This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moitessier HAT compass faulty?
Hi All,

After testing my new HAT on my OpenPlotter 1.2.0, pi 3b setupĀ I must say AIS works great, pitch / roll work fine, but the compass is a big disappointment.

Since OpenCPN apparently only re-draws the heading of my ship-icon when I force a refresh by zooming out / in, I added a dashboard to show mag hdg, pitch, heel

Pitch and Heel show reasonable looking data, but the compass always seems to crawl back to a value between 70 and 90. When I rotate the pi, it may briefly go up to 350, or down to 5, but then within seconds it's back to , say, 80.

Although I am testing indoors, there are no large metallic objects nearby (with a couple of meters)

What am I missing here?

Thanks for any tip on this!
This is normal when the compass is not calibrated. To calibrate, you have just to go sailing. If you want to calibrate at home you have to simulate boat movement and change heading slowly until complete 60 degrees minimum. Sometimes the metallic structure of your building is enough to not calibrate successfully and the best test is the real life.

See the docs for more info: https://docs.sailoog.com/openplotter-v1-...alibration
(2019-05-14, 08:27 PM)Sailoog Wrote: This is normal when the compass is not calibrated. To calibrate, you have just to go sailing. If you want to calibrate at home you have to simulate boat movement and change heading slowly until complete 60 degrees minimum. Sometimes the metallic structure of your building is enough to not calibrate successfully and the best test is the real life.

See the docs for more info: https://docs.sailoog.com/openplotter-v1-...alibration

Thanks- calibrated and now that bit works fine. Strange that when sailing it didn't- or at least opencpn didn't update the ship orientation. I noticed sometimes it needs to be forced by zooming. Is there another trick I am missing?

Thanks again!
There is also a bug in OpenCPN V5, it will not draw the "boat heading" vector on the screen until a GPS position update is recieved. If you lose your GPS signal, you will also lose the compass vector on the screen.