This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kindle Paperwhite as KIP Cockpit Display
I have installed it from SK apps store and it seems to work but no data because right now I have not wind speed or depth and it seems that these are the defaults. Is there any way of changing these defaults without editing the html file? I think this app is really interesting and could be added to openplotter-dashboards app. Having settings in "SK server plugin config" would be great.
Update on my settings

Just for people similar to me (people who are no expert):

1. My kindle is connected on the wifi of Raspi (openplotter)
2. On raspi I can use Chromium to "see" the kindle app (after installation)
3. On my kindle I type 10.10.10.1:3000/@digitalyacht/sk-on-kindle/index.html

And then it works

All thanks for your help!!

Talk soon.

Bart
(2019-12-02, 03:58 AM)NahanniV Wrote: 10.10.10.8:3000
264index.html:390 Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'belowKeel' of undefined
   at getPriorities (index.html:390)
   at XMLHttpRequest.xhttp.onreadystatechange (index.html:110)
getPriorities @ index.html:390
xhttp.onreadystatechange @ index.html:110
XMLHttpRequest.send (async)
(anonymous) @ index.html:105
setInterval (async)
startRequestDataServer @ index.html:82
(anonymous) @ index.html:879

Hrmph. Apparently it does not work at all if you have no depth data. You can probably skip over this error by adding a fake environment.depth.belowKeel entry in your defaults.json, but not sure.

As this is not something I wrote I am not going to start supporting it. The idea is nice I think, I wish somebody would pick this project up and add a bit of functionality (more extended settings; pick any path and any unit conversion) and make it more robust. The app is not complex, should be doable for somebody learning JavaScript and HTML5.

(2019-12-02, 06:29 PM)Sailoog Wrote: I have installed it from SK apps store and it seems to work but no data because right now I have not wind speed or depth and it seems that these are the defaults. Is there any way of changing these defaults without editing the html file? I think this app is really interesting and could be added to openplotter-dashboards app. Having settings in "SK server plugin config" would be great.

Press the cogwheel to access settings (layout, units) and night mode. No way to change the set of data shown.

Settings are stored in localstorage in device, I don't think a separate configuration page in server admin would be the best solution here.
(2019-12-03, 08:27 PM)tkurki Wrote:
264index.html:390 Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'belowKeel' of undefined
setInterval (async)

Hrmph. Apparently it does not work at all if you have no depth data. You can probably skip over this error by adding a fake environment.depth.belowKeel entry in your defaults.json, but not sure.

As this is not something I wrote I am not going to start supporting it. The idea is nice I think, I wish somebody would pick this project up and add a bit of functionality (more extended settings; pick any path and any unit conversion) and make it more robust. The app is not complex, should be doable for somebody learning JavaScript and HTML5.

(2019-12-02, 06:29 PM)Sailoog Wrote: I have installed it from SK apps store and it seems to work but no data because right now I have not wind speed or depth and it seems that these are the defaults. Is there any way of changing these defaults without editing the html file? I think this app is really interesting and could be added to openplotter-dashboards app. Having settings in "SK server plugin config" would be great.

Press the cogwheel to access settings (layout, units) and night mode. No way to change the set of data shown.

Settings are stored in localstorage in device, I don't think a separate configuration page in server admin would be the best solution here.

If you look at the beginning of this tread you see the index5.html and Settings5.html. With these in the right folder Kindle you get Speed and Heading.

Simple install a gps mouse in serial SignalK and restart. Now you see in the Kindle browser the data appearing in two lines.

At the moment I'am running a test how long a full battery last with continiues running of the Kindle with the screen at 50 % backlight.

But at first the script file is running from the SignalK server, therefore you need an internet connection. Otherwise change the server setting to 10.10.10.1 etc. and your running SignalK from the RPI.

Regards,

Bram

Bram
(2019-12-03, 09:53 PM)verkerkbr Wrote:
(2019-12-03, 08:27 PM)tkurki Wrote:
setInterval (async)

If you look at the beginning of this tread you see the index5.html and Settings5.html. With these in the right folder Kindle you get Speed and Heading.

Simple install a gps mouse in serial SignalK and restart. Now you see in the Kindle browser the data appearing in two lines.

At the moment I'am running a test how long a full battery last with continiues running of the Kindle with the screen at 50 % backlight.

But at first the script file is running from the SignalK server, therefore you need an internet connection. Otherwise change the server setting to 10.10.10.1 etc. and your running SignalK from the RPI.

Regards,

Bram

Bram

With a full battery the Kindle runs around 10 hours on the battery.  With continues data output. No screen saver. Background ligthing at 50%
In another thread I have told how I emulate Depth and other data that are absent in my setup. I think I emulate 0 m below keel and when my sounder is on it reports depth below surface and thus has priority.

Tepo I really appreciate what you have done already, I hope the exposure this gets the project will attract contributors.

We/I need to pull together our learnings and wishes as a how I did it guide and that post on the signal k page you solicited above.

Unfortunately I lack the time to do solitary things I enjoy due to many incompatible demands of family.
Here the image of the Kindle with Kip application on the background. Testing the new alu case called Argon1. See the processor temperature. A RPI4 with 2 GB memory.
Case has an on/off switch to switch off the case in a safe way.

Bram

Attached Files Image(s)

(2019-12-04, 04:10 PM)verkerkbr Wrote: Hier nog een afbeelding

Bram,

Very cool.

Now you are obliged to the group to also send a pict of your boat ...Smile !

(Am working on this now:
Another idea you could do, if you have WiFi on the boat, would be get a WeMos D1 and install ESPEasy on it. It already has the code for using a BMP280 senson and many more. Set it up to send the data via MQTT to Node-RED on the Pi. You'll have to install a Mosquitto broker on the Pi along with NR, but that is a very simple thing to do.)

Best,

Bart
(2019-12-04, 04:10 PM)verkerkbr Wrote: Here the image of the Kindle with Kip application on the background. Testing the new alu case called Argon1. See the processor temperature. A RPI4 with 2 GB memory.
Case has an on/off switch to switch off the case in a safe way.

Bram

Because SignalK is an HTML file you can use the setting for the Kindle also on any other computer systeem.

Make a connection with the RPI and set the browser in the right direction.

This example is on an wireless Chromebook. You can resize to image if you like.

Bram

Attached Files Image(s)

(2019-12-03, 08:27 PM)tkurki Wrote: Settings are stored in localstorage in device, I don't think a separate configuration page in server admin would be the best solution here.

I know you are not the developer, but, I'd like to comment on this:

I think it would be useful if apps like this (and KIP) could have a way to store a default configuration on the server.
Then each new device would not have to set everything up from a blank page.

Also it seems from reading this thread that some very simple browsers like the ones on (Waterproof, sunlight viewable, low power) e-readers do not support the local storage functions.

Cheers,
JM.