This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Dashboard, instrumentation
I'm not so sure this is a feature request so much as a topic of discussion that could evolve into a feature request.
There are many vendors, and open source projects, surrounding display of realtime business measures in dazzling, easily modifiable dashboards. 
Here are a couple of open source ones: 
http://shopify.github.io/dashing/
https://github.com/Freeboard/freeboard   (not to be confused with Robert Huitema's groundbreaking Freeboard marine instrument project)
If we could get NEMA 0183 or SignalK data data into these sorts of dashboards, we could empower users to mash up some pretty cool screens. 
The tailorability of this is sort of what Teppo Kurki seems to have in mind with his SignalK instrument panel. But he seems to be extremely busy and is not getting a lot of contributors to those projects. I suppose what I am saying is could we get there quickly by mixing and matching existing projects? 
I agree, OP needs some cool dashboard to be complete. Now we can do a lot of thinks with data (actions, broadcasting...) but we need that sexy gauges.

I do not have time to work on it (too much tasks...) so we need a person/team with these skills:

- Javascript
- Web sockets

It would be great to work over signalK instrument panel and extend its features and gauges styles.
(2016-03-17, 08:54 PM)Sailoog Wrote: I agree, OP needs some cool dashboard to be complete. Now we can do a lot of thinks with data (actions, broadcasting...) but we need that sexy gauges.

I do not have time to work on it (too much tasks...) so we need a person/team with these skills:

- Javascript
- Web sockets

It would be great to work over signalK instrument panel and extend its features and gauges styles.

I have been using ADO instruments from the play store. These are really great looking and functional
maybe its a good idee to use Node-red 

node-red is standaard installed on raspberry jessie image
and now from version 0.14 a dashboard webinterface with many functions also mqtt
and easy to use , and you can import en export your flows for backup or share your dashboard.

http://nodered.org/

https://github.com/node-red/node-red-dashboard

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/...XGNEgLq0dQ

[Image: RHZA-Dashboard.png]

[Image: Node-Red-UI.png]
Looks like this would be an excellent choice.
I would also like to support the idea of using Node-Red for an OpenPlotter UI/Dashboard.

I started fiddling just yesterday with it at home and have already an up and running dashboard for a simple Temp/Humidity sensor running on an RPi without OpenPlotter. It was fairly easy to setup once I looked around for examples and installed the necessary node.js extensions to node-red. Below is the running dashboard and the node-red flow behind it - it is so simple!

[Image: jSsW2vA.png]  [Image: zwgdau.jpg]

Doing a few searches on what we might need to support most of the features of OP, I have found that the fundamentals are already covered to some extent even without resorting to MQTT.

Someone has already done some work on parsing SignalK and handling it in Node-Red http://flows.nodered.org/flow/97b27fd31dc142459fdf so we can adapt that to generate Dashboard UI elements  directly from the SignalK stream of OP.

Someone else has already done some work on interactive maps where node-red can overlay info on positions in the map (e.g. vessel position, AIS positions, GRIB overlays) His example actually shows an AIS display!! http://flows.nodered.org/node/node-red-c...b-worldmap

There is also support for UI Elements including compass, circular gauges, sliders etc. while there is also the option to include other HTML templates that use the data fed into node-red (e.g. wind instruments)

One thing I'm still trying to come up with an idea on, is how to automatically generate Node-Red flows and Dashboard UI elements from the SignalK stream as well as how to use the info stored in Triggers/Actions of OP to create equivalent flows in Node-Red without having to do them by hand. However, everyone will have their own needs and equipment (sensors/actuators etc) so I'm still trying to come up with a way to do this in a customizable way
What sort of CPU drain is there when code red is running?
For example, the pressure graph in open plotter just about kills a Rpi3. I have even deleted the option on open plotter otherwise kplex misses data.
(2016-09-15, 01:55 PM)Tacmed Wrote: What sort of CPU drain is there when code red is running?
For example, the pressure graph in open plotter just about kills a Rpi3. I have even deleted the option on open plotter otherwise kplex misses data.

I haven't tested it on an RPi running OP yet. The test is on RPi2 running OSMC+BitTorrent Sync. However, since you don't have to display the graphs on the RPi itself  (any browser can access the dashboard, so the RPi could be running headless) and you can control how often to update the graph I don't see how it could affect the CPU performance. I have set it to update once a minute for this kind of data, For, say, instrumentation purposes (SOA, COG, True wind speed/dir etc.) I would set the update at once/sec.

I will install Node-Red on my 0.8.0 OP RPi3 to test in the weekend and let you know (possibly by means of a node-red CPU load graph Smile )
(2016-09-15, 02:06 PM)atsakir Wrote:
(2016-09-15, 01:55 PM)Tacmed Wrote: What sort of CPU drain is there when code red is running?

I haven't tested it on an RPi running OP yet. The test is on RPi2 running OSMC+BitTorrent Sync. However, since you don't have to display the graphs on the RPi itself  (any browser can access the dashboard, so the RPi could be running headless) and you can control how often to update the graph I don't see how it could affect the CPU performance. I have set it to update once a minute for this kind of data, For, say, instrumentation purposes (SOA, COG, True wind speed/dir etc.) I would set the update at once/sec.

I will install Node-Red on my 0.8.0 OP  RPi3 to test in the weekend and let you know (possibly by means of a node-red CPU load graph Smile )

Below is the CPU and MEM loads on the RPi2 running OSMC + Node-Red. (I have killed the BTSync service because it is very resource heavy, hence the dropping CPU load, BTSync was running before, skewing the graph). As you can see it is not very heavy on resources (and I did promise a node-red graph of it Wink ) .

[Image: a847k.jpg] [Image: 10de6tz.jpg]
Excellent. Thank you. Maybe this is a better option to display the barometric pressure. The one in open plotter sends usage up to 80%