This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
linear actuator recomendations
(2021-03-19, 03:21 PM)yannbis Wrote: Thanks Sean.
Just to share the information we just get about taiwanese brand, Hurd, ELA45-300-070-12 (700N, 30mm/s loaded, 84mm/s unloaded, stroke 300mm)
-> price around 100€/piece for 3 actuators + 180€ shipping to France!

If any of you has feedback about an actuator you bought, this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Hello Yannbis, I hope you are doing well and your autopilot project steering perfectly! I just wanted to ask if you managed to connect the Hurd actuator and and try it? I plan to use it to steer a 3.200kg 30' sailboat. Do you think the 700N one you mentioned will do? Thanks a lot, any comment on this would be much appreciated!

Shipping sounds a bit expensive, but the actuators look great!
Five sailors from "Hisse et Oh " french forum ordered a Hurd, ELA45-300-070-12 actuator. Delivery en of May. We will let you know about installation and configuration with Pypilot.
(2021-04-22, 10:14 AM)yannbis Wrote: Five sailors from "Hisse et Oh " french forum ordered a Hurd, ELA45-300-070-12 actuator. Delivery en of May. We will let you know about installation and configuration with Pypilot.

Hi Yannbis,
How did you and your group from Hisse et Oh go with the Hurd actuators?
I am looking for a good actuator option for use with PyPilot - currently looking at the HB Pelagic style ones from China.
Thanks!
(2021-08-18, 12:50 PM)southwest24kn Wrote: Hi Yannbis,
I am looking for a good actuator option for use with PyPilot - currently looking at the HB Pelagic style ones from China.
Thanks!

Hello sorry for the late answer.We received our actuators. didn't had time for tests, but I will asks the other buyers and come back here soon...
(2021-08-27, 12:11 PM)yannbis Wrote:
(2021-08-18, 12:50 PM)southwest24kn Wrote: Hi Yannbis,
Thanks!

Hello sorry for the late answer.We received our actuators. didn't had time for tests, but I will asks the other buyers and come back here soon...

Hi, I'm curious too to know how the Hurd actuators go, let us know!
I have tested the hurd ELA35-300-030-12-L
It is a peace of crap compared to our Pcnautic (HB/Pelagic)
Noisy, no strength, the ball screw is to small for the job.
You have to divide the specs by at least 2 I guess compared to the specs from Pcnautic HB Pelagic type.
Maybe it is better to compare the more heavy units.
Are you sure any of these actuators use a ball screw? I suggest seems they use a cheaper lead screw. If it is actually a ball screw, then this is already a good deal if it is actually in stainless 316.
theoretically you are richt and would a ball screw be preferable, in practical use I have not seen yet a ball screw type that could beat our lead screw drive in performance and efficiency.
One off the big disadvantages is that you can move the push rod from the bal screw types, if there is any better efficiency with the ball screw types it gets lost by far because of that.
The type and size of the used motor has much more influence on the efficiency in combination with the exact calculated lead screw angle, size and pitch so you have the best performance and efficiency at the right power and speed. 

Yes the Hurd has a ball screw and our drive a lead screw, the hurd ELA35-300-030-12-L specified as 300N can not even handle 15.5kg I had to test with a lower weight I had and that was 12.8 kg ,he can barely handle that with around 3A @ 12V, our drive specified as 200N@45mms can easy handle that at 2.7A@12V, the max power off our drive is around 35kg.
The best performance our drive has is with a 200N load (=+/- 20kg)@ 45mms = 4A @ 12V
Any unit you can backdrive means it has lower friction and thus higher efficiency. If this is the case, then they do need a brake (reverse clutch) to fully realize this potential so they can hold position which pypilot does not really fully support. This would complicate things but the efficiency gains of ball screws are potentially large.

Electric motors are most efficient with lighter loads that only reduce free running speed by 10% or so. So this "hurd" actuator may well be more efficient at much lighter loads? Did you try 3 or 5kg? It seems strange that it cannot even move half its rating (Unless it expects 24 volts or something), but in general ball screws are significantly more efficient but would need software support and a brake to fully realize it, especially if there is significant weather helm.
(2021-01-29, 09:24 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: I'm also wondering the service life of the potentiometer.   Many have 10,000 cycles which is not much at sea. It may last longer than the rating though.

I had one of the PcNautic actuators delivered yesterday ,
https://pcnautic.nl/nl/autopilot/pcnauti...ive-detail
 potentiometer looks like  this one >
Bourns 3590s-2-103l
https://www.bourns.com/pdfs/3590.pdf

Rotational Life (No Load).................................................................................................................................................1,000,000 shaft revolutions