This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using RPI3B+ as AP for WEBBOAT 4G LITE
Hi, I bought an WEBBOAT 4G LITE last friday and put it up on a pole on the stern. It turned out not to be the easiest thing to get it running as I want to. Apart from making the right configuration I discovered that I might need an AP in the cabin to have access to internet for my different units. The WEBBOAT 4G LITEdoes not manage the angle and distance down in the cabine. Distance is 5m and 3.5m below the dome.
A solution could be to by an access ponint  from Glomex and install it with a cable from the Can on the pole but then I came to think about my RPI allready installed and running.
  • Shall I use an RPI instead and is it wise to use the one I have as plotter?
  • How does it have to be configured and how many devices can access it during the same time?
  • Will using it as an AP slow it down as a plotter?
As I said I have an RPI 3B+ it is put together with the standar 7'' screen and a computer fan attached to it
OP 1.2 installed.
Running OpenCPN 5.0
Connected to Nexus NX2 for wind/logg/temp and depth, NMea 0183
Recieving AIS and GPS info thru USB connections
Sending steering information to Raymarine EV-200
All above in the same RPI and only using OpenCPN interface for the data stream
WiFi setting today is only Client
All is served with electricity from a 5V 3A USB source.
Last question, would it be wiser to put a second RPI as AP for WiFi and maybe use it for planning on the TV

/Olle

/Olle
I’ve used both a 2 and a 3b+ as an access point with great success.

I tether an iphone via usb for the internet source and performance very good on both machines.

At the weekend we watched a couple of movies on an ipad pro without a glitch.

Steve