This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Noob question: NMEA gps out to vhf marine radio?
Thanks for replying! I feel like I'm on the right track now.  The Standard Horizon vhf should be a slam-dunk if you're right about the RS-485/RS-422 protocol being the way to go.  

If I'm understanding correctly, because this radio only wants to accept gps sentences, and the wiring is only two strands, it must be half-duplex.  If that is the case, what do you think about this CH340T based dongle, at less than half the price.

https://www.amazon.com/JBtek-Converter-A...27KYJ19G33

We're not looking for speed in this application.  I think I'm going to give it a try.

If this works for the OP to vhf link,  I'm going to try it to link OP to an old Raymarine autohelm radio navigation interface next.  I'm much less certain of making that work, for lack of clarity on just what sentences to direct to it. (See my post from yesterday).

Which raises another question in my mind:  It looks like RS485 can connect a number of devices in parallel? Does that mean I could tap this same dongle in parallel to tie in that radio interface?  The autohelm interface is also receive only, and I believe it only responds to cross-track error sentences (dead-reckoning, not measured). So, it, too, should work in half-duplex.

So much to learn!
What do you think?  Thanks again for your help.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Noob question: NMEA gps out to vhf marine radio? - by skyeyedoc - 2019-05-25, 09:11 PM