This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Am I dreaming or is this really possible?
Dear All,

I hope that I am posting this message to the right forum, I am basically trying to understand if open plotter can do the following without too much difficulties (I already use the raspberry for some domotics at home)

1) archive and display on a Web page temperature and humidity data from some sort of sensors, if yes which One?
2) import and send nmea1083 and 2000 to an ipad for Inavx?
3) send aïs data with the moitessier hat?
4) I presume that I will need some sort of double wifi antenna if I want to emit to a remote server but also send data to devices onboard such as an ipad?

Thanks in advance but I have difficulties to see if I can do all of this with this package

Gary

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk
Everything you mention is pretty much do-able with OpenPlotter. Some might require a little extra coding, but nothing dramatic.
(2018-11-14, 05:28 PM)gary.cantigneaux Wrote: 1) archive and display on a Web page temperature and humidity data from some sort of sensors, if yes which One?

Don't know what you mean with "archive", but you can connect different sensors to your Raspberry Pi, configure OpenPlotter to receive the data and then have it displayed on a web page.

As for which sensors people in this forum can help you out, but you get far more easily help by just googling for "raspberry pi temperature sensor tutorial" etc - plenty of tutorials out there. Ditto for humidity.

You can connect  nmea0183 data sources to OP and the data will be available over TCP for iNavX.
Also NMEA2000 sources can be connected with the appropriate adapters to OP. OP can convert most NMEA2000 data to Signal K format and Signal K data can be converted to NMEA0183 format, available for iNavX like data that was originally in NMEA0183 format.

It looks like iNavX support NMEA2000 data in Chetco's propietary format, but OP currently does not send that afaik.

Moitessier hat seems to be receive only.

4) I presume that I will need some sort of double wifi antenna if I want to emit to a remote server but also send data to devices onboard such as an ipad?

What do you mean by "remote server" here? I
f you want to make your onboard data available remotely (like from home when the boat is in the marina or a friend can see your data when you are sailing) you need Internet connectivity with wifi or 4g. There are multiple ways to do it and the exact setup depends - for example my own boat has a local wifi and remote connection is 4g, so I don't need a second wifi adapter.
(2018-11-15, 07:37 PM)tkurki Wrote:
(2018-11-14, 05:28 PM)gary.cantigneaux Wrote: 1) archive and display on a Web page temperature and humidity data from some sort of sensors, if yes which One?

Don't know what you mean with "archive", but you can connect different sensors to your Raspberry Pi, configure OpenPlotter to receive the data and then have it displayed on a web page.

As for which sensors people in this forum can help you out, but you get far more easily help by just googling for "raspberry pi temperature sensor tutorial" etc - plenty of tutorials out there. Ditto for humidity.

You can connect  nmea0183 data sources to OP and the data will be available over TCP for iNavX.
Also NMEA2000 sources can be connected with the appropriate adapters to OP. OP can convert most NMEA2000 data to Signal K format and Signal K data can be converted to NMEA0183 format, available for iNavX like data that was originally in NMEA0183 format.

It looks like iNavX support NMEA2000 data in Chetco's propietary format, but OP currently does not send that afaik.

Moitessier hat seems to be receive only.

What do you mean by "remote server" here? I
f you want to make your onboard data available remotely (like from home when the boat is in the marina or a friend can see your data when you are sailing) you need Internet connectivity with wifi or 4g. There are multiple ways to do it and the exact setup depends - for example my own boat has a local wifi and remote connection is 4g, so I don't need a second wifi adapter.
Thanks a lot for your help, this really helps.

So for the moment, i have just received my Raspberry Pi3+ (Thanks Santa) and i will install OP tonight or in the coming days. 

However, i did not yet find a good tutorial on how to connect the temperature sensor to OP, i found the way to have the data on the Raspberry but not the steps in need to take in OP. Can you help me with this?

Thanks,

Gary
Here's a good video.

https://youtu.be/j7LLVkPpQ78
Photo 
for temperature there are 1wire DS18B20, +- a resistor and data to pin4.. that is the easiest way just select the sensor in the 1w tab and give it a signalK key then it will show up in the signalk diag.window, stream
[Image: learn_raspberry_pi_breadboard-probe.png?1396801706]
[Image: 1W.jpg]
https://sailoog.gitbooks.io/openplotter-...en/1w.html

a Thermistor also works but you need a analog pin which the pi does not have you would need to add something like an ads1115 or an arduino "firmata" and configure it to use it.

i have used pir and gas sensors all types of switches magnetic, float, photosensors.so if you need help i'll try my best.
sorry i don't do the apple proprietary stuff i am no apple genius so ill be of no help there..open source Smile
i feed every thing to node red and deal with it there.
Thanks a lot and happy new year!

i will post my progress here as this might help the others!

Thanks,

Gary
Dear,

it worked, thanks a lot, so i basically followed some tutorial on the web to connect my sensor to the Raspberry then i had to add a few config in the config file to enable 1wire support on GPIO 4.

I have also added a Web app to show the Signal K temperature on a web page.

It all works for the moment.

So next step is to add more temperature sensors (I think about the fridge and then engine room) but for this i will need to find a way to have very long cables (about 5 meters), does any of you know how to do this?

Thanks,

Gary
https://www.maximintegrated.com/en/app-n...mvp/id/148#

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk