This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting started - pypilot on 1980 Gulfstar MY
Within a week or two I will be finishing up the first part of my openplotter installation. I then want to move on to pypilot.  Forgive me as I am a newb to openplotter and raspberry pi.  My boat has an old autopilot that doesn’t work very well so last year I disconnected that and installed a garage door type of remote from amazon that allowed me to remotely steer my boat by simply supplying 12 v to one side or the other of the hydraulic pump. This was the best damn 15 dollar upgrade I ever made!  So to get started with pypilot I understand I need an mpu-9255?  Correct?   Then what exactly do I need to drive the motor?  Can someone give me some recommendations? Do I need any other hardware?  That is all for now. Just want to get everything on order.  Thanks
For my pilot, i use a berryIMU http://ozzmaker.com/product/berryimu-acc...de-sensor/

I don't know if it's the best item at the best price, but i've bought it far before Pypilot exist and it's a good reconversion (moreover, it fit perfectly my raspberry pi).
To control the pilot, i use a brushed esc: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbywing-qu...tore=en_us

A diy h-bridge will be more efficient and cheaper, but the esc is easier to setup.
Moreover, I use an arduino nano. Fuse setup on this was the "hard" part (i've an usbasp to program the arduino).

For the moment, in my room it work, will try it on my boat certainly this week (connecting it to my wheel autopilot motor, hopping it work because not tested it for now !).

The garage door remote seem to be a good idea !
(2019-03-21, 01:51 AM)tobyyost Wrote: Within a week or two I will be finishing up the first part of my openplotter installation. I then want to move on to pypilot.  Forgive me as I am a newb to openplotter and raspberry pi.  My boat has an old autopilot that doesn’t work very well so last year I disconnected that and installed a garage door type of remote from amazon that allowed me to remotely steer my boat by simply supplying 12 v to one side or the other of the hydraulic pump. This was the best damn 15 dollar upgrade I ever made!  So to get started with pypilot I understand I need an mpu-9255?  Correct?   Then what exactly do I need to drive the motor?  Can someone give me some recommendations? Do I need any other hardware?  That is all for now. Just want to get everything on order.  Thanks

There are many possible options, but I suggest you get an mpu9255 for your raspberry with openplotter.

Other than that you just need a motor controller.   I have on my store, or you can build your own.  There are several different ways of doing it.

I might be using garage door remote control for pypilot soon.