This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Emulating wind mode
I'm trying to emulate wind mode in the lab by feeding dummy NMEA MWV messages into tinypilot:

while [ 1==1 ]; do echo '$WIMWV,117,R,7.1,N,A*3C' | netcat -N -C 192.168.178.38 20220; sleep 0.1; done

Something works: I can see wind appear in the plugin dropdown box, but it is blinking: one moment it shows both compass and wind, the other moment it only shows compass. Also, the tack direction is flicking irregularly between port and starboard. In the http interface of tinypilot, when I choose wind, it flicks back to compass. I've tried different frequencies.

I'd like to get as much grip on the exact working of the wind mode in the lab, before running it on the boat. Why would pypilot not recognize the steady stream of wind messages?

Thx!
..trying to emulate wind mode:

Did same on my equipment.  Got basicly the same result.
Executed script on OPlotter which is paired to the Tpilot AP; over a usb wifi dongle.
Reason being, i try to maintain all default configuration in case of any single failure point.

Ill use tinypilot wifi client only for updates!

Then in Oplotter, pypilot is connected to <tinypilot>.  Wind mode appears in dropdown list; i select it; AP turns BLUE;
and heading cursors (red and green) swing to wind direction momentarily; then pypilot revers back to compass mode.

Looks like pypilot makes decisions off of signalK states, and that data is never establishing residence in the signalK node.

(2019-10-10, 03:38 PM)wdee Wrote: ..trying to emulate wind mode:

Executed script on OPlotter which is paired to the Tpilot AP; over a usb wifi dongle.
Reason being, i try to maintain all default configuration in case of any single failure point.

Then in Oplotter, pypilot is connected to <tinypilot>.  Wind mode appears in dropdown list; i select it; AP turns BLUE;
and heading cursors (red and green) swing to wind direction momentarily; then pypilot revers back to compass mode.

Looks like pypilot makes decisions off of signalK states, and that data is never establishing residence in the signalK node.

When emulation wind source is run against OP/127.0.0.1; Lab results look very good!
Your wind source seems to work just fine!
(2019-10-12, 05:05 PM)wdee Wrote:

When emulation wind source is run against OP/127.0.0.1; Lab results look very good!

Is the wind mode working now without reverting to compass mode?

In early versions it would revert to compass if the wind speed was too low, but some wind sensors are not able to detect low wind speeds (cups stop) but the wind direction vane still is correct and the boat can still sail.
(2019-10-14, 01:46 AM)seandepagnier Wrote:
(2019-10-12, 05:05 PM)wdee Wrote:

Is the wind mode working now without reverting to compass mode?

In early versions it would revert to compass if the wind speed was too low, but some wind sensors are not able to detect low wind speeds (cups stop) but the wind direction vane still is correct and the boat can still sail.

Yes, in the OPlotter plugin from what I can see.
Never using wind direction and/or velocity for AP, i would guess weather should always sqwauk a speed of 0.1/unit so that direction would still be usable in that case.