This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Server Hardware for openplotter?
(2019-05-23, 07:41 AM)glowntiger Wrote:
(2019-05-22, 07:00 PM)Didier B Wrote: Hi Didier,
thanks for your comment.
My inputs in blue

After assembling my 1st configuration in a standard vented project box, I came to the config below which I think a fair balanced approach :
  • PC unit : of course an openplotter distribution on a  Pi 3B+,
  • Enclosure : Pi desktop, a classy, WIFI and Bluetooth friendly (made of resin), not waterproof to avoid any condensation issue, and leave a way out to humidity and excessive heat. My experience is that alu cases are no problem. I use them in different enviroments also industrie. You have roaund about 5-10% less of Wlan Power. I think in a boat this is no problem. The benefit in a alucase is that you do not need a ventilation. I usually use big cases and there is no problem
    this depends what you have in the box. In the Pi desktop, with the SSD it reached 70° after a few hours...
  • Micro fan for heat extraction :
  • SSD mSATA 128 GB (SSD is a Pi desktop feature) ; As I discriped above. I leave space in the case for this.
  • secure on/off button, (Pi desktop feature) ; I think you mean the "Power" Button? See in the Picture. I have planed this as an 8-28V In. High= On, Low= Pi shuts down and cut connection when down.
  • NO SD CARD ;
    Note : at 55€, Pi Desktop is not a low cost enclosure, but consider the bunch of offered features : (SSD support, secure on/off switch, absence of SD card, free room to acomodate fan, power supply and compass).
  • Strong supply, step down 8..36V to 5.24V (USB limit being 5.25V !), 5A, protected by a Schottky diode against reversed polarity, fits in Pi desktop enclosure ; At the moment I use a MP1593. 3A normal. I calibrate them to 5,15V until now I have never problems with that. Why so higth? You think 8-28V range is not enough? Should I expand this?
    regarding the out voltage I don't want to see the yellow lightning ! Regarding the current I prefer to have some spare and for a long erm usage rather work close to 50% than to 100%. Regarding the input voltage excurson range, this was not my requirement, but the performance of the item I use

• GY91 module as barometer (BME280) and IMU (MPU9250), installed in Pi desktop enclosure ; First my plan was to do this. But after the comment of abarrow I have change. I have ready a Firmware for my W-Lan Sensor (GeCoS-W-TH). This is a BME280 with a ESP. Until now it also sends  NMEA UDP (Pressure, Temp, hum). I think its better becouse you can use it in a better enviroment. It also works with 8-2
    Of course it makes no sense to measure pressure in an IPxx enclosure, which PiDesktop isn't ... Smile  Other atmospheric sensors shoulb be outside the enclosure, connected directly via I2C
  • All Internal data and fan connections by wire wrapping (fast, very reliable and quite reversible technique, perfect for prototyping and small series) ; My english is not so good ;-) I dont understand what you mean with this point?
    have a look to this video
  • AIS : by SDR via a powered  USB HUB, but now many DSC VHF offers that function, using a single antenna, and connected via an RS422/USB adapter ; Yes, but the most AIS reciever also use NMEA0183/2000?
    Of course, easily connected via a USB adapter
  • GNSS : via a cheap, small, dual USB module, offering both GPS and GLONASS ; easily replaced when more players will turn around the planet (Galileo, Beidou) :
  • Boat NMEA0183 (1st gen.) : via a DB9 RS232 USB adapter;
  • Everything fits in the box, or is connected via USB ...
Multimedia : I agree with Jim321 than video, requiring huge disk and large screen and related high power consumption should be supported by different system, but Music is part of the navigation, and I put a few GB of mp3 on the SSD, using VLC and the Bluetooth to send to a speaker, works like a charm ! Wink
I think I have wrong expressed: I have no Monitor on this Pi. I use it as a bluetooth reciever (The boxes on the Pi) so I can stream the Music from my phone or tablett. And I have internetradio on this pi wich I can controll from my phone.
This comment was an answer to Jim321...

What I will always favor :  a small 11 x 11 x 5 cm enclosure, a single VHF antenna, lowest possible power consumption, ease of use of the USB ...
Cordialement
Didier B
Pi4, SSD USB3, OP 3.0 Touch SK 3.2.1 OpenCPN  5.8.4 :  Thank you  Thank you  Thank you

Hi, I have just find out this thread. That sounds promising. I have not read all posts, I need some free time Sad but here are my first thoughts.

