This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tack functionality does not work for me
There are various parameters for tacking I came up with.
1) tack.delay -- seconds wait after tack command before actually tacking
2) tack.angle -- degrees to tack
3) tack.rate -- ideal turn speed of boat in deg/s (this may be a stupid idea)
4) tack.threshold -- at what point during tacking to switch back to the autopilot holding the new course. So if set to 50 out 100, tacking would end when the boat is pointed directly into the wind, and the tack would be completed under the normal autopilot with the new heading command. If too high, will overshoot, if too low will undershoot tacking (in theory)

This is by no means the optimal tacking algorithm. The problem is depending on the sea state, wind, current sails and more, tacking strategy could be completely different. It may be impossible to tack without back winding a sail, or just impossible to tack and the boat must jibe. So optimal tacking strategy is not obvious and this is unlikely to be it.. feel free to try others

Messages In This Thread
RE: Tack functionality does not work for me - by seandepagnier - 2021-04-14, 03:41 PM