This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
nmea output not working on usb-serial
Thanks for the replies everyone, especially Sean.

More details of the Atlantic crossing:

Your welcome to refer to it in promoting pypilot.

I did monitor power consumption but just reflashed the new tinypilot image on yesterday and the statistics data seem to have been lost, sorry.

I was particularly impressed that we were able to steer by the wind, directly downwind in light winds. This using a cheap NASA NMEA wind instrument. The wind data was coming in via instruments which have their own layer of smoothing before it reaches the pilot.

Will post photos once I have reinstalled the pilot, it's out for update at the moment and I'm having a few issues, will post a separate topic.

I'll wait for Tahiti before tattoos, we are en route back to NZ so plenty more testing coming up!

All this was with the default gains because they are confusing and I didn't dare mess with them. Clear, meaningful badges for each setting and step by step instructions for how to adjust them would be very welcome.

More later...
(2020-01-06, 07:48 PM)syohana Wrote: Thanks for the replies everyone, especially Sean.

More details of the Atlantic crossing:

Your welcome to refer to it in promoting pypilot.

I did monitor power consumption but just reflashed the new tinypilot image on yesterday and the statistics data seem to have been lost, sorry.
It's too bad. Do you remember anything? What was a typical consumption in watts?
Quote:I was particularly impressed that we were able to steer by the wind, directly downwind in light winds. This using a cheap NASA NMEA wind instrument. The wind data was coming in via instruments which have their own layer of smoothing before it reaches the pilot.
The pilot also filters incoming wind. Maybe this could be adjusted depending on how you want to follow wind gusts and also how the boat handles in the sea state.
Quote:Will post photos once I have reinstalled the pilot, it's out for update at the moment and I'm having a few issues, will post a separate topic.

I'll wait for Tahiti before tattoos, we are en route back to NZ so plenty more testing coming up!

All this was with the default gains because they are confusing and I didn't dare mess with them. Clear, meaningful badges for each setting and step by step instructions for how to adjust them would be very welcome.

http://pypilot.org/wiki/doku.php?id=tuning_gains
Oh that new documentation of the gains will be very useful! But why do they have such unhelpful labels in the UI? Why not label it "feed forward" in the UI instead of "FF". Plus have a tooltip with the full expansion of what "feed forward" means?
It's a good idea, but the user interface does not know anything about specific gains which vary for each pilot.

The gains are automatically enumerated in the ui, so it would also have to enumerate the description which would increase the data transferred etc... I'm not opposed to making the ui more descriptive but it needs to be in a way that doesn't require maintaining this for each control interface.