This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
5V Power Converters
You could try a higher frequency converter.
Hey Didier B did you add any circuits to the buck converter. Could send me a link?
I would like to add a power board so i can avoid using the micro usb connector on the RPI and feed power to the 5v pin.
I removed my pico usb board. I want screw terminals for 12V in
The usb power option works fine behind a tv but i dont want it to come loose when i am getting beat by waves.
(2019-01-22, 08:43 PM)ddelorme Wrote: ... Hey Didier B did you add any circuits to the buck converter. Could send me a link?
I would like to add a power board so i can avoid using the micro usb connector on the  RPI and feed power to the 5v pin.
I removed my pico usb board. I want screw terminals for 12V in
The usb power option works fine behind a tv but i dont want it to come loose when i am getting beat by waves.
Hi ddelorme,
The DC converter I use is the XL4015 DC-DC Buck Converter Step Down Module Power Supply Output 1.23V-36V 5A
I put hot glue on the base of the choke to avoid possible trouble with the boat beating in the waves. I set the output to 5,2 VDC,
and put some nail varnish on the potentiometer screw.
I' have used this for one year in my 3 configurations and it worked lke a charm !

[Image: s-l500.jpg]
Regarding the use of USB micro connector to power the Pi, I just hate it !
In fact I use the  Farnell element 14 Pi desktop.  It consist of one enclosure plus a Hat extension which offers the following smart features :
  • mSATA SSD port ;
  • Safe power shutdown facility ;
  • RTC (not usefull with OP) ;
If anyone is is interested (and anyone should be !) it is a good idea to read about in The maker space !
Important : that enclosure offers enough space to locate the power supply above module plus one MPU9250 and a barrel connector to bring the 12 VDC in !.

The pi is powered via the HAT extension through the GPIO. The HAT is supposed to be powered via the much hated micro USB Connector Angry  ,
but I use the GPIO pin 2 and 6  to connect the power from the module. Some epoxy  glue into the f..... beeep! micro connector
will avoid any temptation to use that sh..BEEEP  in the future . . .  Shy
Cordialement
Didier B
Pi4, SSD USB3, OP 3.0 Touch SK 3.2.1 OpenCPN  5.8.4 :  Thank you  Thank you  Thank you

looks good is there room for another hat in the case?
Will it work with A pi3+
What is the power draw like from the ssd?
I have a similar Buck converter same chip no heat sink.
Dont worry Swear like a sailor. It is good for your mental health I did a bit the other day after trying to debug a few unrelated issues in code over several days. Only to find out it was a few loose connections. Du!
(2019-01-23, 03:24 PM)ddelorme Wrote: looks good is there room for another hat in the case?
Will it work with A pi3+
Dont worry Swear like a sailor. It is good for your mental health I did a bit the other day after trying to debug a few unrelated issues in code over several days. Only to find out it was a few loose connections. Du!
It is working with a Pi3B + Wink ; also tested wih a a PI 3 B and should work with a Pi 2
Some converters are sold with a heat sink, some are not ... I have a loonnng heat sink from which I cut slices as requested ... Smile
I don't think there is room enough for another hat. What kind of hat would you like to pack with ?   Huh
Connectors ! They should always be the most expensive part of any project  Exclamation
Cordialement
Didier B
Pi4, SSD USB3, OP 3.0 Touch SK 3.2.1 OpenCPN  5.8.4 :  Thank you  Thank you  Thank you

(2019-01-23, 04:26 PM)Didier B Wrote:
(2019-01-23, 03:24 PM)ddelorme Wrote: looks good is there room for another hat in the case?
Will it work with A pi3+
It is working with a Pi3B + Wink ; also tested wih a a PI 3 B and should work with a Pi 2
Some converters are sold with a heat sink, some are not ... I have a loonnng heat sink from which I cut slices as requested ... Smile
I don't think there is room enough for another hat. What kind of hat would you like to pack with ?   Huh
Connectors ! They should always be the most expensive part of any project  Exclamation

I have a older saillog breakout board that i have my mpu mounted to and some lines for buttons and 1w breakout and soon a breakout for serial tx and gnd so i can route NMEA  to my radio.
I have been looking to design a case but i suck at freecad...
I had good connectors just I must of been 3 sheets to the wind when i crimped them and did the pull test. Santa Maria!

I just got my updated boards back from OSH park... soo pleased They are identical to the first version that was wrong DUH! I used the same filename DUH!. Something got messed up as i checked my local file and it is the new version and the old one was over written when I made the changes...
Used a few choice pirate words.. Hornswaggled by a [b]Son of a biscuit eater ... Dirty [b]Freebooter...[/b][/b]
Then I sent a nice polite email.
Hopefully they cut me a deal on faster shipping. Sad I have 3 projects very near completion Wireless wind sensor/ anchor light, New code for my Epsolar charge controllers and a update to my Auto pilot.
Hi Andy,

it is important to know if you have common or differential mode disturbers.

On a simple switcher 12 > 5 V and no RF transimission or high voltage output you
should have differential mode currents only.

This can be fixed with a LC Filter as described here:
https://www.we-online.de/web/en/electron...imiert.php

High voltage switcher have capacitive loads and some current is taking
the direct way to the ground. Because of this you get common mode currents on both
plus and gnd and all signal wires. > common mode choke

Same if you have a RF transmitter. Some energy is hopefully escaping via RF.
So the current is flowing over all, power and signal wires. > common mode choke.

For a simple switcher a differential filter, LC or just capacitors should be OK.

But I have no experience about LCD or TFT Panel. Maybe they require common mode
filter as well. I will have a phone call with wurth electronic about this.

They have application engineers locally and are very willing to help.

Best wishes,
Chris