- It would be perfect that you could use the current software features of Openplotter so you do not need to program anything.
- Please make this compatible with moitessier hat and pypilot!!
- I think RPi can not manage multiple EEPROMs and moitessier hat has already one.
- We do not need RTC.
- N2K is ok but instead of NMEA 0183 in/out I prefer to have digital and analog sensors. NMEA 0183 could be connected by USB with cheap converters.

Moitessier hat uses SPI (CS0) and I2C. Pypilot uses UART and makes an intensive use of I2C (IMU). I think you have many I2C devices and this could be too much for the poor raspberry I2C interface.
(2019-05-27, 09:19 PM)Sailoog Wrote: Hi Sailoog,
thanks for your reply.
See in red:

Hi, I have just find out this thread. That sounds promising. I have not read all posts, I need some free time Sad but here are my first thoughts.

- It would be perfect that you could use the current software features of Openplotter so you do not need to program anything. The Pi supports the SC16is752 directly by dtoverlay. For the MCP2515 there is a part of software avalible. Is there a better possibility to intigrate this in openplotter? Can I integrate the MCP23017 and MCP3424 directly?
- Please make this compatible with moitessier hat and pypilot!! It´s conform with moitessier. I dont´t know the pypilot hat?
- I think RPi can not manage multiple EEPROMs and moitessier hat has already one. I don´t need a eeprom?
- We do not need RTC. I have write it before. I use the pi for different thinks and my GPS is not active all the time. But if nobody use this i delet it... Cool
- N2K is ok but instead of NMEA 0183 in/out I prefer to have digital and analog sensors. NMEA 0183 could be connected by USB with cheap converters. I use at the moment a Logilink AU0033. I have always problems with this.... I don´t want to do this through usb.... Confused  Becouse of that I wnat to use the SC16is52. But later I can make different versions without NMEA0183... That´s why I made the board... Wink
What you mean with sensors? Analog and digital I/O´s?

Moitessier hat uses SPI (CS0) and I2C. Pypilot uses UART and makes an intensive use of I2C (IMU). I think you have many I2C devices and this could be too much for the poor raspberry I2C interface.
For the MCP2515 I use SPI on CS1. I don´t need uart. But all other devices runs over I2C. My digital I/O uses an MCP23017 and the Analog uses MCP3424. (Design on PCB for 0-10V and 0-20mA) usualy a requeust (read/write) needs ~2ms. Because of this I want to put also I/O´s directly on the board for rpm and other highspeed applications.
Can you give me more Informations from pypilot hat?
(2019-05-28, 07:37 AM)glowntiger Wrote:
thanks for your reply.
See in red:

- It would be perfect that you could use the current software features of Openplotter so you do not need to program anything. The Pi supports the SC16is752 directly by dtoverlay. For the MCP2515 there is a part of software avalible. Is there a better possibility to intigrate this in openplotter? Can I integrate the MCP23017 and MCP3424 directly?
- Please make this compatible with moitessier hat and pypilot!! It´s conform with moitessier. I dont´t know the pypilot hat?
- I think RPi can not manage multiple EEPROMs and moitessier hat has already one. I don´t need a eeprom?
- We do not need RTC. I have write it before. I use the pi for different thinks and my GPS is not active all the time. But if nobody use this i delet it... Cool
- N2K is ok but instead of NMEA 0183 in/out I prefer to have digital and analog sensors. NMEA 0183 could be connected by USB with cheap converters. I use at the moment a Logilink AU0033. I have always problems with this.... I don´t want to do this through usb.... Confused  Becouse of that I wnat to use the SC16is52. But later I can make different versions without NMEA0183... That´s why I made the board... Wink

For the MCP2515 I use SPI on CS1. I don´t need uart. But all other devices runs over I2C. My digital I/O uses an MCP23017 and the Analog uses MCP3424. (Design on PCB for 0-10V and 0-20mA) usualy a requeust (read/write) needs ~2ms. Because of this I want to put also I/O´s directly on the board for rpm and other highspeed applications.

I would argue in favour of keeping the RTC. As you say, there will be times when the GPS is turned off but other applications could still need a real time source. I would think it would add little to the circuit overheads, as he RTC chips are cheap enough and consume little power.
(2019-05-28, 07:37 AM)glowntiger Wrote:
thanks for your reply.
See in red:

OpenPlotter is already ready for MCP2515. MCP23017 and MCP3424 will need some python scripting and OP integration as tools.

Pypilot is not a HAT, it needs an IMU connected by I2C and a motor controller board connected by UART. It also needs NMRA 0183 devices connected to any serial port. It needs an intensive use of the IMU data and you have many I2C devices...

