This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
automatically selecting autopilot gains
From experience I think you should instead adjust P, D, and DD rather than I. Another idea is to use an overall gain and the value that equals D/P. Capturing the gains this way gives better extrapolated values for gains in new conditions, and allows transferring the table to other similar vessels better.

Eventually DD/D might be considered as well.

The limitation is still the control loop which is not optimal no matter how it is tuned since steering in waves with sail power is a non-linear problem and the basic autopilot is simple.

I think you will find a wide range of P, D values which are acceptable making it sometimes difficult to find the right gain. They can widely vary with similar steering in some cases, so by the time you determine which is best, the conditions are already changing.

Messages In This Thread
RE: automatically selecting autopilot gains - by seandepagnier - 2019-07-16, 04:53 AM