This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raspberry Pi 4 released!
It is easy to get the Pi4 working as a navigation system. Install the original Raspian Buster on a fast SD card. Then install OpenCPN from the server via the ppa instructions.

The OpenPlotter version 1.2 based on Raspian Stretch does not work on a Pi 4. OpenPlotter 2.00 based on Raspian Buster is in the "works".

With the 4 GB version you certainly need some processor cooling. I like the Flirc case, this connects the alu casing to the processor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkLr08K0c1E

Bram
I am sure you will love the OpenCPN installer. Now keeping OpenCPN and plugins up to date is easier than ever.
As you can see many plugins do not have version for Buster/Bionic yet but we will help on this soon.

successfully ? installed on armbian buster orange pi zero Smile
(2019-08-12, 12:25 PM)jim321 Wrote: successfully ? installed on armbian buster orange pi zero Smile

Thanks for testing Jim!

We have focused on RPI but it should work on any Debian flavor like Ubuntu family, Mint...

If the app has the debian icon, it will work everywhere but if it has the raspberry icon, it will be only for RPI.
i have a gps signalk opencpn all installed working.
its the dingy computer so it does not need more than that.
and its headless so i have been using ssh -X to run opencpn from the command line and the webpage for signalk
Thumbs Up 
(2019-08-12, 01:13 PM)jim321 Wrote: i have a gps signalk opencpn all installed working.
and its headless so i have been using ssh -X to run opencpn from the command line and the webpage for signalk

First tried to install the items on my RPI4 with Buster allready installed. That did not work very well. 

Then I took the installed OpenPlotter version compiled by Pinguino (see before), and installed the required items. 

Added the openplotter items as appearing in the Synoptic packet manager.

I can report that all the OpenPlotter seems to work very well including SignalK.

Tomorrow I will try this on board in combination with my AIS transponder.

Thanks for all the work that has been done to make OpenPlotter a great navigation tool.

Regards,

Bram
(2019-08-12, 05:01 PM)verkerkbr Wrote: First tried to install the items on my RPI4 with Buster allready installed. That did not work very well. 

Can you give details?

Now dealing with the administrative permissions. Some apps need make some tasks as root user and we are using the dangerous sudo. This is not a problem on Raspberry because we are used to use sudo in code but this is not acceptable for ubuntu, debian... So we will need to include some prompt for password every time OP needs to do something as root. Not nice but I do not want to hear the purists exclaming "sudo? OMG!" Smile
"Now dealing with the administrative permissions"

running from ssh -X if i use the update data tab in openplotter-settings it asks for a password in the terminal before it receives the data.
no one would see that unless running it from a terminal..so i see what you mean.

-------------------
work around
open terminal run "openplotter-settings"
press Add sources, "this works for update data also"..
look at the terminal it it will ask for password.
enter password
and bob's your uncle
(2019-08-12, 05:01 PM)verkerkbr Wrote:
(2019-08-12, 01:13 PM)jim321 Wrote: i have a gps signalk opencpn all installed working.

First tried to install the items on my RPI4 with Buster allready installed. That did not work very well. 

Then I took the installed OpenPlotter version compiled by Pinguino (see before), and installed the required items. 

I can report that all the OpenPlotter seems to work very well including SignalK.

Thanks for all the work that has been done to make OpenPlotter a great navigation tool.

Regards,

Bram

Did some further trials on my RPI3B+ with the Oesenc charts in combination with the usb dongle.  This also works perfect.

Tomorrow I will do some trials in combination with my Navico transponder. Not yet seen Ais in combination with an DSR dongle. Although it is possible to set the parameters right.

Trials with RPI4 will be done later. 

If I switch the working RPI3B+ SD to the RPI4, the system locks-up at splash screen which look other then the Pi3. A blue screen with the annoucement OpenPlotter v2 Powered by Gitbook. A screen I don't see with the RPI3 start. Although sometimes it flashes by on the Pi3.

Regards,

Bram
(2019-08-12, 08:46 PM)verkerkbr Wrote:
(2019-08-12, 05:01 PM)verkerkbr Wrote:

Regards,

Bram

Did some further trials on my RPI3B+ with the Oesenc charts in combination with the usb dongle.  This also works perfect.

Tomorrow I will do some trials in combination with my Navico transponder. Not yet seen Ais in combination with an DSR dongle. Although it is possible to set the parameters right.

Trials with RPI4 will be done later. 

If I switch the working RPI3B+ SD to the RPI4, the system locks-up at splash screen which look other then the Pi3. A blue screen with the annoucement OpenPlotter v2 Powered by Gitbook. A screen I don't see with the RPI3 start. Although sometimes it flashes by on the Pi3.

Regards,

Bram

The problem seems to be changing the SD between the Pi4 and Pi3. If the OP 2.00 beta has been used in a Pi3 then  with the closing down the Pi3, something is changed and then the Pi4 the booting proces locks up.

I will do another trial only using the software in a PI4.

Taking the PI4 SD and put it in Pi3 it works very wel. But not the other way around from 3 to 4.

Bram