This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PyPilot plugin - config seems broken
Sorry some changes to ui layout. The "Configuration" window only applies to the plugin and local settings now, where the pypilot settings and calibration can be accessed from "Calibration"
(2019-10-21, 02:36 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: Sorry some changes to ui layout.   The "Configuration" window only applies to the plugin and local settings now, where the pypilot settings and calibration can be accessed from "Calibration"

Oh I overlooked that, but the result is pretty cool actually! Now we can really play with those parameters and immediately see their effect.

Not bombarding you (yet) with the question to explain all those settable parameters at once, here are two small ones:
  • Servo.max_speed is easy to figure out, but what's the effect of setting servo.min_speed? 
  • Can you make servo.current update automatically, so we can see the current current draw. This makes it easy to optimise servo.max_current.

Thx,

-
(2019-10-21, 06:47 PM)ironman Wrote: Not bombarding you (yet) with the question to explain all those settable parameters at once, here are two small ones:
  • Servo.max_speed is easy to figure out, but what's the effect of setting servo.min_speed? 
max_speed limits the motor speed. Usually you don't want to do this, but if you had a 12 volt motor and powered the controller from 24 volts, setting this value to 50% will prevent running the motor too fast.

min_speed specifies the minimum speed the motor can run. If set to 100%, then the motor will run at full speed in bursts for typically the servo.period duration. If this value is set lower, then the motor will run at this slower speed unless it needs to move faster.

Most drive units, especially ones with a lot of friction are not very efficient at slow speeds. It's better to move at full speed then stop.
Quote:
  • Can you make servo.current update automatically, so we can see the current current draw. This makes it easy to optimise servo.max_current.

-

• Great idea. For now you can use the scope (separate python script "signalk_scope_wx") to plot the servo.current.
    Thx for this. Very interesting the scope - to see all gains react to IMU movement.

Few things on the UI changes of the PyPilot_pi:
    • "Connected to " does not show data anymore
    • Forward and Reverse overlap with the servo flags
    • What are 'none' and 0.0 in the plugin screen?
    • Calibration / alignment doesn not show picth and roll anymore, and the Level button does not react. In the web ui it does work, though.
    • The settings screen is empty; although the SignalK Client is functional so there I can change my max_current. 
    Please see attached screendumps. I compiled the plugin on Linux / Raspberry Pi 4, against OpenCPN 5.

Thx,

Attached Files Image(s)

If the settings screen is empty then, you are using an older pypilot with newer plugin.

The plugin screen shows rudder angle as none or 0.0

I will check the other problems tomorrow.
    (2019-10-25, 11:44 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: If the settings screen is empty then, you are using an older pypilot with newer plugin.

The plugin screen shows rudder angle as none or 0.0

I will check the other problems tomorrow.

I upgraded the pypilot and I now have 'Connected to', Alignment calibration working and a Settings screen working! So that was it.

It looks nifty Sean, getting better all the time! Thanks for all the work.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=596]

Attached Files Image(s)