This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Connect to harbour wifi with ubiquiti bullet m5
Hi,

I run op on a rp 3b+. The raspi sets up a boat wifi through which I have all information on several android devicec. Works fine.

In the test setup at home I simple have put a Lan-cable from my routrr into the ethernet port andhsd acsess to the imternet.

Now on the boat I have a ubiquiti bullet m5. That device acts like a router and makrs a wireless connection to any harbour wifi available. Than it has a patch cable to connect to a device on board.

I manage to make the bullet connect to harbour wifi.
But I'm totally lost is the settings to make the bullet work raspberry pi.
Router modus? Bridge? Router? Ap?
Dhcp?
Is the raspberry the client (think so)?
So raspi is Ap + ether1 bridgeted? Or just ap and internet connection on ethernet1?

I'm totally confused....
_____
OP on Raspberry Pi 3+
OpenCPN tactics plugin compiled on raspbian
Step up/step down power converter
AIS and GPS over USB / Serial2USB
Speed data converted directly from Sensor to NMEA by arduino
Wind data: Davis anemometer using Pypilots weather sensor
Pypilot driving Simrad TP22 Tillerpilot

(2019-07-01, 05:34 PM)michael.trilling@gmail.com Wrote: Hi,

I run op on a rp 3b+. The raspi sets up a boat wifi through which I have all information on several android devicec. Works fine.

In the test setup at home I simple have put a Lan-cable from my routrr into the ethernet port andhsd acsess to the imternet.

Now on the boat I have a ubiquiti bullet m5. That device acts like a router and makrs a wireless connection to any harbour wifi available. Than it has a patch cable to connect to a device on board.

Dhcp?
So raspi is Ap + ether1 bridgeted? Or just ap and internet connection on ethernet1?

I'm totally confused....

The attached document is a bit dated but it helped me set up my M2 and contains a lot of good information.

Did you check out the OP documentation on network connections?

https://docs.sailoog.com/openplotter-v1-x-x/network

Attached Files
.pdf   Bullet HP Setup.pdf (Size: 1.74 MB / Downloads: 351)
We should really consider alternate network management because "networkmanager" is terrible for long range use.

This is because it will reconnect when the signal is lost for a few seconds. It needs to automatically reassociate but not do a dhcp handshake again. network manager also won't change the baud rate, or tx power. With a directional antenna I can get a connection with only 20dbm tx power, but with an omni antenna I need 24-26 to get the same connection.

I also need it to automatically aim the antenna when the boat turns at anchor.

So far I am using scripts to do most of this, but I manually have to run a script to connect to wifi. It is sometimes needed to hack the driver to get higher tx power, or to ignore what the access point limits the tx power.

Maybe we should fork network manager and adapt it for what is needed for long range wifi connections from boats?
(2019-07-03, 12:26 AM)seandepagnier Wrote: We should really consider alternate network management because "networkmanager" is terrible for long range use.

So far I am using scripts to do most of this, but I manually have to run a script to connect to wifi.   It is sometimes needed to hack the driver to get higher tx power, or to ignore what the access point limits the tx power. 

Which network tools do you use in your scripts?

At first Armbian used wicd but then switched to NetworkManager.
--
Larry - s/v Katie Lee Passport 45 Ketch (For Sale) - somewhere in Taiwan
I use a bash script of about 10 lines which starts wpa_supplicant, invokes ifconfig and iwconfig to change settings and dhclient. It could be greatly improved especially if controlling a direction antenna from a servo motor.

If I connect using this script, it still shares internet to any devices connected to openplotter from the onboard wifi in ap mode.
(2019-07-02, 11:54 PM)Opie91 Wrote:

Dhcp?

I'm totally confused....

The attached document is a bit dated but it helped me set up my M2 and contains a lot of good information.

Hi Opi,

that pdf looks promising. Thank you very much.

What I still do not know, is how op behaves. I assume if I tell OP to be the AP on the local network and to have the eth0 to be the sharing internet connection, than it will ask the bullet/router to assign the needed ip-adresses and will automatically have the gateway adress.
So step 1 of the pdf is than ok.  ?????

Will give the rest a try in the afternoon. Will report.
_____
OP on Raspberry Pi 3+
OpenCPN tactics plugin compiled on raspbian
Step up/step down power converter
AIS and GPS over USB / Serial2USB
Speed data converted directly from Sensor to NMEA by arduino
Wind data: Davis anemometer using Pypilots weather sensor
Pypilot driving Simrad TP22 Tillerpilot

After doing a few Bullets in marinas, I find that setting them up in router mode, and as a DHCP provider, is the most reliable way of doing it. Then anything from the Bullet into rest of the network on the boat is on the same subnet. If you are using a secondary WiFi router, just don't use the router port so everything is bridging. Turn off DHCP on the secondary router, and make sure that secondary router address is set for the same subnet (for example, 192.168.1.xxx) address as the rest of your boat's network.

I hope that made sense!
(2019-07-03, 12:51 PM)michael.trilling@gmail.com Wrote:
(2019-07-02, 11:54 PM)Opie91 Wrote:

Dhcp?

I'm totally confused....

Hi Opi,

that pdf looks promising. Thank you very much.

What I still do not know, is how op behaves. I assume if I tell OP to be the AP on the local network and to have the eth0 to be the sharing internet connection, than it will ask the bullet/router to assign the needed ip-adresses and will automatically have the gateway adress.
So step 1 of the pdf is than ok.  ?????

Will give the rest a try in the afternoon. Will report.

Cannot answer what OP will do. I installed a 12 volt wireless router on my boat and just hooked the bullet to it and let the router assign ip addresses.

Next time I am at the boat ill take a screen shot of my bullet settings and post it.