This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Booting from USB
With a RPI 3 model B +, it is very easy to set OP to boot from an USB volume using Noobs and the following steps :
  1. Format (SDformater) the USB volume whatever it is with a single FAT32 partition ;
  2. Copy the content of the Noobs  OP V1.0 directory to this partition ;
  3. Check there is no SD in the Pi, connect your USB  volume and put electrons !
  4. install OP 1.0, set your locale (keyboard !), then  upgrade (OP 1.2, OCPN and plugins), and you will be done !
With a RPI 2 B V1.2, a 3B (not +) you have to apply this procedure   previously.
Note than for an RPi2 not V1.2, boot from USB seems NOT possible.
Cordialement
Didier B
Pi4, SSD USB3, OP 3.0 Touch SK 3.2.1 OpenCPN  5.8.4 :  Thank you  Thank you  Thank you

this line in the linked article has caused confusion as not being able to boot from sd again..
""Once this bit has been set, the SD card is no longer required. Note that any change you make to the OTP is permanent and cannot be undone.""

BUT that is not the case you can still boot from sd.
What this does is enable boot from usb, it checks if there's a sd card and will boot from that first if available ..then checks for usb device if no sd card is found
you can have only one usb mass storage device plugged in to boot from usb, more than that it wont boot from my experience..this does NOT affect other usb devices sdr, wifi, ect.
so it wont boot from usb if two thumb drives are plugged in at boot time..even if one has the os and one is used for external storage, after boot you can plug in the the external storage to use it..

"Note than for an RPi2 not V1.2, boot from USB seems NOT possible."
it is possible but needs something like berryboot on an sd card. i used that on the first gen pi's.
but i wouldn't suggest using the older boards for op..
Mine is the Pi3B+

I have taken a fresh SSD formatted in Fat32. I have extracted NOOBS to the root of the drive. Plugged the drive into the Pi, removed the SD card and booted.

Absolutely nothing happens, and I'm left staring at a blank screen.

Second try. I did a DD of my Openplotter SDcard, and put that on the drive. Removed the SD card, and started up the Pi with SSD. Still nothing.

Yet when I do a DD of a default Raspbian Stretch installation, it boots perfectly fine from the SSD.
"I have extracted NOOBS to the root of the drive."
extracted gives one folder you need to open that, copy all those files&folders in there on to the drive.
it cant see them in that folder.
or burn an img.
i have never gotten an sd card copied to a usb drive to work right.
(2019-05-16, 07:44 PM)mikedeflieslife Wrote: Mine is the Pi3B+

I have taken a fresh SSD formatted in Fat32. I have extracted NOOBS to the root of the drive. Plugged the drive into the Pi, removed the SD card and booted.

Absolutely nothing happens, and I'm left staring at a blank screen.

Second try. I did a DD of my Openplotter SDcard, and put that on the drive. Removed the SD card, and started up the Pi with SSD. Still nothing.

Yet when I do a DD of a default Raspbian Stretch installation, it boots perfectly fine from the SSD.

extract the noobs Zip on your pc, you will get a dir "NOOBS_v2_8_1".
Copy the content of that directory to the root of your freshly FAT32 formated drive (not the "NOOBS_v2_8_1" directory itself) Exclamation
As say the readme.txt, when powered up, "Your Pi will now boot into NOOBS and should display a list of operating systems that you can choose to install."
Note : it take time, make a quiet cofee break Dodgy  ...

Noe 2 : the target SSD should have only a single FAT32 partition.
Cordialement
Didier B
Pi4, SSD USB3, OP 3.0 Touch SK 3.2.1 OpenCPN  5.8.4 :  Thank you  Thank you  Thank you

Ok looks like I've got it working. Initially I had to disconnect my GPS and Can-USB. It would not boot/setup noobs with those plugged in. After that, there was no problem.

Thank you all for the help and advice.
(2019-05-18, 03:07 PM)mikedeflieslife Wrote: Ok looks like I've got it working. Initially I had to disconnect my GPS and Can-USB. It would not boot/setup noobs with those plugged in. After that, there was no problem.

Thank you all for the help and advice.

To mee, this seems like a poor power supply. You will get all kinds of strange error if the power supply is not adequate.

What kind of power supply did you use ?  The original PI 3+ powersupply is of good quality and cheap.  Renember: Your SSD use a log more power than the microSD card.  since the SSD booted sucessfully when removing the GPS and Can-USB, the total power available to the SSD increased and the boot was sucessfull.