This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raspberry Pi 4 released!
Pfeeeewww! My RPi 4 is finally up and running.  Cool

Of course I started with an SD card, but soon felt that driving such a machine from an SD card was like using a sports car whose engine had been replaced with ... a donkey !

So I managed to install everything on an SSD. Unfortunately, under the competition pressure, Raspberry org rushed for outputing the Pi4, and the EEPROM is not today compatible with an USB MSD's boot, therefore an SD card is stll required. I found a detailed tutorial on the matter here !
Don't worry about the paragraphs regarding compatibility of SSD to USB3.0 adapters, I used the cheapest USB3 to mSSD adapter box which worked all right !
Following all steps in the tutorial lead to sucess, and now my Buster boot from the SSD. (I even used the SD card copy to "image" the SSD, and found the system didn't even needed to be expanded !)

Once the whole Buster was up and running from the SSD on the Pi4, I carefully  followed the steps of MatsA's blog to install and setup Openplotter and all related applications !
And ...
WAAOOOWWW ! What a good job has been done here !
Everything installed like a breeze, and worked right out of the box !
Merci Braz, as Britons say (Great Thank You), to Sailoog and whole dev team !  Heart    Smile

I am now trying to incorporate the whole thing in a nice (?) project box to settle it on board...(1 or 2 weeks of delivery delay to get ordered items).
Cordialement
Didier B
Pi4, SSD USB3, OP 3.0 Touch SK 3.2.1 OpenCPN  5.8.4 :  Thank you  Thank you  Thank you

(2019-09-09, 08:03 PM)SV Venture Wrote: @Sailoog & @verkerkbr

Guys, thanks for the guidance about not upgrading to beta kernel.

@MatsA

Sorry about confusion. Indeed the killer blog and guidance is yours. Good job. Keep it up.

I succeeded in getting OP2 beta 7 loaded and working. My first-ever OP / OCPN load, and on a RPI4 no less.

Just having some issues with the _network module. I want to avoid polluting this thread with my network-related questions (off topic for this thread), so where's the best place for me to post / collaborate?

Thanks again for great community spirit guys Smile

Dave, SV Venture
Seattle

Do it here. We have not organized the bug reporting for OP2 yet.
Hum, guys, may be I missed a step, how do we connect a USB GPS  Huh
Cordialement
Didier B
Pi4, SSD USB3, OP 3.0 Touch SK 3.2.1 OpenCPN  5.8.4 :  Thank you  Thank you  Thank you

Serial settings in Kplex do not yet work here. But if you do the serial setting direct in OpenCPN then you have a working system.

Regards,

Bram
(2019-09-12, 10:28 AM)Didier B Wrote: Hum, guys, may be I missed a step, how do we connect a USB GPS  Huh

Hi ! Another way is SignalK. https://github.com/SignalK/signalk-serve...eal-inputs

Blog; https://pysselilivet.blogspot.com/
Or if sigK is working could you add an input type 0183, source serial?
(2019-09-12, 12:25 PM)MatsA Wrote:
(2019-09-12, 10:28 AM)Didier B Wrote: Hum, guys, may be I missed a step, how do we connect a USB GPS  Huh

Hi ! Another way is SignalK. https://github.com/SignalK/signalk-serve...eal-inputs
Hello dears,
I did that with some success, connection displayed and flashing on the SK's dashboard. However, the OC option connection tab is empty, and probably it shouldn't, isn't it ?

EDIT yes of course !, found the info in the Networpk Application, added a Network input, completed the form, and My gps is working in OpenCPN  Big Grin
Thanks for the help  Exclamation
Cordialement
Didier B

(2019-09-12, 12:26 PM)PaddyB Wrote: Or if sigK is working could you add an input type 0183, source serial?

This does not seem to work, says it cannot read property 'pipe' of undefined

Only way I have been able to get it to work is to add a serial connection within opencpn, would love to get this working in OP
(2019-09-12, 03:37 PM)rastam4n Wrote:
(2019-09-12, 12:26 PM)PaddyB Wrote: Or if sigK is working could you add an input type 0183, source serial?

Only way I have been able to get it to work is to add a serial connection withing opencpn, would love to get this working in OP

For me it worked nicely (my usb gps is an Ublox-8) : 
  • in SK : Added one connection, input type NMEA, Enabled Yes, Logging YES, serial port : /dev/ttyACM0, Baud rate : 9600, Validate checksum Yes, Apply, Restart ;
  • Then added in OpenCPN Options, tab Connection, Add Connection, network, input, TCP, Address : 10.10.10.1:10110, port 2927, priority 1, OK, and worked perfectly ... 
(beginner's luck, maybe ...)
Cordialement
Didier B

(2019-09-12, 03:56 PM)Didier B Wrote:
(2019-09-12, 03:37 PM)rastam4n Wrote:

Only way I have been able to get it to work is to add a serial connection withing opencpn, would love to get this working in OP

For me it worked nicely (my usb gps is an Ublox-8) : 
  • in SK : Added one connection, input type NMEA, Enabled Yes, Logging YES, serial port : /dev/ttyACM0, Baud rate : 9600, Validate checksum Yes, Apply, Restart ;
  • Then added in OpenCPN Options, tab Connection, Add Connection, network, input, TCP, Address : 10.10.10.1:10110, port 2927, priority 1, OK, and worked perfectly ... 
(beginner's luck, maybe ...)

well something is amiss... 10.10.10.1:10110 is basically saying "localhost"  port 10110 and then adding port 2927? shouldn't it be 2947?
also everything I have read says to use /dev/ttyUSB0  

Which instructions did you follow .... there is a lot of conflicting posts our there re Opencpn and openplotter and how to do this correctly.

also when you say NMEA do you mean 2000 or 0183?

I have it working but only through opencpn, and only via the serial connection, I read this is not correct and it should be done through SK... not sure why it matters... would be great to understand why

Attached Files Image(s)