This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Installation and Startup Procedure
In short, I haven't found one.

I have the tinypilot connected to the large motor controller. It is connected to the motor, a Octopus 2l 12v hydraulic pump. and to my homemade rudder position sensor.
  red -> 680 ohm -> 5k precision pot ->black with wiper connected to yellow, 0.1v when full starboard.

I did the gyro calibration, but did not lock the calibration.
I set the 'Boat is level"
I set the motor max current to 6 Amp.
I did the rudder calibration. But I cannot find a place to view the rudder position.

In standby mode, the small course correction buttons move the motor some.
  I get FAULT or SYNC or SATURATION errors.

Next I connected a tablet by WiFi to pypilot and went thru the calibrations again.
     still no rudder position.

Next I installed the pypilot_pi in opencpn on my laptop
    (my navigating opencpn runs on an Orange Pi PC2, AIS and GPS are wifi broadcast on ships wifi router)
And connected it to the pypilot's AP.
    The plugin is enabled but the preferences button remains grayed out. Is this correct?
I added rudder position to opencpn's dashboard.
    Nothing shows, always centered, even when I manually turn the rudder.
I clicked on the pypilot_pi config tab, and checked all 3 boxes under opencpn settings
I checked the signalk settings
    still no rudder position display
I attempted to manually config connections-> TCP-20220, bi-direction, sentences but no change, so removed it.

I must be missing something??

I almost forgot:
opencpn 5.0, pypilot_pi 0.9, latest image for tinypilot from pypilot.org

--
Larry
--
Larry - s/v Katie Lee Passport 45 Ketch (For Sale) - somewhere in Taiwan
I almost thought I found it, but no. The voltage was 0.4-1.25
So I added a 3.8k on the high side, so now the voltage is 0.09 - 0.78
now it is +5v -> 4.5k -> 5K pot -> GND

opencpn will move the rudder, but still no position indicator, always 0.
--
Larry - s/v Katie Lee Passport 45 Ketch (For Sale) - somewhere in Taiwan