This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PyPilot as a Raymarine or Navico AP
I have both a Raymarine and a SIMRAD (Navico) mfd's. Both have the ability to control their manufacturer's AP.

Would it be possible to add software to PyPilot to make is masquerade as a Raymarine or Navico AP? Currently there is no standard for AP control, so control is proprietary.

I am not talking about APB sentences etc. I am talking about full control of the AP from my SIMRAD or Raymarine mfd. Left, right, on, off, mode et cetera.

Like a layer over PyPilot sending and receiving proprietary sentences ...
(2018-10-23, 08:08 AM)rramsey Wrote: Would it be possible to add software to PyPilot to make is masquerade as a Raymarine or Navico AP? Currently there is no standard for AP control, so control is proprietary.

Are you talking about N2K? If you are then Signal K server has access to N2K, both read and write. You could create  plugin that receives & sends the required PGNs via the N2K bus and talks to PyPilot, translating and relaying data.

https://github.com/sbender9/signalk-raym...autopilot/ is doing to reverse: providing an http API to send the autopilot control PGNs, but there you get a list of the PGNs involved for Raymarine.

For Seatalk see https://github.com/joabakk/signalk-seatalk1-autopilot.
I agree, if it uses n2k, then to translate to signalk is all that is needed.

There is an opencpn plugin that connects directly to pypilot you might consider instead of proprietary mfd
(2018-10-23, 07:57 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: I agree, if it uses n2k, then to translate to signalk is all that is needed.

There is an opencpn plugin that connects directly to pypilot you might consider instead of proprietary mfd
I have a SIMRAD outside at the wheel - pretty cheap nowadays @ some 700 euros. I don't see gear to replace that with OPENCPN - water resistance, readability, control knobs et cetera are not yet op to proprietary stuff yet. Inside, yes, I use OPENCPN and I do think it is better.

So something to x-late up to and fro would be great. Means I can control PyPilot from the wheel with the SIMRAD mfd. I am no coder so it is all gobbledygook to me. Would be a nice add-on though ...

I have a SHIPMODUL to x-late 0183 to N2K and back, ST too.
You can easily enclose a monitor to make it water resistant. As for using knobs, it should be possible, but opencpn is not designed for this, so extra work is needed for that.

What you suggest using a proprietary MFD to control pypilot is probably possible to implement, but whoever does it would need to have the MFD, otherwise it is very difficult and not even useful for the implementer. For this reason it is unlikely unless you can contribute the source code.
I have a related but different question. I'd like to replace my functioning Raymarine wheel drive controller with OpenCPN/PyPilot, but keep the Raymarine hardware. The additional functionality in PyPilot is too hard to resist.

Would I just use use SignalK to send instructions to the Raymarine motor? In reality it doesn't seem any different from the PyPilot examples of controlling the wiper motor.
regards
Trevor
Yes you can use the Raymarine wheel drive unit (as I do), but not the Raymarine controller.