This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Errors on large motor controller with tinypilot
(2019-07-20, 09:59 PM)syohana Wrote: Hi there,

I'm trying to get sean's large motor controller working with tinypilot. Got everything connected and wired up at last.

When I try to move the rudder manually with the arrows on the web interface (autopilot not engaged) I get a brief (but fast) motor movement and then FWD_FAULT OVER_CURRENT or FWD_FAULT SATURATED, same in the other direction but with REV_FAULT.

Some of these flags maybe should be renamed but for now:

SATURATED -- really a warning rather than error, that the motor is being commanded harder than it is moving. This is normal in manual mode, if the autopilot is engaged it indicates that a faster motor would give better steering performance.
DRIVER_TIMEOUT -- is supposed to indicate the wiring from the controller to the motor is disconnected
FWD/REV_FAULT -- a real error indicating that the current limit has been reached and no more movement in that direction until it moves the other way

So, if you are seeing OVER_CURRENT in normal operation, you can:
1) reduce max_slew_speed. Are you sure you changed the max slew speed to 3, or the max slew slow? There are two settings, one for speed up and the other slow down.
2) increase max current. It is fairly normal to have twice the running current the first 100 milliseconds or so when moving. Reducing the slew speed should reduce this spike but you might need to account for this. The fuse is 20 amps, but it takes forever to blow at exactly 20 amps. You can make the max current 30 amps if needed. You can also use a 30 amp fuse. Maybe in the future I can have a lower current limit for average 20 seconds, for now it reacts in 50 milliseconds.
3) If the motor is fast enough, you can reduce the maximum speed by decreasing servo.max_speed to something less than 1.0. This will reduce power and noise but limit the speed of rudder travel.
4) If the motor draws less current stalled than first starting no matter what you change, this is unfortunate and not like most motors, but for larger motors and pumps it's a good idea anyway to use rudder feedback to limit the travel rather than relying on motor stalling.

I think you must have the old (broken) version of the plugin if you can't change the settings. It should be possible to change them through the web browser interface or the menu.

Also compile pypilot plugin from github, or if windows maybe this helps?
https://ci.appveyor.com/api/buildjobs/v3...-win32.exe

If you have a linux and can install pypilot on it, you will get the scripts for calibration, client and scope. The scope is especially useful to viewing the servo.current and understanding why OVERCURRENT is triggered.

You don't need to use filetool.sh -b after changing pypilot.conf. In fact you can do this:

sudo sv d pypilot
nano ~/.pypilot/pypilot.conf
sudo sv u pypilot

To avoid rebooting this should be much faster.
Quote:I tried reducing both slew_ settings to 3.0 and increased MAX_CURRENT to 19.7. Since the motor controller has a 20 amp fuse I didn't want to go beyond that.

It doesn't seem to help. Do the manual rudder control buttons on the web interface actually respect those settings?
It should.

I hope this helps.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Errors on large motor controller with tinypilot - by seandepagnier - 2019-07-21, 04:35 PM