This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tack settings
(2019-08-09, 07:31 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: Why exactly do you need to change 20 degree every 9 minutes?

You could make a route in opencpn to follow.   Or if you really care about time and not actual position, you could write a script that connects to pypilot and performs this.

actually its 20 degrees every minute for 9 minutes... gives me 180 deg turn (U turn)

Why? - because unlike most of the people here.. I am using pypilot on a fishing boat, we slowly troll with multiple lines out 50 to 100' behind us. So when I need to make a turn I have to change coarse slowly over time, any more then 20degs and lines get crossed. After a minute I can adjust course again as the lines have aligned with the boat again.

I could make a route using opencpn but that would be quite tedious each time I want to change direction and frankly opencpn on OP is hit or miss as far as reliability is concerned. Adding pypilot into that mix is a recipe for frustration and I certainly don't want that while I'm fishing... all I want is to turn around plotting a course seems a bit overkill

If I knew how to write a script I would do that exact thing, I would add buttons to the pypilot web app with 4 options, 1 Uturn to port, 1 90deg turn to port and the same for starboard. I would have a config file that would allow me to adjust the time between heading adjustments and how many degrees to adjust so that each user could make it work  according to their needs... but I don't "yet" know how, once it gets cold here and I can no longer go out fishing I might find the time to learn...

I've seen some requests for avoidance buttons.... this could be used to do that exact thing if it was made to be flexible enough.

what do you think?
A dodge feature might work for you, if it has a setting for how fast to turn and how many degrees.

Otherwise, maybe the tack function can work since it has these settings.

It would be great to have your own script or maybe even a plugin for pypilot to support your specific fishing functions.