This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OpenPlotter v2.x.x is coming!!
Look at the list of apps in openplotter-settings app. There you can see an "openplotter-dashboards" app Smile
That app is in charge of installing and easy configuring InfluxDb+Grafana, node-red-dashboard and KIP. Actually when you install packages sources from openplotter-settings all sources for InfluxDb+Grafana are already installed too. I have not played with chronograf yet but I guess it could be added.

openplotter-dashboards is already tested and working, we should just adapt it to the new OP2 format and make the installable package.

tkurki what do you think about the new SK installer app? after installing now we just run signalk-server-setup but the idea is to make an internationalized GUI form for this. We are distributing this as deb package so you may want to have a non openplotter dependent app for this to be executed in debian and derivatives.
Would it make sense to have the GUI setup app in the sk server codebase and have it call signalk-server-setup with command line parameters? Then we could have one place where the logic to create sk server basic settings is mastered.

An example: we should add a new environment parameter. If command line and GUI setup scripts are separate it is very easy to miss updating the separate one.

But do we actually need a separate GUI for this? What about launching the server admin in ”first time setup wizard” mode, so that it would guide you through the basic setup? This would have the added benefit of being usable everywhere with a browser and teach people to use the SK admin. It could also auto discover your serial devices and guide you through their setup.

What do you think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can see 2 different tasks here:

- One is the installing stuff, this is what we need now in OP to install the right node/npm version and signal k server packages we need.
- The second one is the "first settings" stuff.

The first task depends on the host system (linux flavors, windows...) and it does not need a GUI. The second one is what your signalk-server-setup does and since it needs user interaction, a multilingual GUI could be an improvement. Now our app does task 1 and 2 and is the only app that does not have a GUI in OP because task 1 is done silently and task 2 is done calling your script in a separate terminal window. The second step was adding the GUI replacing your signalk-server-setup and translate it to all languages OP supports.

But, what you propose about the ”first time setup wizard” seems a brilliant idea. This would be a sort of multi-platform replacement for signalk-server-setup.
If that wizard is added to signal k server we will remove the terminal running signalk-server-setup instead of replacing it by a GUI for sure.
In addition signalk-server-setup also creates the systemd configuration. I guess the wizard could do also that and work so that you can run it multiple times if needed.

Now we just need to implement the setup wizard...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OK, we will try to adapt OP to it as usual.
Now, we have to go forward with signalk-server-setup in OP 2. thanks.