This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General help wanted on multiplexing
Hi tkurki,

thanks for the options outlined in your post, however, I now have a workaround for my situation. I am getting autopilot data from iSailor and also want to get all SK NMEA data into iSailor. However I can create multiple connections in iSailor so SK comes in on 10110 and autopilot data goes directly to opencpn on 10111, where it is filtered out onto a serial line.

I think the most elegant solution would be to to have 10110 as bidirectional and allow filtering on the serial output within SK, will add a post to github.
(2018-10-08, 10:31 PM)Newt2u Wrote: Hi tkurki,

thanks for the options outlined in your post, however, I now have a workaround for my situation. I am getting autopilot data from iSailor and also want to get all SK NMEA data into iSailor. However I can create multiple connections in iSailor so SK comes in on 10110 and autopilot data goes directly to opencpn on 10111, where it is filtered out onto a serial line.

I think the most elegant solution would be to to have 10110 as bidirectional and allow filtering on the serial output within SK, will add a post to github.
Hi Newt2u,

You seem to be one of the rare people using Openplotter with iSailor, something I’m trying to do as well. I’m trying to achieve just what you have, but I’m struggling. I get it all working, except getting the autopilot signals back from iSailor.

Here is what I have:

* Openplotter set up on RPi;
* GPS and AIS feeding openplotter over serial (from SH VHF);
* NMEA compass feeding openplotter over serial;
* Openplotter (signal K I guess) is multiplexing this and sending NMEA data to iSailor on iPad over Wi-fi (using TCP connection);
* OpenCPN is also seeing all data and plotting nicely on the RPi as well;
* The RPi is also connecting to my hotspot over Wi-fi and sharing this access to iPad (using second usb Wi-fi);
* My Autohelm (ST6002 + X-5) is hooked up to Openplotter, again by NMEA (via serial) and this is recieving COG and SOG data from Openplotter.

The missing link is that I can not get iSailor to send the XTE autopilot control signals from on the iPad, back to the Autohelm via Openplotter.

On openplotter, the TCP connection is set up as uni-directional (RPi to iPad). When I tried to set up a bi-directional UDP connection, iSailor actually lost all connections. Uni-direction UDP did work, but not when in bi-directional mode. I think I’ve also tried two separate TCP connections (which I think is what you had) on different server IP, but this didn’t seem to work either.

Any tips on what i need to do? This is the last step for me a perfect set up!

Thanks in advance.

John
John,

My plan is to use TCP to get iPad autopilot data to openCPN and then output via serial from openCPN into my ST6000. iI have set it up at home and get data into OpenCPN but have yet to check it out on my boat. However I am down there next week and will post further on my results.

I use two ports in iSailor, one to get legacy NMEA from openplotter and one to output autopilot data to openCPN.

I am documenting my approach and will post when its checked out.

Chris
@johnwilde
'The missing link is that I can not get iSailor to send the XTE autopilot control signals from on the iPad, back to the Autohelm via Openplotter.'
       It isn't XTE where you looking for. You need RMB sentences for the autopilot.
       I haven't got iSailor by hand but I can simulate the right settings with opencpn (If this works you can look for iSailor)
1. filter incomming sentences for autopilot. (Don't let AIS etc. flood your bottleneck 4800 communication to the autopilot!!!!)
     you need some gps (and optional some wind data)
2. block loops in general. (Don't send RMB sentences to signalk)
3. You have to setup a new TCP network in kplex. (The standard settings for TCP with direction both in openplotter relies on this thread (http://forum.openmarine.net/showthread.php?tid=753) and belongs to communicate with shipmodule. This doesn't work for opencpn.)

test Example where we use port 10100 for bidirectional TCP communication with opencpn
[Image: kplex-openplotter.jpg]

click on Advanced and insert the sentences below ###Manual settings
[Image: kplex-advanced.jpg]

setup opencpn to the following piture (backup the default settings (or make a picture) before you start this example)
[Image: kplex-opencpn.jpg]

Let opencpn control the autopilot.
right click on the chart and click Navigate To Here

in openplotter page Kplex click restart
click on st6002 line and click on Diangnostic

Now you should see output sentences to autopilot including (RMB)
If this works switch off opencpn and try with iSailor IP 10.10.10.1 and port 10100
E-sailing,

Thanks for that, it is usefull to know it can be set up like that. Filtering needs to be more comprehensive though as iSailor Supported NMEA output sentences are: APB, BOD, BWC, BWR, HSC, RMB, RMC and XTE. NMEA input rudder angle: RSA.

I solved the problem by inputting to opencpn from isailor then using opencpn to output to my serial link. All tested ok except the serial link which is not wired yet.

This is my setup, note that I use address 0.0.0.0 in opencpn to act as a server for any connection on port 10111, then I do not need to know the ipads ip address on the openplotter ap.

Still can’t upload files for some reason... pdf can be found here

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vdpw8vj2frv3ya...p.pdf?dl=0