. Default settings will be loaded after rebooting."
  • I don't see a way in which I can save the current settings as the defaults. So does this mean that I need to enable GNSS every time I boot the RPi? That would be nuts, but I don't see any other way, assumign I am reading the message corectly.
It was out of frustration that I connected a GPS USB puck. I now have the Moitessier HAT assigned to Kplex on the OP Serial tab, and the GPS USB puck assigned to GPSD. I boot the RPi and I get lat/lon info without having to activate any other settings. But this is not my preferred config, I'd really prefer to just the Moitessier HAT.

As a side note the USB GPS puck and the Moitessier HAT puck are sitting side-by-side on my window shelf, so they are getting the identical signal.
regards
Trevor