This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raspberry Pi 4 released!
found this in amazon, but i wonder if its to short on this model?

https://www.amazon.com/Adafruit-GPIO-Hea...way&sr=8-3

If this works though what the length on standoff screws 10-12mm?
Hi Sailoog

So even it the HAT issue is solved, it seems we have to wait for changes in the OP 2 to use RPI4. According to the discussions we had, I understand the 1.2 version will not work with OP, correct? If we have to wait for the version 2, are we talking about months or few weeks? No pressure or hurry ;-), but PI4 will take some time to arrive in Brazil and it will be very expensive (2-3X international price), so if it is a matter of weeks I will take the chance of buying it in a trip to Europe on July. If months, no hurry for being it now!!!!!

Really excited about how far we can go with RPI4 and a new OP version!

Cheers,

Paulo
(2019-07-01, 12:08 AM)Cyric30 Wrote: found this in amazon, but i wonder if its to short on this model?

https://www.amazon.com/Adafruit-GPIO-Hea...way&sr=8-3

If this works though what the length on standoff screws 10-12mm?

Too short, but this one could work: https://www.amazon.com/Adafruit-GPIO-Sta...83QRRCEWS2

If it is a little too long, you could snip off a little of each pin.
--
Larry - s/v Katie Lee Passport 45 Ketch (For Sale) - somewhere in Taiwan
Grrrrrr, I can not found my header anywhere. I think it came with a protohat I bought long time ago. But they should exist somewhere.
Are you sure the shorter from adafruit will not work?
Just received my Raspberry Pi 4 and can confirm that the OpenCPN Bionic version works very well.

But you have to add the keys to Ubuntu yourselves.

Install synaptic packet manager. Add the OpenCPN server with Bionic. Then you get an error about a missing key.

This key can be added manual. If there is interest in this. I can give the procedure in more detail.

Important is that OpenCPN Bionic works in Buster. There is no longer the VC4 driver full.

But if you switch on OpenGL in OpenCPN and texture caching the screen movements are fast.

Bram
(2019-07-01, 03:16 AM)pgorab Wrote: Hi Sailoog

So even it the HAT issue is solved, it seems we have to wait for changes in the OP 2 to use RPI4. According to the discussions we had, I understand the 1.2 version will not work with OP, correct? If we have to wait for the version 2, are we talking about months or few weeks? No pressure or hurry ;-), but PI4  will take some time to arrive in Brazil and it will be very expensive (2-3X international price), so if it is a matter of weeks I will take the chance of buying it in a trip to Europe on July. If months, no hurry for being it now!!!!!

Really excited about how far we can go with RPI4 and a new OP version!

Cheers,

Paulo

Well, that is the million dollars question Smile

I would like to say weeks but lot of things have to be tested before. Today we have the first image/NOOBS of openplotter v2 under raspbian buster and everything seems to work right. There are some GUI issues and some dependencies but nothing serious.

We have updated to nodejs 10 (signal k, node-red...), fixed xygrib for buster, updated to opencpn bionic. We have to fix gqrx, create bionic versions of a lot of opencpn plugins, check access point is working ok for RPi4...

OpenPlotter v1.2 will not work on RPI4 because is based on Raspbian Stretch and RPI4 needs Raspbian Buster.
Just tried the Raspian Buster version to used for the RPI4 in a RPI 3B+. That also works in a RP3 without changing a setting.

No VC4 driver. But with OpenGL setting on in OpenCPN.

Bram
Tongue 
Well, my RPi4 arrived today... installed the full Raspbian Buster, followed the described procedure for OpenCPN on RPi4 here, and voila.
Up & running. Installed oeSENC plugins and Norwegian charts with license on USB dongle, everything worked.

And speed in OpenCPN really is a whole new level compared to 3B+ which really didn't make that much difference compared to my old RPi 2 setup.

One thing I didn't get earlier on was that they have moved the RJ45 to the other side, vs the USB's.. 

Regards, 
Arne :-)    
S/Y Tiarora
(2019-07-02, 08:54 PM)Arne Wrote: Well, my RPi4 arrived today... installed the full Raspbian Buster, followed the described procedure for OpenCPN on RPi4 here, and voila.
Up & running. Installed oeSENC plugins and Norwegian charts with license on USB dongle, everything worked.

And speed in OpenCPN really is a whole new level compared to 3B+ which really didn't make that much difference compared to my old RPi 2 setup.

One thing I didn't get earlier on was that they have moved the RJ45 to the other side, vs the USB's.. 

That's great info, thanks. Is Signal K working? 

Many thnaks!
Well, not here as I just installed the bare Raspbian OS and OpenCPN - still waiting out for an OpenPlotter version for RPi4.
Regards, 
Arne :-)    
S/Y Tiarora