This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Errors on large motor controller with tinypilot
Hi there,

I'm trying to get sean's large motor controller working with tinypilot. Got everything connected and wired up at last.

When I try to move the rudder manually with the arrows on the web interface (autopilot not engaged) I get a brief (but fast) motor movement and then FWD_FAULT OVER_CURRENT or FWD_FAULT SATURATED, same in the other direction but with REV_FAULT.

I tried reducing both slew_ settings to 3.0 and increased MAX_CURRENT to 19.7. Since the motor controller has a 20 amp fuse I didn't want to go beyond that.

It doesn't seem to help. Do the manual rudder control buttons on the web interface actually respect those settings?

I'm moored alongside so I tested autopilot mode just by setting the course slightly off my heading to watch it adjusting the rudder. It seemed to work reasonably well, kept tweaking the rudder a small amount in the same direction. It didn't immediately have the same error as above but when I adjusted the course some more and it tried to move the rudder faster, then it got the same error.

I'm using a Navico hydraulic pump, 12v. Even with slew at 3 it's moving plenty fast enough.

Any ideas for which other setting I should adjust? As these settings don't seem to be accessible in the web interface I've been going in by ssh and adjusting pypilot.conf with nano editor, saving them, running "filetool.sh -b" and then "sudo killall python" which seems to restart the pilot and hopefully make it reload the config. I also tried a full reboot after editing the config and confirmed that the changes persist. Am I doing this the right way?

One more thought.... When the motor hit the limit of the hydraulic ram it kept on running (see my separate rudder calibration thread). I'm pretty surprised that it didn't immediately get an OVER_CURRENT error when it hit the stops, yet it gets those errors in normal movements!

Thanks!
Chris

Messages In This Thread
Errors on large motor controller with tinypilot - by syohana - 2019-07-20, 09:59 PM