This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kindle Paperwhite as KIP Cockpit Display
Hi JM,

The configuration file is on the RPI. In the Kindle and other systems it works in the browser and you can simply make a bookmark of the setting.

If I start the Kindle a connection is made with the Rpi. And the index5.html is still in the browser window. Clicking on the window and the data appears.

Typing the complet sentence is a bit difficult with this small window screen. But then you can quickly make a bookmark.

Bram
There is an app on GITHUB called: "signalk-dashboard-kindle"
The description is: "Web application designed to run on Kindle for displaying Signal K navigation data."
https://github.com/fabdrol/signalk-dashboard-kindle

But I don't see it in the APPstore.

Could someone tell me how to install it so I could give it a try ?

(2019-12-05, 11:41 PM)verkerkbr Wrote: Hi JM,

The configuration file is on the RPI. In the Kindle and other systems it works in the browser and you can simply make a bookmark of the setting.

If I start the Kindle a connection is made with the Rpi. And the index5.html is still in the browser window. Clicking on the window and the data appears.

Typing the complet sentence is a bit difficult with this small window screen. But then you can quickly make a bookmark.

Bram

Hi Bram,

By settings and configuration I mean the layout of the screen.
What I am suggesting is adding the ability to save a default layout to the server from whatever device you are using, and then any new devices would get that layout.

My understanding is that the kindle and KOBO do not support the local storage.
In post #8 above I link a source that claims local storage is supported. If not, perhaps a cookie?
[Image: 9107271d69b1b3390d53d8b108b23553.jpg]

I do emulate a couple of things depending upon what I have powered up/connected.

It is depth below surface that I emulate at 0, when my sounder on the depth sentence it uses has priority. I am not sure if I reshuffled the priority in the code to my needs.

A few others I remove the x from their names when I need them. I can’t remember why the speed was set to 40.

I think depth is the only thing that breaks the app if it isn’t present. The other ones just look ugly (errors).
Sharing the configuration may not be as useful as you think: you probably don’t want the same data and layout on devices with different screen sizes (computer/tablet/kindle/phone).

But adding this capability to the server is definitely a good idea, then it would be up to the apps if and how they support it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This package (@digitalyacht/sk-on-kindle) definitely has some potential, as it does not require my Kindle to be jailbroken and works out of the box - almost.

I found out that if any information is missing the entire page refuses to load.
It's easy to get around using the package (@essense/simulate-paths) and simulate the missing data, in my case right now I simulate:
environment.depth.belowKeel
environment.wind.angleApparent
environment.wind.speedApparent

As I'm developing from home and got a VPN from my kindle to my boat, and my sensor are turned off at the boat Wink

Unfortunately it's not written in a way that makes it possible to select "any" data from SignalK which is ideal, right now it can be hardcoded into something relevant but I would like a more dynamic solution. Motor temps when not sailing, autopilot info during crusing etc...

Trying to get other apps to function on the Kindle but as of yet, no luck.
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 42.2 - All Openplottered and hooked up on online.
Any progress on this?? (Looking for winter chores Smile )
(2021-10-28, 02:20 PM)fishy Wrote: Any progress on this?? (Looking for winter chores Smile )

Nope, no progress what so ever Big Grin
Still have a Kindle that is completely unused...
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 42.2 - All Openplottered and hooked up on online.
What is the expected battery life on the Kindle device when used for this purpose?
(2021-10-28, 03:42 PM)flybob Wrote: Nope, no progress what so ever Big Grin
Still have a Kindle that is completely unused...

Shame. If only there was something else you could do with these things... Confused

But seriously, I'd really like to have a wireless e-paper display for one or two dials and love to hear if someone made the Kindle do this particular thing  Big Grin