This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raspberry Pi 4 released!
(2019-12-13, 10:35 PM)NahanniV Wrote:
(2019-12-13, 10:13 PM)verkerkbr Wrote: Just received the new Argon case with two pillars to be connected to the processors. Nice case. Works very well shutting down via the button also switches off the power.

Installed the SignalK temperature in MX Tommy Kip. The processor temp is hovering around 40o C, Is about 5o C better then the Flirc Case, also alu with a cooling pillar.

Fixed mounting is even as the Flirc case not so easy. With the Flirc case I have done this. See image.

Bram

Is the fan running in the Argon case to get the temp to 40Deg.C ?
Hardly a fair comparison since the FLIRC has no fan.

I wish someone would create a case like the Argon, with all the connectors on the bottom, but drip-proof and easily wall mountable. And including a barometric sensor, IMU, screw terminals for I/O (1-Wire, Serial, ...).

No, the fan is not running. Starts running at 60o C with a power of 10%.

Can be adjusted by the user with the software, which is easy to install.

Regards,

Bram
Hi everyone.  Thinking of taking the plunge with an RP 4 and openplotter.  I have a few months to tinker, learn, and get everything working before my sailing season begins (and I know that OP support for the RP 4 is evolving).  I'm thinking that when it all shakes out, this is how I will run:

Openplotter headless, expect to have one or two wifi remote connections from phone or tablet at any one time
AIS via a USB dongle
GPS via USB dongle
pypilot via Sean's motor controller to my ST4000 wheel pilot, maybe with the Nokia display and IR remote control

The immediate decision I need to make is what RP 4 to get.  I'm a cheapskate.  Do I really need the 4 GB version, or is the 1 GB fine for headless use?  Any thoughts?
Take the 2 GB. Works very well. I don't need more memory. But 1 GB is just like the RPI3b+.

What need is a good ;powersupply and some cooling of the processor.

Bram
(2019-12-18, 09:03 PM)verkerkbr Wrote: Take the 2 GB. Works very well. I don't need more memory. But 1 GB is just like the RPI3b+.

What need is a good ;powersupply and some cooling of the processor.

Bram

Thanks for the tip.  I picked up a 2 gb last night, along with the "official" AC USB-C power supply.  I'll figure out 12 V power when the time comes.  Let the learning begin.
So I have the V2.0 pre-release NOOBS running on my RPI4 and I have the headless wifi connection to 10.10.10.1 via VNCViewer on android and win.  (I can't get bVNC to work, but I'll ask about that separately.)  So far, so good.  I looked at this part of the documentation  https://docs.sailoog.com/openplotter-v1-x-x/network.  In normal use, I think that I would probably want to be connected to openpotter for headless viewing via my android phone AND provide internet access to openplotter via the phone at the same time, preferably all cordless.  What would be the best way to do this and how do I set it up?  I'm thinking use the wifi and VNC to view, and can I use bluetooth tethering for internet?  The only choices I see in the Network settings are "on board" (currently selected) and "AP and Station".

Attached Files Image(s)