This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Server Hardware for openplotter?
Hi Thomas, with the latest MCS version 2.1.9 everything seems OK. I just have to try it out on the boat. Good wind!  Smile
(2020-06-04, 01:35 PM)glowntiger Wrote:
(2020-06-03, 02:01 PM)flybob Wrote:
(2020-06-02, 08:46 AM)glowntiger Wrote: For information:
In the next app Version the MCS is able to READ! Seatalk1.
For this you can connect the yellow seatlk1 wire  to one of the inputs (In1-In4) and you get the Data from the Seatalk bus!

You Sir, are amazing!
Can't wait to get this up and running. Have you already made a plugin to decode Seatalk to.. what?
Hi flybob,
the App convert the hex-signs to a $STALK string. This can send to SignalK and SignalK converts it to SignalK deltas... ;-)
So all is done... ;-)

@Sailoog:
I have further upload the stand alone script. If you want you can add this directly to Openplotter. You can use instead of the MCS an optocopler on the GPIO of the Pi... ;-)
https://github.com/Thomas-GeDaD/Seatalk1-Raspi-reader

Hi ! Really cool that You have released the "how to" and the Python code. Awesome job ! I have done some "fine-tuning" regarding the installation instructions and published it in this post http://pysselilivet.blogspot.com/2020/06...r-diy.html

Thanks !

Blog; https://pysselilivet.blogspot.com/
Hi MatsA,

I have read it and have taken a look at the code… Realy good work.. Wink 
But I have wondered that this nobody have done before. With Pigpio it is very simple?? Huh
Smile 
(2020-06-14, 08:03 PM)glowntiger Wrote: Hi MatsA,

I have read it and have taken a look at the code… Realy good work.. Wink 
But I have wondered that this nobody have done before. With Pigpio it is very simple?? Huh

Hi Thomas !

Thanks, but You did the job !!
It's always simple when You have done it [Image: smile.png]

Also did a post on Slack and got a reaction from @tkurki https://app.slack.com/client/T02ENM6QA/C...532.145300
but as said, I don't have the skills......

Blog; https://pysselilivet.blogspot.com/
(2020-06-10, 07:53 AM)glowntiger Wrote: I integrate the pigpio in the next app version.

@Sailoog,
is it possible to do this with the intallation of the deb package? I have add the dependences to the control file... But only get an info after install that the dependence is missing?
Or is the best way to do this in the postinstallation script?

Thanks
Thomas

Do not add dependencies to the debian package in control file because dpkg does not install them.
Use the post install script,there you can install dependencies and enable services:

Code:
    print(_('Installing dependencies...'))
    try:
        subprocess.call(['apt', '-y', 'install', 'mypackage'])
        print(_('DONE'))
    except Exception as e: print(_('FAILED: ')+str(e))

try:
        print(_('Enabling services...'))
        subprocess.call(['systemctl', 'enable', 'myservice'])
        print(_('DONE'))
    except Exception as e: print(_('FAILED: ')+str(e))
Tried hooking it up to the St1 bus today and now I got even more data to display. Even got the rudder angle but OpenCPN dashboard really can't handle all the info... Need to display in a better fashion.

Works like a charm, great job Thomas!!
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 42.2 - All Openplottered and hooked up on online.
New issues arise of course.

Somehow the Course computer seems to know that there's something fishy going on when I've got MCS connected on the ST1 bus.
If it's not connected, all instruments wake up and work as expected.
As soon as I connect one yellow wire (No Red/Black) from the course computers available ST1 output, the instruments display "Seatalk-Fail"

I get all the data in MCS, but the instruments refuse to display theirs instead...

Any ideas on why ST fails when I connect the MCS? Note that I only use the yellow wire.
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 42.2 - All Openplottered and hooked up on online.
Do you have the same gnd potential? The input is only a Optocoppler with an 4,7Kohm resistor. Normaly this should not be a issue for the st1...
HAve you try to connect also the gnd to the board?
What kind of ST1 devices are connected? I have try ti with ST60+ (Wind, Depth, Log, Multi) and ST4000+ pilot without any problems....
(2020-06-30, 01:10 PM)glowntiger Wrote: Do you have the same gnd potential? The input is only a Optocoppler with an 4,7Kohm resistor. Normaly this should not be a issue for the st1...
HAve you try to connect also the gnd to the board?
What kind of ST1 devices are connected? I have try ti with ST60+ (Wind, Depth, Log, Multi) and ST4000+ pilot without any problems....

I have the exact same problem:
Quote:Somehow the Course computer seems to know that there's something fishy going on when I've got MCS connected on the ST1 bus.
If it's not connected, all instruments wake up and work as expected.
As soon as I connect one yellow wire (No Red/Black) from the course computers available ST1 output, the instruments display "Seatalk-Fail"

I tried with only the yellow connected and with yellow and gnd connected. Same issue.

Have soldered up a buffer circuit, but have not had a opportunity to test.

Will revert next week.
Which devices do you use?