You need an eeprom only if you have to load a device tree for your HAT.

RTC optional is good for me.

Yes, analog and digital I/O. We do not have many free GPIO to connect sensors like motion detectors, switches, float switches, door switches... and we need A/D conversion. Now we use MCP3008 by SPI1

Have you considered to add an small battery to work as UPS.
Hi Sailoog,
Mh... I can not do without I2C. All my I/O moduls are ready, and I have no Idea to expand the RS422 by another way?
But If anyone have problems with I2C traffic, can use the pypilot without the SC16is52?
By the way: You can drive a DC Motor (Tiller Wheel or Hdraulic Pump) with my PWM Modul and two relays... https://www.gedad.de/shop/gecos-wired/#c...4295552622 (The "RGBW Modul" can drive up to 15A) (PCA9685)
Or I can put a Motorcontroller on the board?
Hi Guys,
I had some Time during the Weekend. I have made a first Schema and PCB Design.

At the Moment on board are 1-Wire (DS2482-100) NMEA2000 (MCP2515 with MCP2562), 6x NMEA0183 (SC16IS752 with MAX3485) and 4x Optokoppler for 8-28V Input. On the Schema I have Consider the Moitessier hat.
Further I have add a I2C conn. for the In and output Boards.
Now I want to add the Powermanagement. My idea: 
I add a further Input. If you power this Input high (8-28V) the Pi starts. If you power the Input down, I switch an Input on the Pi to high, a script shuts the pi down. About a time delay (15s?) the power supply shut down. Now you can restart the System to switch to high.  Disadvantage: Between this 15s? you can not restart the Pi.
What do you think?

Further:
I have requestet some Cases. Alu and Plastic.

https://www.chinaenclosure.com/products/...AW-10.html (Alucase round about 40 USD)
https://www.chinaenclosure.com/products/...-wate.html (Plastccase round about 6USD)
Or something like this:
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/e...ND/3681186 (Alu, round about 70$)

I think the cheap plastic Case is the best choise? If anybody whants to use another case it´s ok, but for the PCB i must know it for the holes and contour of the pcb….
(2019-06-16, 09:32 AM)glowntiger Wrote: Hi Guys,
I had some Time during the Weekend. I have made a first Schema and PCB Design.

At the Moment on board are 1-Wire (DS2482-100) NMEA2000 (MCP2515 with MCP2562), 6x NMEA0183 (SC16IS752 with MAX3485) and 4x Optokoppler for 8-28V Input. On the Schema I have Consider the Moitessier hat.
Further I have add a I2C conn. for the In and output Boards.
Now I want to add the Powermanagement. My idea: 
I add a further Input. If you power this Input high (8-28V) the Pi starts. If you power the Input down, I switch an Input on the Pi to high, a script shuts the pi down. About a time delay (15s?) the power supply shut down. Now you can restart the System to switch to high.  Disadvantage: Between this 15s? you can not restart the Pi.
What do you think?

Further:
I have requestet some Cases. Alu and Plastic.

https://www.chinaenclosure.com/products/...AW-10.html (Alucase round about 40 USD)
https://www.chinaenclosure.com/products/...-wate.html (Plastccase round about 6USD)
Or something like this:
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/e...ND/3681186 (Alu, round about 70$)

I think the cheap plastic Case is the best choise? If anybody whants to use another case it´s ok, but for the PCB i must know it for the holes and contour of the pcb….

Nice, congratulations. What is lacking to Moitessier. To when?

(Bello, complimenti. Quello che manca al Moitessier.  A quando?)
MAXM22511 would be better than MAX3485
MAX14882 (MAX14878,79,80) ISO1050 would be better than MCP2562

Don't use any RTC! RTC does use i2c address 0x68 (It can't be changed)! MPU 9150 MPU 9250 and MPU 9255 also use 0x68 (with some effort you can change the address to 0x69 on the hardware side software ?)
Hi e-sailing,
at the moment i have removed the rtc I have a second pi on the boat witch can use the rtc and forward the time. But if only the adress is the probleme therere are some ic´s through wich you can "change" the adress before. But at the moment i not mount the rtc.
I know the MAXM22511. He is very expensiv. round about 7€ * 6 Ports Undecided . I use the MAX 3485 on severel other bords. I have also a TVS on it. For normal use I think this is o.k....?
The MCP2562 suffused the IEC61000-4-2. Why you meen the MAX14882 is better? But I´ts o.k. I can change this becouse the price do not differ...