This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SOLVED] Wifi AP drops out
:-)

Funny - since I swapped wifi0 and wifi1 backwards again, the connection is stable upon now. Streamed films, did speddtests and so on. I have no explaination for that. But believe me, it is the same setting as before. The thing, that seems to have cured the fault was swaping the wifi forth and back again...

I will observe the Pi and report.

best regards,

Martin

(2016-03-30, 10:28 PM)Alpenskipper Wrote: :-)

Funny - since I swapped wifi0 and wifi1 backwards again, the connection is stable upon now. Streamed films, did speddtests and so on. I have no explaination for that. But believe me, it is the same setting as before. The thing, that seems to have cured the fault was swaping the wifi forth and back again...

I will observe the Pi and report.

best regards,

Martin

Bad news - The AP is gone again. It happened, when I used my iPad Air2 with iOS9.3.
The test obove, where the hotspot sharing was running fine, was done with a notebook with Windows7 and a iPhone6s with iOS9.3.

Two things I don't understand:
1. How can a client device kill the AP, just by using it?
2. Why doesn't the iPhone show the same behavior as the iPad. They use the same Software and the Hardware is very close together.

Martin
Yes, strange behaviour. I insist on trying to power the dongle externally. In the past I have only experimented AP drop out because powering issues. Maybe iPad is more resources demanding? I don't know...
(2016-04-03, 12:00 PM)Sailoog Wrote: Yes, strange behaviour. I insist on trying to power the dongle externally. In the past I have only experimented AP drop out because powering issues. Maybe iPad is more resources demanding? I don't know...

Next try...

External power to the WLAN dongle makes no difference. 

But I can reproduce the AP loss:

When I use the WLAN bridge side by side to the Pi, all is running fine. With all devices. I can even stream HD films on three decices at once. All seems to be stable.
The AP from wlan0 of the Pi3 (the internal) disappears, as soon as the connection is cut due to a weak signal (10m distance through two walls). The AP does not not come back, even when I go back side by side to the Pi.
After a restart, the AP is back again. I can reproduce this behavior.

When the AP has gone, I still can VNC the Pi when I connect to the home network side with the help of the WLAN dongle wlan1. It seems to be a specific problem with the AP (wifi0).

Can s.o. with a Pi3 try, whether my findings are reproducible?

The next try I do with two USB dongles, negotiating the internal wlan0.

Martin
Tested with two wifi dongles now. Without the internal wifi.

Same thing. The AP crashes after some time. Can take several hours until the crash.

I tested three Pi3s and new Openplotter 0.8b images. A friend of mine has the same findings.
The client mode is stable.
(2016-04-04, 10:23 PM)Alpenskipper Wrote: When I use the WLAN bridge side by side to the Pi, all is running fine. With all devices. I can even stream HD films on three decices at once. All seems to be stable.
The AP from wlan0 of the Pi3 (the internal) disappears, as soon as the connection is cut due to a weak signal (10m distance through two walls). The AP does not not come back, even when I go back side by side to the Pi...

This could be the key.
This happens with the 2 wifi dongles too? AP killing happens also when you stay close to OP or only when you move?
Yes, it happens with the internal wifi and with a dongle as AP.

Yes, when close to Pi, the AP is stable.
When there is more distance to the AP and the signals get week (dropouts?), the AP goes down and comes back with a reboot.

Martin
Ok let me try to reproduce this error. Now I am rewriting and improving the wifi AP part.
Thanks for reporting, I think this last clue about distance is the key of this issue.
@sailoog: I just saw, you worked on the wifi settings. I am testing...
I haven't been able to reproduce this error yet Sad
AP is always up when devices are out of range even in the microwave Smile

Try to play with the new custom parameters Channel, Mode and WPA.
Hi Sailoog!

Good news, since you reworked the AP tab, it seems, that the AP runs stable. I can't say, what was the fault in the past. I used the old image, only updated openplotter. I do further testing - in the moment it looks good.

Thanks,

Martin