This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rotary / Chain drive motor alternatives
Hi Guys

Another question - has anyone successfully adapted an automotive based motor for a chain drive / sprocket drive autopilot driver?

i.e. i was looking at it, and it seems to me that an automotive door window motor may be a good option, as they are pretty high torque (higher than the wiper motor examples i've seen).

Just wondering if anyone has played with this at all...

They have a stall torque of around 10 NM (half of the T1 Raymarine drive, which is 20 NM), but are a 2x faster (60 RPM vs 33 RPM), so you could adjust with a larger sprocket on the wheel shaft... so it seems to be "in the ballpark"...

Of course the appeal is $20 vs $1500....
I am interested in your decision. I assume from your question that you intend to make a wheel pilot with chain drive? If so, a disengage clutch will be important. The wheel pilots use a belt drive and depend on belt tension and slippage as a clutch.
A previous auto pilot was very difficult to disengage which made it sometimes dangerous.
--
Larry - s/v Katie Lee Passport 45 Ketch (For Sale) - somewhere in Taiwan